Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where to stop and what to see? 3 days: leaving on a Tuesday arriving in Calgary Friday.
Definitely plan to spend a good day in Banff area.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Kelowna/Okanagan Valley, Lake Louise and Banff.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
It all depends on what you want to see. Personally, if I was taking three days, I'd go from Vancouver to Kamloops via Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon and Cashe Creek instead of the Coquihalla, BC 5, over the top.

From Kamloops go north to Highway 16 and head to Jasper. You pass Mt. Robson, which is the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies, and end up in Jasper, which is Banff lite. From Jasper head down the Icefields Parkway, which is just breathtaking, you come out at Lake Louise, and can hit LL, Moraine Lake, (back of the old C$20 bill) and then take 1A, the Bow Valley Parkway down to Banff.

Depending on when in July, Calgary will be busy, as it's Stampede from the 3rd - 12th.

It's a great trip. Have fun.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:53 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Here are some photos I took on a trip from Victoria to Calgary a few years ago... Parks Trip Photos by pugbug | Photobucket

There are also some from the trip back through Jasper, and a side trip to Kananaskis.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Will be me and my wife, who will be six months pregnant. So I don't think we'll be doing wine tours, or a whole lot of hiking. And it's late July so we'll miss the Stampede.

Can you guys suggest any specific must-sees knowing that we won't be doing any hours-long hikes? This is tough cause there are soo many great options! I'm thinking Lake Louise and Banff for sure.

Mike, I feel like Jasper is maybe a bit too out of the way (I don't like driving long distances that much) unless you're telling me it's an absolutely can not miss...

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Can you guys suggest any specific must-sees knowing that we won't be doing any hours-long hikes? This is tough cause there are soo many great options! I'm thinking Lake Louise and Banff for sure.

Mike, I feel like Jasper is maybe a bit too out of the way (I don't like driving long distances that much) unless you're telling me it's an absolutely can not miss...
Some suggestions that you might find suitable, given your parameters. I'm going to assume that you are travelling on Highway 1, the Trans-Canada Highway.

While still in BC, you might like to see if you can spot a train going through the Spiral Tunnels, in Yoho National Park. Also in the same general area is the exit to Takkakaw Falls, easily accessible by car, though watch out for the switchbacks.

A day at Lake Louise can easily be spent just walking alongside the lake. The lakeside trail is quite long, but it is fairly level, and you can turn back at any time. You might also enjoy afternoon tea at the Chateau Lake Louise--it's a little pricey, but quite elegant, and you can't beat the view.

Banff has many options. You can drive up to the Cave and Basin; from the parking area, a short walk brings you to the springs themselves. It's a bit of an uphill walk, but nothing onerous. You could ride the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain, and take in the view. A drive up Mt. Norquay will bring you to a number of pullouts, with beautiful views of the mountains. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it among the ruins of Bankhead Townsite (not quite like it sounds; the buildings have been demolished, though the foundations remain, and there is a proper picnic area there); then, if you feel up to it, walk through Bankhead Mine Site. Or, have your picnic by the shores of Lake Minnewonka, which is easily accessible by car. And of course, there is always--you guessed it--afternoon tea at the Banff Springs Hotel.

Hope you have a great trip!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I think you can pass on Jasper, but I would definitely head up the icefields parkway to see Peyto Lake and the Bow Glacier.

Moraine lake and the valley of ten peaks is nicer/more impressive to me than Lake Louise, and it's just down the same road. I'd still take the Fraser Canyon then come through on the Trans-Canada if lots of driving isn't your thing.

Be aware that if you're driving on a Friday/Sunday/Monday there will be lots of traffic from Sicamous/Salmon Arm back to Calgary as everyone comes out for the weekends.

Peyto Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moraine Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other side of Banff towards Calgary is Kananaskis Country which is worth a visit of it's own.

Kananaskis Country

Old 04-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! Chevy, looks like everything you mentioned is in the general Banff area, which means we'll be packing A LOT into that last part of our trip. I'm excited by all the possibilities!

Mikeyyc...my apologies for not trusting your advice right off the bat, but I've changed my mind and we will indeed take your suggested detour through Mt Robson, Jasper, and the Icefields Pkwy!! It looks too awesome to miss. I think we'll stick to Coquihalla to get to Kamloops though.

So, new tentative itinerary:

Depart ~2p. First night stop in Kamloops, second night at Jasper, and third night in Canmore. Return the car in Calgary ~2p.

Sounds like from Mt Robson to Calgary we have a TON to see. Any advice on things to check out before that??

Thanks again really for all the thoughtful replies.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
I strongly recommend going through Kamloops rather than Kelowna. The drive is much shorter, but more importantly you avoid the stop and go traffic lights through Kelowna.

There are lots of places to stop along the way, and right on the highway that don't require hiking. The Salmon Arm area is really nice.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions!! Chevy, looks like everything you mentioned is in the general Banff area, which means we'll be packing A LOT into that last part of our trip. I'm excited by all the possibilities!

Mikeyyc...my apologies for not trusting your advice right off the bat, but I've changed my mind and we will indeed take your suggested detour through Mt Robson, Jasper, and the Icefields Pkwy!! It looks too awesome to miss. I think we'll stick to Coquihalla to get to Kamloops though.

So, new tentative itinerary:

Depart ~2p. First night stop in Kamloops, second night at Jasper, and third night in Canmore. Return the car in Calgary ~2p.

Sounds like from Mt Robson to Calgary we have a TON to see. Any advice on things to check out before that??

Thanks again really for all the thoughtful replies.
You won't be sorry. Jasper is beautiful and well worth going the little bit extra distance to see it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada