Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'll agree with you.

Heck, I'd go so far to say that Vancouver is the Canadian equivalent of LA County and San Francisco, but overall. Vancouver is to San Francisco what the Lions Gate is to the Golden Gate. Theoretically the same yet completely and utterly incomparable.
How anybody can compare Vancouver to San Francisco or Los Angeles County is beyond me. Same goes for trying to compare BC to California. The only similarity is they are on the West coast. The climates are entirely different, the demographics are much different. There simply is no comparison. Just accept the fact that they are different cities located in different countries.

There is no comparison between Calgary and Houston for the same reason. The only thing they have in common is oil.

Why do so many of you want to keep trying to compare Canadian cities with US cities? Each place is unique in its own way and we should appreciate the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post

Why do so many of you want to keep trying to compare Canadian cities with US cities? Each place is unique in its own way and we should appreciate the differences.
Because thats the topic, and while the weather is not going to be similar there are many other aspects to cities than just the weather that might make an American city similar in some respects to a Canadian city.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
How anybody can compare Vancouver to San Francisco or Los Angeles County is beyond me. Same goes for trying to compare BC to California. The only similarity is they are on the West coast. The climates are entirely different, the demographics are much different. There simply is no comparison. Just accept the fact that they are different cities located in different countries.

There is no comparison between Calgary and Houston for the same reason. The only thing they have in common is oil.

Because that's what the thread is about?

Obviously there's not climatic or cultural equivalent of California(or most of the US) in Canada--people are just having fun with broad comparisons based on several factors like the general situation of a city.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:

"com·pare
kəmˈper/
verb
gerund or present participle: comparing
estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between."

As in the phrase " Comparing apples and oranges ".

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I disagree with all these Vancouver - San Francisco comparisons. Vancouver isn't artsy nor is it anything close to being 'alternative'. It's really more just lululemon. I'd pair Montreal with SF, and even Toronto before I would even consider Vancouver.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I disagree with all these Vancouver - San Francisco comparisons. Vancouver isn't artsy nor is it anything close to being 'alternative'. It's really more just lululemon. I'd pair Montreal with SF, and even Toronto before I would even consider Vancouver.
You are really only talking about a couple of neighbourhoods in Vancouver that I would call " lululemon ".
Kits and Yaletown. South Main, the West End, Commercial Drive, Strathcona etc all have a totally different vibe.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
I agree, the vibe and look of SFC and Vancouver are very different. Even more so when you take the surrounding communities into consideration.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:46 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
This is quite true about Vancouver not being very alternative and ''granola" but it's also true of SF which is very ''silver spoon'' now with high property wealth, high tech money and highbrow wine and foodie tastes.

The hippies have either grown up and wealthy, or moved elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
agree.
Montreal and Toronto are more similar to San Fran than Vancouver. All the Vancouver-SF comparison is extremely odd to me. Besides the landscape, they have very little in common. Even in terms of nature, San Fran is famous for being hilly, Vancouver is not.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM

As outsiders, I don't think you guys are getting it. Since I live in Vancouver, and I have been to S.F. over 20 times perhaps I can shed some light on what Vancouver and S.F. have in common when comparing cities.

It is because of out of all the North American cities out there they are the two that have the MOST in common. Both are on ocean harbours ( although Vancouver's is protected by VI ), both have suspension bridges as part of the city skyline, both have mountains nearby, both have a strong Asian influence, both have downtowns on peninsula's, both share a gold rush past.

Perhaps you have to be from Vancouver to understand this, but the atmosphere sometimes in both cities is very close. I have been walking down a street in S.F. and felt I could of been in Vancouver. I have NEVER felt that in any other city.

Is it exactly the same? Of course not and the differences probably out weight the similarities, but it is the only city in North American that catches any of the vibes of Vancouver and vice versa.

Regardless what easterners think. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada