Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:35 AM

579 posts, read 660,262 times

Advertisements

We all know that multiculturalism failed in the UK, in the Netherlands, in Germany, as well as in many other countries that tried. Yet, until recently (and it's debatable whether it still works as it had), Canada was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, success of multiculturalism (or the most publicized) in the world.

So what did we do differently from other countries that at least attempted to implement multiculturalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,516,423 times
Anyone who really understands German history and culture will know that it's long been a truly multicultural society - just not by the definition of post-colonialist leftists, who like to see large populations of "whites" as homogeneous rather than taking the time to actually understand the often very diverse divisions within that population.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:01 PM

579 posts, read 660,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Anyone who really understands German history and culture will know that it's long been a truly multicultural society - just not by the definition of post-colonialist leftists, who like to see large populations of "whites" as homogeneous rather than taking the time to actually understand the often very diverse divisions within that population.
Then how do you explain Merkel's statement?

Angela Merkel: German multiculturalism has 'utterly failed' | World news | The Guardian

Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
We did this

Canadian Multiculturalism Act

I'm sure people will argue about whether Canada has been successful and the reasons why, but I'm one that thinks overall it has been successful in Canada.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:23 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,386 times
I don't see how Canada has done any better with multiculturalism than Germany or the UK or the Netherlands. I haven't been to the UK, but it sounds just as civil as the other two. Tons of people of different colour and ethnicity floating around Western Europe as of late, and I am simply not seeing the issue that some people claim is so imminent.

I mean, it is true that some minority groups tend to be stuck in niches, and sit in lower income brackets, but how is that necessarily harming anyone or the general society? In fact, I think that's a major characteristic of Toronto that seems to lack in major European cities. There's hardly a Koreatown or Little Portugal of Amsterdam or Berlin, as far as I know. If you point to the Turks in Germany, that's not really a comparable situation, and they seem to be a non-issue anyways.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:26 PM

https://www.google.ca/#q=race+riots+...evid=206419838

https://www.google.ca/#q=race+riots+uk+1980s

Canada

https://www.google.ca/#q=race+riots+canada

Old 05-30-2015, 03:52 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,230,779 times
Maybe because Canada is anyone's country.

Countries like Germany and the UK have long histories compared to Canada.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

Our history though is filled with racism. So I'm not sure that's it. I personally believe it's because Canada made an effort to push multiculturalism as a positive.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Multiculturalism Act was enacted four years after Canada's 100 birthday.
A time when Canada was reflecting on what it was and what we wanted to be. We were one of the 1st countries to do so.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:07 PM

244 posts, read 360,529 times
I don't think you can really say it failed in the UK, The Netherlands or Germany (first time hearing about Germany). There are a lot of complaints and issues with immigration in those countries, but I'm not sure if you can flat out say they "failed". Can really only tell if something like that failed when we're far enough removed to look back in hindsight with less bias.

I just think Canadians tend to not blame a lot of their problems on minorities as much as other countries. They embrace multiculturalism, and they have their flagship city in Toronto to look as an example that it is not a bad thing.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,774,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

This certainly has something to do with it.

Even most new world countries with high immigration and ethnic diversity are not an open clean slate like Canada advertises itself to be.

Note also that not all Canadians agree with this approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada