Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

I saw a program last night on the history of the cantilever bridge... Amazingly tragic.

My question to you all is... What do you think of the aesthetics of this bridge? Is it beautiful, horrible, or is it like an ugly duckling that over time has come to grow on you?

Personally, I think the monstrous proportions of the structure, all in dark colors against the green of the trees and the blue of the water is somehow - classic looking?

The pictures I see from a distance makes it look black, but the closeups give it a green/brown cast. What is the actual color?

Can you walk across it?
Is it bouncy? Or rock solid?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
This the one you are talking about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge
Quite the history,Seems it had some problems in its past.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Yes, but I'd call it more than "some" trouble.
Out of one eye, it looks bad; but out of the other it looks very imposing and classically regal.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Not sure what the documentary you watched led you to think of the bridge but i think the bridge is beautiful, much more character than that new bridge they've erected beside it (in the background of the posted pic)..
Yes its fallen down a couple of times with lives lost but it has much history and remains a class act for that type of bridge=
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5455/9...6f12cc1f_b.jpg

For those unfamiliar, all the water flowing from the great lakes goes under that bridge on its way to the ocean

Old 08-11-2015, 06:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I love that bridge. Seen it several times in my travels to Quebec. I have always loved bridges, and the new one next to it is like too many others, whereas the Quebec Bridge is classic and unique and ominous.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:22 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I saw a program last night on the history of the cantilever bridge... Amazingly tragic.

My question to you all is... What do you think of the aesthetics of this bridge? Is it beautiful, horrible, or is it like an ugly duckling that over time has come to grow on you?

Personally, I think the monstrous proportions of the structure, all in dark colors against the green of the trees and the blue of the water is somehow - classic looking?

The pictures I see from a distance makes it look black, but the closeups give it a green/brown cast. What is the actual color?

Can you walk across it?
Is it bouncy? Or rock solid?

Thanks for your input.
It's pretty solid. It's open to regular vehicular traffic.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 AM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's pretty solid. It's open to regular vehicular traffic.
And trains too.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:48 PM

37 posts, read 51,272 times
It's stable. Lots of traffic everyday going over it. They de-rusted and painted a portion of it gray, but seems they gave up, so the rest is rust and green. Must've been expensive. Around ten years ago it was lit with greenish lights at night. It looked sinister, like something out of Batman. The reviews were mixed. I really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada