Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Overall, Anglo-Canadians from across the country don't know much more about Quebec than Quebecers know about them, even though many of the former (Anglo-Canadians) seem to think they do.
There was a massive exodus of Anglo Canadians from Quebec to the rest of Canada in the 1970s and 1980s. I was one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:49 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
There was a massive exodus of Anglo Canadians from Quebec to the rest of Canada in the 1970s and 1980s. I was one of them.
Yes but how is this related?

Old 07-28-2016, 01:03 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes but how is this related?
?? I was refuting your post.

Former residents of Quebec (and there are a lot of them) in the rest of Canada in general probably know more about Quebec than Quebecers who have never lived elsewhere in Canada know about the rest of Canada.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:13 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
It depends on the Quebecker. The more nationalistic ones don't know or care. But many Quebeckers do know about the rest of Canada and some of them even move to other parts of Canada for work.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
?? I was refuting your post.

Former residents of Quebec (and there are a lot of them) in the rest of Canada in general probably know more about Quebec than Quebecers who have never lived elsewhere in Canada know about the rest of Canada.
There are some of course, but a few hundred thousand Anglo-Quebecers (who moved away long ago - many have died and their kids raised in Ontario or other provinces generally know little about Quebec) are a drop in the bucket in the population of Canada-outside-Quebec which is over 25 million.

Also, many of those who fled knew next to no French and wanted nothing to do with the wider society of Quebec which was and is predominantly francophone - I mean, that's one of the main reasons they left.

So so much for them being a huge mass of experts on all things Québécois flowing into the rest of Canada and boosting up knowledge levels of Quebec in Toronto and Calgary.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Do not think Canadians are MEAN ( am a former Canuck living in Mexico).

Recall way back to the 1940's of people from Niagara Falls NY or Buffalo would cross into Ontario with a slight chip on their shoulders and the locals took offense as a result.

Later on visited family and heard negative things about the French in Quebec wanting many things the FRENCH way also the mass exodus of certain financial firms and retail establishments.

Many yrs later my new landlord in Calif had lived in Quebec as a small building contractor. (we are both Hungarians)

He would put in bids for some jobs and had a problem getting some work even tho his bid was low.

One day a person told him he would have to speak FRENCH if he wanted any work.

His answer was "HELL NO, I moved to Canada and learned English to work in this country. If I had to learn French, I would have moved to FRANCE instead of here".

He then moved to Calif and purchased a business and property.

Just one little true story......besides Canada has many people whose ancestors came from Europe.....my mother and Paternal Grandparents came from Hungary.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Many yrs later my new landlord in Calif had lived in Quebec as a small building contractor. (we are both Hungarians)

He would put in bids for some jobs and had a problem getting some work even tho his bid was low.

One day a person told him he would have to speak FRENCH if he wanted any work.

His answer was "HELL NO, I moved to Canada and learned English to work in this country. If I had to learn French, I would have moved to FRANCE instead of here".

Isn't that kind of like moving to Geneva and complaining that everything isn't in German?

Anyway, since he left Quebec eventually maybe he could have been one of cdnirene's so-called *experts* on Quebec who used to live in the province?

Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
I had an unfortunate incident flying into Montreal a couple of weeks ago. The stewardess neglected to state some of the information in English. I understood most of the French, but wasn't confident that I understood it all. I mentioned to the man next to me that the comment was not made in English, and asked if I understood correctly. He laughed in my face, telling me that when in Montreal, I should expect to understand and speak French. Not nice. I told him that English is still an official language in Canada.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Yep, speaking French on a Air Canada plane.

I had that experience and the flight attendant spoke in French what turned out to be for a French Movie....ear phones for those who wish to view and I had to close my window blind to accommodate them.

I always fly with a window seat being my preference.

Not everyone was a French speaking person or desired to watch a movie.

Strange to hear people laughing when there is NO movie sound and you wonder what they were laughing at.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Yep, speaking French on a Air Canada plane.

I had that experience and the flight attendant spoke in French what turned out to be for a French Movie....ear phones for those who wish to view and I had to close my window blind to accommodate them.

I always fly with a window seat being my preference.

Not everyone was a French speaking person or desired to watch a movie.

Strange to hear people laughing when there is NO movie sound and you wonder what they were laughing at.
Well French is an official language in Canada and Air Canada is a Canadian airline. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that unless the staff were being rude to you. In fact I think it's great french is being promoted, even outside Quebec. I say this as an Anglophone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada