Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
They just make themselves look like fools. Men and women enter the military knowing that their service could result in the ultimate sacrifice. When the government announced that Canada would participate in air strikes against ISIS and that members of the military would also go to "train" Kurdish forces, anyone who knows anything about the military knows what this really means. In this day an age this type of bombing campaign requires on-the-ground observers to spot and verify targets; this is one of the tasks that special forces are trained for. Of course they are going to have to operate in the "front lines" and they will sometimes have to engage the enemy in combat. That doesn't mean that their primary purpose there is a combat mission. The fact that the Opposition is trying to argue that the government is "lying to Canadians" is ridiculous. Again, they make themselves out to look like fools, and are insulting each and every member of the CF in the process.
You are absolutely wrong. Actually everything you say about the mission is true but the government deliberately LIED to Canadians about it.

"I asked the prime minister straight up in September whether this was a combat mission, whether Canadian troops would be involved in combat. I got a categorical answer, and the answer was no," Mulcair told reporters during an event at a Toronto child-care centre Tuesday.
What do you not understand about that simple NO statement? We who demand the truth from the government are not as you put it "fools". It's those who blindly accept and believe all the lies and spin coming from the Harperites who are fools!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,409 times
Just because Mulcair is ignorant when it comes to how modern militaries function doesn't mean Harper "lied" to him or anyone else. The special forces sent to Iraq are not there specifically to engage in combat with ISIS, so it's not a "combat mission" - but they will engage ISIS in combat if the situation arises, but this doesn't mean that it's a combat mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You are absolutely wrong. Actually everything you say about the mission is true but the government deliberately LIED to Canadians about it.

"I asked the prime minister straight up in September whether this was a combat mission, whether Canadian troops would be involved in combat. I got a categorical answer, and the answer was no," Mulcair told reporters during an event at a Toronto child-care centre Tuesday.
What do you not understand about that simple NO statement? We who demand the truth from the government are not as you put it "fools". It's those who blindly accept and believe all the lies and spin coming from the Harperites who are fools!!!!!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Just because Mulcair is ignorant when it comes to how modern militaries function doesn't mean Harper "lied" to him or anyone else. The special forces sent to Iraq are not there specifically to engage in combat with ISIS, so it's not a "combat mission" - but they will engage ISIS in combat if the situation arises, but this doesn't mean that it's a combat mission.
Of course it's a "Combat mission". When your air force is bombing the enemy it's combat. I don't believe we should be involved in "Fighting" at all over there. Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? They are all bad. Fighting Isis is helping Assad. Fighting Isis makes you Iran's ally! How is that in the interests of Canada? It's just not!!!!!! Everything Harper does is just just USA lite, it makes me puke!!!! I would be totally in favour of a big Canadian humanitarian effort in the region. Assisting the refugees, housing all the displaced, treating all the wounded etc. Harper's an idiot and I will celebrate the day he is permanently gone from public view.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
I'm with Bottie on this one.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Shameful response. If freedom and democracy and stopping genocidal maniacs isn't a "noble cause" -- what is?
How can you buy into this stupid crap? Freedom and democracy my AZZ!!!!!!!! You sound like a deranged Yankee! If we for some reason or another feel it's Canada's business, "Stopping genocidal maniacs" there is an entire world full of them out there for us to fight. This kind of idiotic foreign policy has made the USA a pariah in the world. It has bankrupted the nation, killed and maimed countless American youth, deranged hundreds of thousands of returning vets with PSTD , killed millions of innocent civilians and has NEVER ADVANCED 'FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY" A SINGLE FREAKIN INCH!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Me too.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

If you think this is just Americas war you are mistaken,these terrorists dont differentiate between Canada and America they just see western culture a culture that they have vowed to destroy worldwide.
At what point would you view ISIS as a threat to Canada and agree that a determined effort is needed to wipe these terrorists out.?After a major tragedy occurs here in Canada? or is their nothing these terrorists do that will make you think taking the fight to them is a worthy course of action?

ISIS urges jihadists to attack Canadians: 'You will not feel secure in your bedrooms' | National Post

ISIS spokesman praises Ottawa shooting; calls for attack in the West | CTV News

West Edmonton Mall named in al-Shabaab video as possible target - World - CBC News

ISIS Renews Previous Calls for Attacks in West as Police Remain Vigilant - ABC News

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is a war Canada willingly entered when it didn't need to.

I am disgusted by all the touchy feely stories about "heroes" as if these soldiers died from fighting for some noble cause. The fact is, Canada sent these young men to die for nothing. It is US's war and Canada should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Any death or casualty, unfortunately, is for nothing and achieves nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Let me ask, which happened first, that Canada sent troops to wipe them off, or ISIS threatens to attack Canadians? Before Canada was involved in this war, was Canada ever attacked by ISIS? Explain to me.

Don't tell me the fact they attack the US already means attack on the free world including Canada.

I hate these brainwashing terms such as "free world". No country is free and nobody is free. Just because a country is has a democratic political system, among all systems, doesn't mean we are free.

I don't think I will be able to convince you here because your mind is obviously made up in this evil vs. good argument, but I can assure you the truth is far from this simple (ISIS is downright evil terrorists who hate the "freedom" of western countries and want to wipe us off, and we are fighting a noble and brave war for the freedom and democracy of mankind - only a 6 year old's world is that black and white).

You guys keep mourning.
Wake up!

Have you been sitting with your head in the sand for the past third of a century?

Before they attacked America they attacked other countries in the United Kingdom, Europe, South and East Asian countries, the Middle East and Africa then they proceeded to attack other westernized countries who had been uninvolved before they attacked Canada, Australia and other coalition allies.

Either you have not been paying attention and are totally ignorant of the terrorist events going on around the world for the past 32 years or else you are making excuses and protesting so much because you sympathize with these islamic terrorists.

Timeline of islamic terrorist attacks and locations around the world since 1983:

List of Islamic terrorist attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM

30 posts, read 31,755 times
Afghanistan veteran here. I say we go and get them. I spent years trying to make the world a better place for Canadians and our allies. It was a tough ride, but I knew what I was getting into. Now with ISIS it is clear that the job wasn't completed. ISIS is just a big slap in the face to all of our efforts. They are basically sending a big F U to us and our allies and openly trying to erase all of our work.

It would be nice to get some more support from the home front. There are many people who seem to want to undermine Canadians like Sgt. Dorion but they have no idea the reality in these places or what we go through. I want to know how many of these people have actually been to the bad parts of the middle east + central Asia? I have, and I have seen first hand, not on CTV, first hand what is going on. If you don't care about Canada, you should care about the innocent people who are trapped in the middle of this. It's easy to see some images on your screen, but when it happens in real life right in front of you it can't be easily forgotten.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Wake up!

Have you been sitting with your head in the sand for the past third of a century?

Before they attacked America they attacked other countries in the United Kingdom, Europe, South and East Asian countries, the Middle East and Africa then they proceeded to attack other westernized countries who had been uninvolved before they attacked Canada, Australia and other coalition allies.

Either you have not been paying attention and are totally ignorant of the terrorist events going on around the world for the past 32 years or else you are making excuses and protesting so much because you sympathize with these islamic terrorists.

Timeline of islamic terrorist attacks and locations around the world since 1983:

List of Islamic terrorist attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of course they did enough bad thing. But that's just one side of the story, isn't it? For example, why don't you provide a list of terrorism actions conducted by Israel.

Right, you don't want to.

What about what caused some of the terrorist attacks, such as some countries' reckless interference in other nation's business.

For example, regarding the 1993 WTO attack:
According to the journalist Steve Coll, Yousef mailed letters to various New York newspapers just before the attack, in which he claimed he belonged to 'Liberation Army, Fifth Battalion'. These letters made three demands: an end to all US aid to Israel, an end to US diplomatic relations with Israel, and a pledge by the United States to end interference "with any of the Middle East countries' interior affairs."

And before 2014, when Canada became all crazy about sending troops and "make the world a better place", I don't see anything they did in Canada.

Look, I don't sympathize any sorts of terrorism killing innocent civilians, but in the mean time, I won't believe for a second the story that it is a black and white matter, or a good versus evil fight, as our media always seems to portray it to be. The west did enough to create the mess, and cause such resentment, and you guys don't seem to think it is necessary for western countries should take a look in the mirror and examine whether they are all so blameless. The British followed by the Americans created this mess, and continue to make it worse and worse, and now they are just lying in the bed they made.

If Canada wants to be part of this pretending we are a "democratic countries family" fighting a noble war, well, prepare for any retaliation. Just keep in mind, when you send troops to meddle in countries that didn't harm you directly in the first place, they WILL retaliate. Canada was never within their radar and that was fortunate for Canadians, but now we have decided to be involved, fine, but don't complain about getting burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada