Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM

13 posts, read 13,003 times

Advertisements

This thread was from a year ago. But, I thought I'd respond and agree with what most have said. The affinity for Canada is quite real here in Minnesota. It's not just winter sports and an accent (which I think is quite different, anyway). It's the politics and the humanity we love about Canada! It's what we wish America could be...good old fashioned liberalism and pragmatism! We get it. Maybe Canadians don't know we get it. But, we get it! Also, we, like Canada are generally more accepting of other cultures than other places in the US...especially in the Midwest! We celebrate diversity here...we cherish it! So, maybe Canada doesn't feel anything for us. But, for myself and the people I know, we certainly know and love Canada and appreciate the similarities! Now, will you guys please annex us already?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,338,621 times
I'm from New Brunswick... I've never been to Minnesota. So, not really. No more so than any other northern state. I'd feel more of an affinity to northern New England, TBH. The coastal communities, the rural lifestyle, the history of the area... it's a lot closer to what I grew up with.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdooper22 View Post
Minnesota is very Canadian in many ways. Do Canucks feel a cultural affinity to them?

Everytime I watch Fargo I always think it's a movie set in Canada.
May I ask why?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM

380 posts, read 427,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdooper22 View Post
Minnesota is very Canadian in many ways. Do Canucks feel a cultural affinity to them?

Everytime I watch Fargo I always think it's a movie set in Canada.
I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan living in Toronto. Does that count as cultural affinity?

Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 AM

213 posts, read 226,198 times
Minnesota and Canada have very little in common apart from the climate (maybe, depends on where in Canada you are.)

Canada is in general a very cosmopolitan, secular, open-minded country.

Minnesota is an insular Midwestern state with a fair bit of fundamentalist religiosity and racism lying barely below the surface (once you get out of MSP). It produced Michelle Bachmann, for god's sake.

Socially and culturally, the two places are extremely different.

I think in general, Canada is far more accepting of human diversity (racial, religious, sexual - even just people being eccentric and odd) than just about anywhere in the US. And even more so than the Midwest, which is conformist and generally passively hostile to outsiders.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Minnesota and Canada have very little in common apart from the climate (maybe, depends on where in Canada you are.)

Canada is in general a very cosmopolitan, secular, open-minded country.

Minnesota is an insular Midwestern state with a fair bit of fundamentalist religiosity and racism lying barely below the surface (once you get out of MSP). It produced Michelle Bachmann, for god's sake.

Socially and culturally, the two places are extremely different.

I think in general, Canada is far more accepting of human diversity (racial, religious, sexual - even just people being eccentric and odd) than just about anywhere in the US. And even more so than the Midwest, which is conformist and generally passively hostile to outsiders.
Oh gawd - I forgot about Michelle Bachmann.. Probably a self preservation measure.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:22 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,318,279 times
I live in Manitoba, I know a lot of people that travel down there several times a year, specially some of my coworkers, they all seem to really like it. I have only passed through but I will be down there this summer I will report back here to let you know If I feel like I never left Canada.

I agree with Ottawas comment, parts of coastal New England and the Maritimes feel very similar. Probably the regions of our countries that are the most similar, IMO.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM

579 posts, read 659,348 times
Minnesota just seems to be an unattractive location (even though, for a bike lover, it's not true) to the people around me in South Shore. Yet, for some reason, Minneapolis seems to be like a much more sprawling version (and larger as well) of Winnipeg to them or something like that.

Perhaps Minneapolis' built form is too similar to the large Prairie cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg on the Canadian side) or otherwise evoke said cities...

Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,318,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Minnesota just seems to be an unattractive location (even though, for a bike lover, it's not true) to the people around me in South Shore. Yet, for some reason, Minneapolis seems to be like a much more sprawling version (and larger as well) of Winnipeg to them or something like that.

Perhaps Minneapolis' built form is too similar to the large Prairie cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg on the Canadian side) or otherwise evoke said cities...
From what I can see on google street view, parts of Minneapolis do look like Winnipeg. Though I noticed certain parts of Minneapolis look a bit hilly.

I have heard people say (and read it on here) that Winnipeg is the Chicago of the North. I really don't know where that comparison comes from, but the cities don't look or feel similar at all to me, I don't know if there is a specific reason for that comparison. Maybe the Minneapolis of the North is a better comparson.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
From what I can see on google street view, parts of Minneapolis do look like Winnipeg. Though I noticed certain parts of Minneapolis look a bit hilly.

I have heard people say (and read it on here) that Winnipeg is the Chicago of the North. I really don't know where that comparison comes from, but the cities don't look or feel similar at all to me, I don't know if there is a specific reason for that comparison. Maybe the Minneapolis of the North is a better comparson.
Chicago of the North is a relic from another era, when Winnipeg was Canada's third largest city and the biggest in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada