Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/roge...nt-social-stri

Thoughts? -- I think this is excellent so many are standing up!!!!

People should stand up about ALL KINDS OF ISSUES they feel are important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
We have no choice to make budget cuts we are broke and people are getting laid off...

People can protest all they ant but the money coming in is less then we can afford to spend going out people just have to deal with it...you can spend you time standing outside protesting or go try to find a job or go back to school and get retrained before those other 70,000 people figure it out you are already ahead of the game.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:07 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I understand why they're upset, some of the cuts by the Liberal government have been counter productive, or even harmful, as they try to get to a balanced budget. It may have been more sensible to cut spending but try to get to a zero deficit more gradually, perhaps over a couple years. That said, I don't think these protests will have the same effect as the ones a couple years ago. It's clear the medicine is needed, and though Quebec may understandably choke on it, I think people also generally agree on principle that austerity is needed at this time and that deficits cannot continue if Quebec is to be sustainable in the long term. The piper needs to be paid, sooner or later, or it'll be worse down the road, as it has been for Greece. And no, I'm not saying Quebec's situation is comparable to Greece's, but I am saying that not balancing the budget long term and taking on more and more debt takes us there eventually.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-13-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
Austerity is a good thing.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Quebec students launch anti-austerity, pro-environment 'social strike' and movement | rabble.ca

Thoughts? -- I think this is excellent so many are standing up!!!!

People should stand up about ALL KINDS OF ISSUES they feel are important!

No austerity, then where is the money supposed to come from?

Definitely not from the students, because they probably pay no taxes - wait, that's precisely why they are doing this - no austerity, spend more of everyone else's money on ME!

Are these the same students who thought paying $3000 a year for college tuition is too expensive and decided to "strike" couple of years ago?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Ya your right i suppose........ They cant just get it from thin air

Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Standing up against accountability and personal responsibility. We truly live in the age of entitlement and "me first" attitudes.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Standing up against accountability and personal responsibility. We truly live in the age of entitlement and "me first" attitudes.
me first is fine. We are all selfish. But this let everyone pay for what I want mentality, often under the guise of fairness, is downright disgusting.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
me first is fine. We are all selfish. But this let everyone pay for what I want mentality, often under the guise of fairness, is downright disgusting.
I disagree with "me first" mentality; selfishness is not a positive attribute, but I agree with your second point. The entitlement mentality that has crept into society will be our downfall.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I disagree with "me first" mentality; selfishness is not a positive attribute, but I agree with your second point. The entitlement mentality that has crept into society will be our downfall.
I am saying "me first is fine" because there is nothing one can do to avoid that.

The Ontario PC promised to cut 100,000 government jobs during the election last year, and you know what, probably 99.9% public sector employees voted for the liberals, not because they necessarily agree with the liberal ideas, but purely on the fear of losing their jobs, although, believe it or not, the Ontario government can function perfectly fine even by cutting 200,000 jobs. Many employees have an effective working hours of 2 (no joking). Most voters don't care about "what's the general good for the society", but rather "what's in it for me"?

This is why I think modern democracy is overrated and requires major overhaul. To allow public sectors workers decide if we should reduce the size of the public sector for example, is a conflict of interest. It is like asking the board of directors to vote whether their bonus this year should be slashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada