Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I usually followup on my my travels if I originally posted with questions beforehand. Since I asked my questions on several different threads in the Canada forum I will create a new one to say thanks and express my enjoyment.

I have traveled to Eastern Canada many times in the past decade or so...Toronto three times, Montreal twice, Niagara Falls twice, Quebec City and Ottawa once. But my previous and only visit to Western Canada came over 15 years ago in Vancouver.

So, I was very excited to embark on a 12-day journey beginning with five days in Vancouver. Admittedly didnt see that much of the city, my time was more about stuffing my face with delicious Chinese food (arguably the best available on this continent) and spending a couple days on Bowen Island for my cousin's wedding. Visited the beautiful Queen Elizabeth Park and went around SoMa for a little bit...but 90% of the time was just hanging with family.

Then for the next 3.5 days we headed east with stops that included Bridal Veil Falls, Kamloops, Barriere, Wells Gray, Valemount, Mount Robson, Pyramid Lake, Maligne Canyon, Jasper, Columbia Ice Fields, Morraine Lake, Lake Louise, Banff, and Lake Minnewanka. Awesome sights (though I started to get desensitized as time went on) and both Jasper and Banff impressed me as fun little resort towns.

Finally spent 3.5 days in Calgary before flying back to the US. I've been randomly enamored with this city for the past 2 or 3 years, ever since I realized how well-utilized the light rail system is, how dense the skyline looks, and how gorgeous the topography surrounding the city is, for a place with a smaller population than Jax. Well, the city somehow exceeded expectations. Good transit, a bunch of neat urban core neighborhoods like Inglewood, Kensington and Mission that remind me of a lot of our historic neighborhoods (some a tad farther along in the densification/gentrification process), one of the nicest urban parks I've ever been to (Prince Island), and excellent Chinese/Asian food.

Coming home was a bit of an ordeal...United booted about two dozen people from our YYC-IAH flight and some of those folks were really upset. We were alright with the idea and even came away with $1000 credit as compensation. But the alternate itinerary really caused us quite a bit of hassle. I won't get into the long and short of it but this involved visiting five different checkin/ticket counters, getting scolded by a very rude Air Canada employee who also seemed to go out of her way to make things difficult for us, checking our bags two extra times, going through immigration two extra times, through security one extra time and flying backwards (back to Vancouver).

Aside from the lady at Air Canada, thanks to everyone who advised and helped us on the trip!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Glad to hear how pleased you were with your visit overall.

I'm not overly surprised at how you were treated by what has become to be known as Canada's worst International Ambassador. I myself have experienced Air Canada's rude and inconsiderate behaviour on MANY occasions, too many to count really and have vowed if Dog Sled is the only alternative travel venue I will pack dog biscuits, mukluks and suck it up rather than subject myself to any more of Air Canada's arrogance.

Canadien used to provide a much needed competition with much better service and pleasantness on most of the same routes but sadly went the way of the dodo. Now we're stuck with the Ma Bell attitude from Air Can't.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:49 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Good to know that you liked your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada