Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ever been to Quebec or Newfoundland? Newfoundland is admittedly small but Quebec is more or less one quarter of Canada.
Thing is we actually border a completely foreign country in culture, looks, history, etc.. so Quebec isn't going to seem that foreign to many of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:34 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Thing is we actually border a completely foreign country in culture, looks, history, etc.. so Quebec isn't going to seem that foreign to many of us.
Have you been here or not? Quebec will feel about as foreign to an American as France does to a Brit or to a German.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Have you been here or not? Quebec will feel about as foreign to an American as France does to a Brit or to a German.
I have not but i would love to

Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM

I'd surmise that places like Sherbrooke, Granby, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, etc. near the border are as culturally different from places like Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY as U.S. border cities like Laredo, Browsville, etc. would be from Mexican cities across the border. The culture of Mexico is much more present along the south-central and south-western portions of the U.S. than French Canadian culture is in the northeastern States.

Even though obviously the socio-economic differences are stark when crossing the Rio Grande, and not really evident when you cross the 45th parallel (border between Quebec and the U.S.)

Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
I am getting tired of hearing that Quebec is pretty much the same thing as the U.S. Unfortunately, it's a widespread misconception. I suppose it's because many who go to Quebec stick around the anglophone areas of downtown Montreal. Saint-Jean-sur-Richlieu is a lot more different from Burlington than Laredo is from Mexican border towns. South Texas is filled with Mexicans and the Spanish language thanks to mass immigration.

Americans probably have more in common (beyond a superficial level) with a German than your typical outside-of-Montreal-proper Quebecois. They are a very different group of people, but most Americans and English Canadians never get a real glimpse of them due to effects of the language barrier.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:59 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I am getting tired of hearing that Quebec is pretty much the same thing as the U.S. Unfortunately, it's a widespread misconception. I suppose it's because many who go to Quebec stick around the anglophone areas of downtown Montreal. Saint-Jean-sur-Richlieu is a lot more different from Burlington than Laredo is from Mexican border towns. South Texas is filled with Mexicans and the Spanish language thanks to mass immigration.

Americans probably have more in common (beyond a superficial level) with a German than your typical outside-of-Montreal-proper Quebecois. They are a very different group of people, but most Americans and English Canadians never get a real glimpse of them due to effects of the language barrier.
Doubt it. Half my family is francophone. I think many of which are actually from Val d'Or, the Sudbury equivalent of Quebec. They're no different culturally from anyone else I know on my English side, other than the fact that they also speak French.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Doubt it. Half my family is francophone. I think many of which are actually from Val d'Or, the Sudbury equivalent of Quebec. They're no different culturally from anyone else I know on my English side, other than the fact that they also speak French.
If they are Franco-Ontarians living in northeastern Ontario it's (usually) completely different from Québécois people living in Quebec.

With some notable exceptions, francophone Canadians living outside Quebec aren't really culturally typical of French Canadians, as most of the latter live in Quebec in a francophone environment.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Such a popular topic haha

Everyone's sudden interest in Canada's client state status

Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I am getting tired of hearing that Quebec is pretty much the same thing as the U.S. Unfortunately, it's a widespread misconception..
This difference entails both good and bad aspects IMO. But it is nonetheless real.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
If they are Franco-Ontarians living in northeastern Ontario it's (usually) completely different from Québécois people living in Quebec.

With some notable exceptions, francophone Canadians living outside Quebec aren't really culturally typical of French Canadians, as most of the latter live in Quebec in a francophone environment.
From Val d'Or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada