Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:07 AM

220 posts, read 278,587 times

Advertisements

I saw today in the store a guy selling airsoft guns however they looked like real guns. I asked him if I needed a permit and he told me no because its a airsoft gun low powered. However I thought these guns were illegal in Canada. I also saw another place selling the same thing and they to told me the same thing. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,017,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
I saw today in the store a guy selling airsoft guns however they looked like real guns. I asked him if I needed a permit and he told me no because its a airsoft gun low powered. However I thought these guns were illegal in Canada. I also saw another place selling the same thing and they to told me the same thing. What is going on?
What city/town/province of Canada was that? Sounds as scary as a pandora's box.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
Heres the laws on these types of air guns=
Air Guns - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html

I was interested in buying and bringing back to Canada a few air powered bb guns but after doing a bit of research particularly that 2nd link i decided not to as dealing with Canadian border guards on the issue might have the guns confiscated..

Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM

220 posts, read 278,587 times
Well there being sold.. So Im guessing there legal.. but they look like the real thing...

Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
From the link Jambo101 provided it seems the ones you saw may be prohibited since you say they look like the real thing.

3. Air guns that are replica firearms

These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
From the link Jambo101 provided it seems the ones you saw may be prohibited since you say they look like the real thing.

3. Air guns that are replica firearms

These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.

I'm kinda confused here. I can go to Canadian Tire and get a Crossman bb gun that looks just like an M-417.

^^^^^That is a Crossman BB gun. I have a hard time believing this thing is a prohibited weapon. Especially when we consider I can buy a Lynx .50 cal rifle, and it is considered a NON-RESTRICTED weapon. Meaning, I could keep it in my trunk, basically.

The one on the left below, is a .50 cal bullet. lol

Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
I'd like to get a BB gun for some fun sport shooting as i dont feel like going through all the hassle it takes to get a real gun.,however i dont remember seeing guns of any sort in my local Canadian Tire,perhaps i'll look a little harder on my next trip.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:10 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,452,717 times
Go look around the fishing rods, jambo. It is possible your local CT doesn't carry firearms of any kind though. Which is dumb.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,544,114 times
These things were all the rage with outdoorsman kinds of people up here when I was younger. I've never used one but I think they're supposed to be between paintball guns and....real guns or something? I don't think they can seriously harm or kill you unless you shoot someone directly in the eye or some other orifice.

I've definitely seen them at Canadian Tire.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Its all fun and games until some one loses an eye. These things were all the rage during my first year of junior high, some of the wanna be gangsters used to walk around with bb guns tucked in their pants under their jackets. Getting shot by a bb gun is very painful. I heard a kid from that school did eventually end up getting shot in the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada