Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 AM

678 posts, read 875,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think you guys are too conservative.

if you want to move to Canada, then move to Canada. Canada allows American citizens to stay up to 6 months a year, move here on tourist visa and then start looking for a job in your area. Once getting an offer, go to the border and change your status to TN or regular working visa if the employer is willing to sponsor.

6 months should be long enough to find a job. If you can't find a job in 6 months, then probably you are not a good fit for Canada.

Everyone expects to have PR or a permanent job lined up ready before anything happens. You know what, take a bit risk.

Of course it applies to single persons without dependents. If you have two kids to feed, that's a different story.
good advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times
Unless you have a degree or marry someone from there, pretty much impossible from what I've gathered. There are a few trades that you can do there, and finding a job there helps, but basically Canada doesn't want American retail workers when they can get rich moguls from China or high-level Apple employees instead.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Unless you have a degree or marry someone from there, pretty much impossible from what I've gathered. There are a few trades that you can do there, and finding a job there helps, but basically Canada doesn't want American retail workers when they can get rich moguls from China or high-level Apple employees instead.
Immigration is always about need, and hardly any country really needs retail associates with minimum skills.

The vast majority immigrants from China are in the high skilled workers category. The "rich moguls" are very few.

There is no point in complaining about how difficult it is to immigrate to Canada, especially from an American, when immigrating to the US is probably 5 times harder.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM

678 posts, read 875,361 times
Quote:
Immigration is always about need, and hardly any country really needs retail associates with minimum skills.

The vast majority immigrants from China are in the high skilled workers category. The "rich moguls" are very few.

There is no point in complaining about how difficult it is to immigrate to Canada, especially from an American, when immigrating to the US is probably 5 times harder.
Racism in America: "Go back to yer country!"
Racism in Canada: "Go back to your country..sorry."
Racism in Australia: "Go back to your country, mate."

Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 AM

518 posts, read 871,687 times
Quote:
I think you guys are too conservative.

if you want to move to Canada, then move to Canada. Canada allows American citizens to stay up to 6 months a year, move here on tourist visa and then start looking for a job in your area. Once getting an offer, go to the border and change your status to TN or regular working visa if the employer is willing to sponsor.

6 months should be long enough to find a job. If you can't find a job in 6 months, then probably you are not a good fit for Canada.

Everyone expects to have PR or a permanent job lined up ready before anything happens. You know what, take a bit risk.

Of course it applies to single persons without dependents. If you have two kids to feed, that's a different story.
Great post. And if you move to Canada for six months and decide you don't like it for whatever reason and want to head home, it can be as easy as a few hours in the car back (or quick flight) for many Americans. No big deal. Not much lost and you gained the experience of living in another country-which many people will find interesting.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
Keep in mind, the vast majority of CJ jobs here require citizenship. There are exceptions, such as loss prevention or corporate security investigations.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 PM

54 posts, read 106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I have a degree, and am single here with no kids.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM

86 posts, read 222,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartrdr View Post
I'm in a similar situation so I'll ask my question here.

I'm a permanent resident who's been living in the United States for roughly 15 years (My passport is Japanese). I speak English as my primary language but also can also speak Japanese fluently. I've never had the urge to become a citizen here and I'm toying with the idea of immigrating to Canada.

I have a undergraduate degree in psychology and a graduate degree in software engineering. With that, roughly a year of professional experience in software engineering, a year in translation, a couple of years of software testing and some odd number of years in customer service. If I were to decide on applying, I'd like to get some more experience with engineering under my belt.

Think I have a shot here? Any insights would be much appreciated.
your background isn't too different from mine. I have a BA in math and worked 3 years after college before applying for skilled worker PR. I got selected after about a year and received my PR 2 years after that.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 AM

54 posts, read 106,791 times
Quote:

So could I rent out a room as a sublease in, say. Vancouver and come on a tourist visa and then find a job? (I havesavings to tide me over for awhile if I find roommates on craigslist).

Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
So could I rent out a room as a sublease in, say. Vancouver and come on a tourist visa and then find a job? (I have savings to tide me over for awhile if I find roommates on craigslist).
Try by all means.
And check out if you qualify any of the NAFTA jobs

Professions Covered by NAFTA | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada