Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM

54 posts, read 106,827 times

Advertisements

I am an American recent college graduate with a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I would like to move to Canada as I like their scenery, politics and find the country to be a lot more tolerant than the states. I am open to different provinces outside of Quebec, but am leaning toward Alberta, Vancouver or Winnipeg. How difficult is it to relocate and get citizenship for an American who is NOT of means? I researched about an express entry visa but am not sure if I am considered skilled or not. Any advice or opinions if this is feasible given my circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Check this out, click on start to take the questionnaire to find out if you may qualify to immigrate:

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 AM

54 posts, read 106,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Check this out, click on start to take the questionnaire to find out if you may qualify to immigrate:

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

Thanks Zosite. How do you like BC? I was considering Vancouver as one of my top choices. Is life better in Canada than the US?

Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
There is also a sticky post with a lot of information on this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-laws-etc.html

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Your degree in Criminal Justice, from the US, is not going to be of much use in Canada, given the very different system of laws that we have here. For just one example, Canada has a national Criminal Code that applies in all parts of the country, while the US has 50 States, each with their own statutes. We are a Parliamentary Democracy, while the US is a Republic.

A second point.......What actual working experience do you have, that is related to your Degree ? Canadian Immigration approval is decided on a combination of your formal educational training, plus at least three years of direct employment in your field of expertise. Obviously, there are a number of other factors that need to be assessed, such as financial stability, medical fitness, and a 100 percent clean criminal record check.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,809 times
I'm in a similar situation so I'll ask my question here.

I'm a permanent resident who's been living in the United States for roughly 15 years (My passport is Japanese). I speak English as my primary language but also can also speak Japanese fluently. I've never had the urge to become a citizen here and I'm toying with the idea of immigrating to Canada.

I have a undergraduate degree in psychology and a graduate degree in software engineering. With that, roughly a year of professional experience in software engineering, a year in translation, a couple of years of software testing and some odd number of years in customer service. If I were to decide on applying, I'd like to get some more experience with engineering under my belt.

Think I have a shot here? Any insights would be much appreciated.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartrdr View Post
I'm in a similar situation so I'll ask my question here.

I'm a permanent resident who's been living in the United States for roughly 15 years (My passport is Japanese). I speak English as my primary language but also can also speak Japanese fluently. I've never had the urge to become a citizen here and I'm toying with the idea of immigrating to Canada.

I have a undergraduate degree in psychology and a graduate degree in software engineering. With that, roughly a year of professional experience in software engineering, a year in translation, a couple of years of software testing and some odd number of years in customer service. If I were to decide on applying, I'd like to get some more experience with engineering under my belt.

Think I have a shot here? Any insights would be much appreciated.
I think there is a link by Immigration Canada where you can check for eligibility first. After that you can initiate by submitting an online application. The whole process is a lot more streamlined and shorter than the PR sponsoring process in America.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
Thanks Zosite. How do you like BC? I was considering Vancouver as one of my top choices. Is life better in Canada than the US?
Haaar; c'mon now. Your profile header includes your location being "the sweetest place on earth" and we're to take you seriously with questioning someone else who may never have set foot in the "sweetest place on earth" if where they're from is better?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
That was the wrong question to ask, it is also an unfair question to ask of any people who don't live in the USA. You should discard your biases otherwise you will find Canadians are not as tolerant as you think they are and if you apply to immigrate your biases may disqualify you if they show up during assessments.

I prefer Canada to USA (I prefer Canada to all other countries in the world and that's why I'm here) but I don't think either country is better or worse than the other.

If you're interested in learning more about Canada you should be doing so based on Canada's own merits and uniqueness, not based on how it compares with your own positive or negative biases about some other country. Forget about how you feel about the other country and don't ask people how they feel about the other country. The other country is irrelevant to the situation.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
I think you guys are too conservative.

if you want to move to Canada, then move to Canada. Canada allows American citizens to stay up to 6 months a year, move here on tourist visa and then start looking for a job in your area. Once getting an offer, go to the border and change your status to TN or regular working visa if the employer is willing to sponsor.

6 months should be long enough to find a job. If you can't find a job in 6 months, then probably you are not a good fit for Canada.

Everyone expects to have PR or a permanent job lined up ready before anything happens. You know what, take a bit risk.

Of course it applies to single persons without dependents. If you have two kids to feed, that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada