Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM

283 posts, read 259,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Honestly, even with the exchange rate, prices in many parts of Canada are just coming to par with American prices.
The PPP exchange rate for the Canadian dollar is around $0.80 US. At that exchange consumer items will still be much more expensive but some services (such as healthcare) even it out somewhat. Given that US workers are about 30% more productive (since countries/regions with more productive workers in the tradable goods sector push up relative wages in the non-tradable goods sector) a fair value exchange rate would probably be about $0.68 US with todays oil prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ah no lol... I was basically agreeing with your post that both countries offer many interesting things to see and its worth crossing the border in both cases.. To a Canadian, the U.S wouldn't be as exotic a place as others but still worth exploring and vice versa.. Read what I wrote again - it was relating to a surly someone in here attacking those who have an interest in crossing the border because there is nothing to see... I was defending your post dude and glad you enjoy your visits - always welcome here!
Oh sorry, thanks!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Oh sorry, thanks!
Most welcome

Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Thanks for posting and for visiting with your children.

Canada was the beneficiary of your consideration for your children's first time exposure to a foreign country experience. Kudos

There will undoubtedly come a time when they are older to introduce them to a more diverse cultural foreign experience.
Thank you.

Actually, my oldest is going to France next spring with her French class. That was one of the reasons we chose to visit Quebec and Montreal when we went to Canada. It was a good introduction for her to hear French being spoken and to try to communicate.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thank you.

Actually, my oldest is going to France next spring with her French class. That was one of the reasons we chose to visit Quebec and Montreal when we went to Canada. It was a good introduction for her to hear French being spoken and to try to communicate.
Excellent!

The French spoken in Quebec is different to a degree but still functional as far as communicating in France goes. I've noticed a general lessening of the turned up noses in France at hearing what they considered a crude patois a few scant years ago.

It's much better now with the French assuming a more respectful stance at folks from afar attempting the speaking of their language.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Excellent!

The French spoken in Quebec is different to a degree but still functional as far as communicating in France goes. I've noticed a general lessening of the turned up noses in France at hearing what they considered a crude patois a few scant years ago.

It's much better now with the French assuming a more respectful stance at folks from afar attempting the speaking of their language.
my coworker's 16 year old daughter, who was born and raised in Quebec with French as her first language, went to France and was frustrated to find the French switching to English to talk to her.

I am not saying one is crude because that's purely subjective but the pronunciation is quite different, like Australian English and American English.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
my coworker's 16 year old daughter, who was born and raised in Quebec with French as her first language, went to France and was frustrated to find the French switching to English to talk to her.
I have heard of this but it has never happened to me or my friends and family. And my French was pretty bad in my youth.

I suspect her French is not as good as you think. Or rusty from living in Toronto.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Excellent!

It's funny you say that because my husband has friends in Sherbrooke whom we visted while in Canada. The wife said her daughter is married to a man from France and now her granddaughter speaks French like a "proper French girl." I thought that was interesting because as an English speaker who took 6 years of French in high school and college, I cannot tell the difference. Some people must have a keener ear than I. But it makes sense to me if I compare British English to American English.

I think part of adjusting to speaking French (or any language) in a foreign country is getting over your fear and having confidence to try out the language even though you don't know it perfectly. And for that, despite pronounciation differences, Quebec was the perfect place to practice. Everyone we encoutered was kind and helpful with my daughter's rudimentary and my very rusty French (a clerk in Walmart spent a few minutes with me trying to get me to perfect my "un".) Our visit also sparked an interest for me to brush up on my French and for my younger two kids to learn it. We've been learning and practiciing since we got back.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:25 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's funny you say that because my husband has friends in Sherbrooke whom we visted while in Canada. The wife said her daughter is married to a man from France and now her granddaughter speaks French like a "proper French girl." I thought that was interesting because as an English speaker who took 6 years of French in high school and college, I cannot tell the difference. Some people must have a keener ear than I. But it makes sense to me if I compare British English to American English.

I think part of adjusting to speaking French (or any language) in a foreign country is getting over your fear and having confidence to try out the language even though you don't know it perfectly. And for that, despite pronounciation differences, Quebec was the perfect place to practice. Everyone we encoutered was kind and helpful with my daughter's rudimentary and my very rusty French (a clerk in Walmart spent a few minutes with me trying to get me to perfect my "un".) Our visit also sparked an interest for me to brush up on my French and for my younger two kids to learn it. We've been learning and practiciing since we got back.
I am glad you guys got to practise your French. It's a common complaint from people that many folks in Montreal (and some other parts of Quebec) switch to English as soon as they recognize an accent, but your experience shows that if you continue in French (and even tell people "C'est gentil de parler anglais mais j'aimerais pratiquer mon français SVP"), most everyone will happily oblige.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
When i was working and basically speaking French all day i would find it rather insulting to initiate or respond to some one in French and they would switch to English where upon i would just continue on in French till they got the idea.
Now 8 years into retirement i'm losing much of the French i once had, when i'm out i still initiate conversation in French but now if some one switches to English i'm fine with continuing the conversation in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada