Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Re "visible minorities." The thing is that that term isn't necessarily about non-whites. It is implied in "visible minority" that there is an invisible minority, of which I am one. I see the term as more about acknowledging that not all minorities are visible. I don't normally post Wikipedia links, but in this link one line stands out: "The qualifier 'visible' is important in the Canadian context as historically its political divisions from the period of colonial history have traditionally been determined by language (French/English) and religion (Catholic/Protestant) which are 'invisible' traits."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_minority

You would not know from looking at me on the outside, that I, while influenced by English Canada as the result of being born here, am nonetheless, not assimilated into that culture unless I choose to tell you. The fact that I speak fluent English or French, and some other languages and don't wear clothes that define me as an 'other.' or have a skin colour that stands out, doesn't mean I am not an 'other.' It is relatively recent in Canadian history that immigrants with non-Anglo names have attained a status equal to Anglo Canadians.

Prejudice and Discrimination - The Canadian Encyclopedia

I see the term "visible minority" when it refers to skin colour, as more of an acknowledgement that Anglo-Saxon Canada, while still a very white country, is moving towards a multi-colour society. I suspect that when that happens, the term will cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Oh in no way do I think that the majority of people in Toronto support carding as a practice. The same way I dont believe that most residents of NYC support Stop and Frisk. Unfortunately the people speak and the leaders are slow to follow. So while we are waiting for change, peoples lives are adversely affected.

Do I think its days are numbered? To an extent yes, I think it will go away eventually. But I do not think it will go away as quickly as people would like or expect.
Its funny how we have time to watch stupid TV shows but we don't have time to band together as a community and in a show of force go out and protest. There was a time even in Canada we did that more but these days how many of us go out and engage in the community.. Probably not many - even in the U.S.. People work, come home cook dinner for the family and watch TV or go on the internet.. That's what most people do.. The lack of engagement in the community and with neighbours has a big impact on social progress... If we engaged with one another there'd be more wide scale protests to nonsense like carding and I can tell you large vocal protests would move spineless politicians faster than sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada