Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you don't believe me, take a tour of the Capitol in DC with a bunch of Americans and take a tour of Parliament in Ottawa with random Canadians.

Even the most dumbass Americans seem to always have a bunch of stuff that rings a bell for them when touring the Capitol.

In Ottawa, except for one or two keeners you usually get in every group, most Canadians on the tour usually act like it's the first time they've ever heard of any of this stuff.

Signed: "retired" Parliament Hill tour guide
Now this I believe. I totally believe that Americans touring their capital/Capitol would know more about their history than Canadians making a similar tour do about theirs. But I think that is in part due to a very different history - they fought a war of independence and a civil war - the meaning of their nation is different than the meaning we have for ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
this is actually very accurate. In fact i was so surprised at the insight that i dropped my joint onto the wet ground near the tree i was hugging. I'm so weird, that my yoga pants fit better backwards. :d:d
Why am I not surprised? And I totally forgot about the joint stereotype and also the "BC equals 'bring cash'" stereotype.

And just to show how inaccurate stereotypes can be, I have a SIL who fits a BC stereotype perfectly, only she's not from BC.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
I was actually joking around a bit because someone said all Americans know about the regions of their country is stereotypes.

I don't actually agree with that, and still maintain that Americans know more about their country than Canadians know about theirs.

I mean... how could they NOT? Their popular culture is all about the US, its realities, its politics, its history, etc. Their news is very US-focused. Everything is internally focused down there. There is virtually no slippage to stuff from a foreign country like there is in Canada at all. It's very difficult to tune out the Americana down there - even if you wanted to.
Again, media is a major filter of true knowledge. They may know their popular culture, but how many really know their real history? Why do so many write off the middle of their country by referring to it as " fly over states"? Are those people basing this on actual fact, or what they've been fed by stereotypes perpetuated by media? Is that really " knowing " your country??

Knowing popular culture is not the way I would measure knowing your country. It is much more complex than that.

As far as most of the news in the US actually reflects the reality of the country, that is debatable. So how much of this knowledge is tainted?

I'm not saying that the US isn't US focused and ignores most of the world in it's News. When it does focus on events outside of the US it's mainly how those events affect the US, or if the US was involved.

I think where we are not meeting in the middle is that you are speaking about what Americans " hear " about their country, and I'm speaking about what they " know " about their country.

On the knowledge part, I'd say Canada is doing fine.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
If you don't believe me, take a tour of the Capitol in DC with a bunch of Americans and take a tour of Parliament in Ottawa with random Canadians.

Even the most dumbass Americans seem to always have a bunch of stuff that rings a bell for them when touring the Capitol.

In Ottawa, except for one or two keeners you usually get in every group, most Canadians on the tour usually act like it's the first time they've ever heard of any of this stuff.

That doesn't really surprised me, because of the way Americans have elevated their history to almost religious status.

We aren't built that way here in Canada. However...those ignorant tourist still came to Parliament Hill.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Why am I not surprised? And I totally forgot about the joint stereotype and also the "BC equals 'bring cash'" stereotype.

And just to show how inaccurate stereotypes can be, I have a SIL who fits a BC stereotype perfectly, only she's not from BC.
The funny thing is, that in Vancouver at least, at lot of the people that look like that stereotype come from elsewhere.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:

LOL i don't know why I just find this very funny.....

Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now this I believe. I totally believe that Americans touring their capital/Capitol would know more about their history than Canadians making a similar tour do about theirs. But I think that is in part due to a very different history - they fought a war of independence and a civil war - the meaning of their nation is different than the meaning we have for ours.
My grade 12 American history teacher said American history is written in gunsmoke lol... Maybe makes for a bit more of an interesting tale. Anyway, i've actually toured some Civil war sites in the U.S and they are totally packed and actually draw people from across the nation (I was looking at the variety of different State Lic Plates in the parking lot at Gettysburg). Of course, I suppose we aren't the collective bunch of pacifist tree huggers up here that many would conclude but we certainly don't play up our history and I think we should.. Its not as boring as people think!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
A local celebrated skirmish, a bit before Canada was officially a country but part of our heritage/culture=
Battle of the Chateauguay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also a map giving the timeline of Canadas evolution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#...volution_2.gif

Old 05-15-2015, 04:36 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My grade 12 American history teacher said American history is written in gunsmoke lol... Maybe makes for a bit more of an interesting tale. Anyway, i've actually toured some Civil war sites in the U.S and they are totally packed and actually draw people from across the nation (I was looking at the variety of different State Lic Plates in the parking lot at Gettysburg). Of course, I suppose we aren't the collective bunch of pacifist tree huggers up here that many would conclude but we certainly don't play up our history and I think we should.. Its not as boring as people think!
You'll never hear me say that Canadian history is boring. Canadians don't ignore it because it's boring IMO.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Again, media is a major filter of true knowledge. They may know their popular culture, but how many really know their real history? Why do so many write off the middle of their country by referring to it as " fly over states"? Are those people basing this on actual fact, or what they've been fed by stereotypes perpetuated by media? Is that really " knowing " your country??

Knowing popular culture is not the way I would measure knowing your country. It is much more complex than that.

As far as most of the news in the US actually reflects the reality of the country, that is debatable. So how much of this knowledge is tainted?

I'm not saying that the US isn't US focused and ignores most of the world in it's News. When it does focus on events outside of the US it's mainly how those events affect the US, or if the US was involved.

I think where we are not meeting in the middle is that you are speaking about what Americans " hear " about their country, and I'm speaking about what they " know " about their country.

On the knowledge part, I'd say Canada is doing fine.
Listen, Canada is a very good to excellent country in so many ways, including almost all of the most important ones.

But it's not a country (like the others tend to be) where the people live and breathe its culture, history, etc.

It's highly ''acculturated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada