Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM

19 posts, read 24,747 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if the quality of life is better in BC than it is in any other province. The people seem healthier there, with more money, and a better education than most of the rest of Canada. I'd love to know how this is possible. Not saying that the rest of Canada is overwhelmingly inferior or anything, I have just noticed the difference in wellness between those from BC and those from other parts of Canada.

I think I read somewhere that the obesity rate is the lowest in BC and the life expectancy is the highest there. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
BC does well on a number of measures (healthy lifestyle, obesity, etc.) but it's a very subjective question.

I don't see a marked difference in "wellness" between BC and the rest of the country.

And not sure most BC families have more money in their pockets at the end of the day than those in Alberta or southern Ontario.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
VERY subjective. Everyone has their own version of paradise. More money??? I don't think so. Better education? Where are you getting that from?
As for healthy living? I can only go by what friends visiting from Toronto and Montreal have said. They seem to notice more people outdoors riding bikes, running, taking walks for pleasure, boating, hiking on the North Shore etc than they do back home.
However I'm not sure of any numbers to prove or disprove that, since I would assume in Toronto and Montreal those same type of people may be hidden in gyms or the like.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quality of life is very subjective.

For me, it might not work well simply because there is no cities large and busy enough for my taste. Vancouver would need to quintuple its size to make me happy.

Life expectancy is indeed the highest in Canada, but only marginally (80 vs 79 in ON for men, and both 84 for women, for example), but older people tend to move to BC, vs. say Sask, so the stats may not represent QoL.

Life expectancy at birth, by sex, by province

As to obesity, BC is lowest. But it has a higher overweight ratio than QC and ON, and is actually higher than national average (59% vs 58.6%).

Obesity in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
Keep in mind, life expectancy statistics should also factor in things like natural disasters. Euro-Canadian occupancy of the region only dates back maybe a 150 years or so, and during this time the region has been overdue for cataclysmic earthquakes, massive tsunamis, and exploding volcanoes. The whole region is complete unprepared for such occurrences and so aside from the initial death toll, many more will die in the after math. In other words, statistics about quality of life etc. are a bit skewed thanks to this abnormal dormancy in natural disasters. Personally, I think BC world be the least-safe part of Canada to reside (the arctic excepted).

Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Keep in mind, life expectancy statistics should also factor in things like natural disasters. Euro-Canadian occupancy of the region only dates back maybe a 150 years or so, and during this time the region has been overdue for cataclysmic earthquakes, massive tsunamis, and exploding volcanoes. The whole region is complete unprepared for such occurrences and so aside from the initial death toll, many more will die in the after math. In other words, statistics about quality of life etc. are a bit skewed thanks to this abnormal dormancy in natural disasters. Personally, I think BC world be the least-safe part of Canada to reside (the arctic excepted).
Life expectancy does not take into account natural disasters, since the statistics are based on historical data.
Even if a major earthquake were to happen the death toll would not affect the stats anyway as it would be insignificant. Did the L.A. or S.F. earthquakes lower the stats for life expectancy? Of course not.

You are going to have to save your apocalyptic scenario for another day.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:34 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Life expectancy does not take into account natural disasters, since the statistics are based on historical data.
Even if a major earthquake were to happen the death toll would not affect the stats anyway as it would be insignificant. Did the L.A. or S.F. earthquakes lower the stats for life expectancy? Of course not.

You are going to have to save your apocalyptic scenario for another day.
For the love of God, Nat... get out while you still can!!!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For the love of God, Nat... get out while you still can!!!!!
LOL.

In all seriousness, a huge earthquake would be devastating. Our schools in the Vancouver area need urgent seismic upgrading since a lot of them are old brick structures. The BC gov't keeps dragging it's feet on this one and keeps pushing the deadline further into the future.

The loss of life though in a city of 2 million will still most likely be low. In the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, 63 people died.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:03 PM

19 posts, read 24,747 times
Quote:
VERY subjective. Everyone has their own version of paradise. More money??? I don't think so. Better education? Where are you getting that from?
As for healthy living? I can only go by what friends visiting from Toronto and Montreal have said. They seem to notice more people outdoors riding bikes, running, taking walks for pleasure, boating, hiking on the North Shore etc than they do back home.
However I'm not sure of any numbers to prove or disprove that, since I would assume in Toronto and Montreal those same type of people may be hidden in gyms or the like.
Replace "quality of life" with "standard of living" then if you wish. My point being, that British Columbians are more enriched than other Canadians socioeconomically. As for money, come on. Vancouver is the most expensive city in the country to live in. If you don't have a decent amount of money you can not live there. British Columbians do seem better educated to me, or at least much more confident in their intellectual abilities than Canadians I have met from other provinces. Mind you, they're also not the most humble that I have met, so perhaps other Canadians are just as educated but a lot more withdrawn to express it. Could be either I suppose. I am still opting for the former.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:04 PM

98 posts, read 132,515 times
Quote:
I was going to say... I'll grant you that people in BC might be healthier but I don't recall anyone ever talking about all the extra money they had laying around.

I can't really say that people in BC seemed any better educated than anywhere else in Canada. UBC is a great school, but I'd imagine that Canada's education capitals are still Ontario and Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada