Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:50 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,852,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Is your brain frozen? lol I don't need to look at a map to see how wrong this statement is.

689 kms.

Windsor is 846 kms south of Winnipeg. It would be like me driving to Chattanooga Tennessee. lol
And here in Tennessee, though it's cooler than normal for this time of year, we've had temps in the high 60s and low 70s the last few weeks. Going 846 kms south does make a bit of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,960 times
I would not, could not, live in a country with such a short Vespa riding season. West Michigan's is short enough.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,949,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL.

Some people might argue with you and tell you that Canada is much colder than Russia, therefore Russia is not a cold country.

Then you can tell them if they don't like the cold in Canada they should move to Russia.

You would be surprised at places in Russia that are milder than Vancouver. So no, I think Russia is warmer in that regard.

Sochi is warmer in winter than Vancouver and Toronto. Grozny, same latitude as Toronto, is warmer in January and the rest of the year than Toronto and that is comparing 1961-1990 averages with Toronto 1981-2010 averages.

Southern Russia has warmer climates than southern Canada.

Still this is kind of a strange thread, cause just about everyone in the world thinks of Canada as a cold country. Most folks outside Canada would assume that Canadians have long ago adjusted to this. If maybe you had some small area that was subtropical people would see images of that place on the news and may think differently. But alas, there is just not one spot of Canadian territory that is subtropical.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
This is the best we got associated with lattitude:

Pelee, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pelee Island Heritage Centre | The War of 1812 – Tall Ship is coming!

Pelee Island Winery

Old 04-07-2015, 05:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Both Windsor and Toronto have been about 2 degrees lower than historical average this March, and Windsor was 2 degrees warmer than Toronto.

You know what, compared with cold US cities such as Boston and Chicago, March is the month when Toronto is noticeably colder, which means although Boston and Chicago might be as cold as Toronto in Jan/Feb, we have a longer winter.

Average March high in Toronto (downtown): 4.7C

Chicago (midway airport): 8.2C
Boston (logan airport): 7.4C
Pittsburgh (airport): 9.6C
Manhattan (central park): 9.8C
Even Minneapolis is 0.5C warmer than Toronto in March and a full 3 degrees warmer in April.

Philadelphia is 11.5C, not even the same season. Toronto is about one month late than Philly as we have an April high of exactly the same. Honestly, I don't consider Philadelphia a cold city with a high of 4.6C in Jan, but Toronto definitely is.

As I always say, it is not the cold winter that is annoying. It is the duration of it. For Toronto, spring happens after April 15.
Toronto does seem colder in early spring due to being on the very cold Lake Ontario. Our spring weather seems to arrive about two or so weeks before it hits Toronto.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM

71 posts, read 104,059 times
We've had a good mix of summer-like weather in Vancouver for the last two/three weeks. Spring weather since the beginning of February.

Flowers out in full force, clear sunny skies, shorts and t-shirt weather (or light jacket, sweater), convertibles cruising, windows down, sun/moon roofs open.

Temperatures anywhere from 10 - 20 Celsius during the day, not California weather but just perfect for the last few months. Better than the -30 to -10 with or without windchill the rest of the country has had and just recently began to transition into spring.

Windsor is the extreme south of Canada. Winnipeg is not even south, Vancouver and Victoria, pretty much all of Southern Ontario, and the Montreal area are all below it. Winnipeg isn't the place to live if you want warm weather, cold winters, hot summers, not much in between.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,421,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrey Jack View Post

Windsor is the extreme south of Canada. Winnipeg is not even south, Vancouver and Victoria, pretty much all of Southern Ontario, and the Montreal area are all below it. Winnipeg isn't the place to live if you want warm weather, cold winters, hot summers, not much in between.
How is Winnipeg not south? It is not the most southern point in the country, but it is in the south. We are probably closer to Mexico than were are to Canadas most northern boundary. The vast majority of Canadian territory is north of Winnipeg.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
And here in Tennessee, though it's cooler than normal for this time of year, we've had temps in the high 60s and low 70s the last few weeks. Going 846 kms south does make a bit of a difference.
Or just living on the west coast, even up north in Alaska. Throughout all of this past winter all of coastal Alaska extending 100 miles inland had little to no snow and had warmer temperatures than all states in the lower 48, even warmer than Florida several times in the dead of winter.

It's not unusual to see that happen along coastal BC (which had pretty much no winter this year - spring growing started in mid-January) but that's the first time I've seen so much of Alaska go through an entire winter of warm temperatures like that.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,906,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I just got back to Toronto from D.C and there is certainly a difference.. I guess it depends on how big of a deal it is for people.. The transition from Winter weather to Spring is certainly a bit longer up here than your parts - even a few hundred kilometers makes a difference.. This is the forecast for the next 7 days in T.O... This is classic transitionary weather in T.O though this year a bit later than normal for us... Hey this winter has just sucked period so i'm not surprised..

April 8 - 2 degrees c chance of freezing rain in the morn
April 9 - 6 degrees c overcast rainy
April 10- 14 degrees c overcast rainy
April 11- 10 degrees c mainly sunny
April 12 - 12 degrees c mainly suny
April 13 - 15 degrees chance of showers
April 14 - 12 degrees light rain

Probably fair to say the 2 degrees we'll have tomorrow will be the coldest day we will have until the end of October into November..

Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,741,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I just got back to Toronto from D.C and there is certainly a difference.. I guess it depends on how big of a deal it is for people.. The transition from Winter weather to Spring is certainly a bit longer up here than your parts - even a few hundred kilometers makes a difference.. This is the forecast for the next 7 days in T.O... This is classic transitionary weather in T.O though this year a bit later than normal for us... Hey this winter has just sucked period so i'm not surprised..

April 8 - 2 degrees c chance of freezing rain in the morn
April 9 - 6 degrees c overcast rainy
April 10- 14 degrees c overcast rainy
April 11- 10 degrees c mainly sunny
April 12 - 12 degrees c mainly suny
April 13 - 15 degrees chance of showers
April 14 - 12 degrees light rain

Probably fair to say the 2 degrees we'll have tomorrow will be the coldest day we will have until the end of October into November..
I noticed too. I expect (somewhat wishfully) that tomorrow will be the real start of spring (with no winter coming back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada