Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm an American who finds nothing mediocre about Canada. Start with music. Gordon Lightfoot (query is that "Lights") is my favorite musician. Has been since at least 1976, since I bought "Gord's Gold." Blue Rodeo, Neil Young and Great Big Sea are on that list as well.

Their military history of fighting with the other free countries is enviable. Think Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach. I'm an American who's proud of Canada. Oops, do I sound too much like Gordon Sinclair's "The Americans"? (link to lyrics and video below). Well I'm sorry if I do but those are my beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_okAgAUGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^

Thanks for that jbgusa
This is a partial repost of an essay I wrote for the "Times Machine" thread on the now-defunct CBC board, on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of my father's death (January 5, 1973), before going to Temple to mark that anniversary. I struck a lot of the personal material from the essay. If anyone's interested I'll direct message it. The beginning of this post sets the scene. Canada, as you will seek is involved.

================================================== ===========================

During the summer of 1972, I went to a camp that featured limited travel as part of the program. I was 15 at the time and met my first, sort-of girlfriend. We repeatedly ran into each other and were singing the same song, coincidentally, each time. One of the songs was Joni Mitchell's (of Canada) Both Sides Now. Here's the Canadian part. The final trip of the summer was to Quintes Isle, Ontario. That was my first of many trips to Canada.

The next school semester, fall 1972, I was active in band, soccer, the school newspaper and the weather club (which is why you see me on the climate change threads constantly). The band was what would figure in Canada.

I took part in an immensely enjoyable High School band exchange program with York High School, Toronto, in April 1973. Spring was slow in coming that year, and was chilled to the bone as the wind swept down Bloor and Yonge Street. I browsed some of the book shops on Yonge Street and read about the beginnings of the "Canadian Content" rules. I found it fascinating. To my surprise, I remembered Bloor and Yonge Street well when my wife and I visited in June 1997 (we relocated our trip to Algonquin Park; combination of a heat wave and her advanced stage of pregnancy). I thoroughly enjoyed that trip, as well as my wife's and my trip in 1992 to Banff and Calgary, and my independent trips to Quebec in 1979 and 1986 (I did not like my Montreal trip in 1976). Oh, I forgot to mention my first trip,with summer camp, during August 1972, to Quintes Island, and the Alexandria Bay area.

I have been back a few other times. I attended the CPC Policy Convention in Montreal in 2005. My wife took me and my children to Niagara Falls for my 50th birthday in 2007. And in 2012 I returned to Quebec City and took a ceremonial run around the Plains of Abraham track where a close high school friend started me off running.

In short, Canada has always been part of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:35 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is a partial repost of an essay I wrote for the "Times Machine" thread on the now-defunct CBC board, on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of my father's death (January 5, 1973), before going to Temple to mark that anniversary. I struck a lot of the personal material from the essay. If anyone's interested I'll direct message it. The beginning of this post sets the scene. Canada, as you will seek is involved.

================================================== ===========================

During the summer of 1972, I went to a camp that featured limited travel as part of the program. I was 15 at the time and met my first, sort-of girlfriend. We repeatedly ran into each other and were singing the same song, coincidentally, each time. One of the songs was Joni Mitchell's (of Canada) Both Sides Now. Here's the Canadian part. The final trip of the summer was to Quintes Isle, Ontario. That was my first of many trips to Canada.

The next school semester, fall 1972, I was active in band, soccer, the school newspaper and the weather club (which is why you see me on the climate change threads constantly). The band was what would figure in Canada.

I took part in an immensely enjoyable High School band exchange program with York High School, Toronto, in April 1973. Spring was slow in coming that year, and was chilled to the bone as the wind swept down Bloor and Yonge Street. I browsed some of the book shops on Yonge Street and read about the beginnings of the "Canadian Content" rules. I found it fascinating. To my surprise, I remembered Bloor and Yonge Street well when my wife and I visited in June 1997 (we relocated our trip to Algonquin Park; combination of a heat wave and her advanced stage of pregnancy). I thoroughly enjoyed that trip, as well as my wife's and my trip in 1992 to Banff and Calgary, and my independent trips to Quebec in 1979 and 1986 (I did not like my Montreal trip in 1976). Oh, I forgot to mention my first trip,with summer camp, during August 1972, to Quintes Island, and the Alexandria Bay area.

I have been back a few other times. I attended the CPC Policy Convention in Montreal in 2005. My wife took me and my children to Niagara Falls for my 50th birthday in 2007. And in 2012 I returned to Quebec City and took a ceremonial run around the Plains of Abraham track where a close high school friend started me off running.

In short, Canada has always been part of my life.
TY JB for sharing your wonderful memories So glad there are some who hold their neighbour "Close to their heart"

Yes..indeed, we have our own way of doing things..but tend to enjoy our land and our own culture ( tho some don't appreciate that )..TY again for reminding me just why I love our specialness

Old 05-18-2015, 09:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
Thanks for sharing, JB. It's appreciated.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times
I enjoyed that also Jb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada