Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 07:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What do those numbers have to do with fish? Are you sayng that people in BC on average spend only $179.00 per year on fish? That would be completely shocking to me, as would all the other numbers.

Well, for starters, the Canadian foods here in Manitoba are perogies and holupschi. But we personally eat a lot of fish and the small town where I do the majority of my grocery shopping has a live lobster tank, along with live mussels and crabs, so I don't know about this dead crab thing Botti's was posting about. We can't be the only people eating fresh seafood.

Most people in BC don't buy their fish, they fish for their fish -- usually without permits. Where I live, the First Nations population uses the twice-yearly salmon run as a foundation of their diet. (Same goes for Yukon Territory residents too.) Most of the salmon is smoked and used year round in just about every dish.

Families around here routinely hunt for their meat in the fall (deer, moose, dall sheep), gather everything from berries to pine mushrooms, and fish a lot in every season. (Ice fishing is most popular among the 'white' segment of the population.)

We harvest nuts, pine cones, and various needles, herbs, roots, and weeds for tea making, with red clover and dandelion being the most popular. We also tap maple trees (and others) for making syrup and candy.

Only counting what people spend money on in grocery stores is misleading and will not render an accurate picture of what Canadians are consuming. Lobster cages and crab nets abound up and down the west coast of Canada, just as they do on the eastern shores.

Bear in mind that the Canadian Government has declared a moratorium on fishing in many locations, primarily due to commercial over fishing, leaving too many island and coastal populations unable to hunt for their traditional fare until the fish population recovers, which could take decades.

In Yukon and other Northern Territories, seal, shark, and whale meat still figure prominently in what Native Canadians eat. Again, you won't find those species in supermarkets.

It's important to look at the big picture if one wants to discern the truth.

Blessings to all,

Mahrie.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Back from grocery shopping, and I did check out the seafood tanks and Supervalu had live lobster, mussels and oysters today, and Sobeys had the live lobster and mussels. Maybe they only carry live crabs at certain times of the year but I have often seen clams at Supervalu. It was a busy day at both stores and a lot of shelves were cleaned out when I got there, so things might have looked different earlier. I also saw whole fresh basa and tilapia as well as whole rainbow trout at SuperValu. There were many more varieties of fresh fillets, of which I bought pickerel, my all time favourite fish. With apologies to BCers, I have never understood the appeal of salmon. Heresy, I know.

And keep in mind that this is a small town. They wouldn't have the variety that exists in Winnipeg, for example.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Back from grocery shopping, and I did check out the seafood tanks and Supervalu had live lobster, mussels and oysters today, and Sobeys had the live lobster and mussels. Maybe they only carry live crabs at certain times of the year but I have often seen clams at Supervalu. It was a busy day at both stores and a lot of shelves were cleaned out when I got there, so things might have looked different earlier. I also saw whole fresh basa and tilapia as well as whole rainbow trout at SuperValu. There were many more varieties of fresh fillets, of which I bought pickerel, my all time favourite fish. With apologies to BCers, I have never understood the appeal of salmon. Heresy, I know.

And keep in mind that this is a small town. They wouldn't have the variety that exists in Winnipeg, for example.

The appeal of fresh salmon (or anything else), netwit, is that is is here for the taking, free, and in abundance. I believe that's true of any locale, and particularly those areas that aren't close to so-called civilization.

Growing up in Scotland we ate loads of mussels, whelks, trout, lobster, and crab because that's what was available.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
That is what's frightening about this. The US isn't as a white as Canada and never has been, but polls show that American people there aren't even close to being as opposed to non-white people as here. I believed Canada was better than this, but recent polls show a strong spike in racist beliefs. What worries me more is that white people still control almost everything here, at least in Ontario but at the same time people are showing signs of unapologetic racism.
It's depressing to me how Canada and Europe have taken such an anti-minority, anti-poor turn in the past 5 or 10 years. I used to envy and look up to them, but now I feel like America is probably the best place to be. Which is really pathetic and sad considering people haven't really become any more tolerant here, it's just our peers have become worse.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM

387 posts, read 355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ok, then when the English and French settled in Canada, did they adapt to their host country instead of setting up parallel societies?

People should be allowed to set up whatever they want as long as they obey Canadian rules and regulations. One reason people set up parallel society is probably that the mainstream culture is not considered attractive to them. For example, I don't eat hamburgers or steaks or potatoes not because I want to be different, but because that kind of food is considered by me as inferior and unattractive - exactly the reason why the British and French didn't adopt the culture and lifestyle of the aboriginals.

Just to provide some perspective. Many immigrants simply don't find the mainstream culture attractive, so why not choose something better? They are helping to make the host country's culture richer in this way.
No they didn't....because its (raw) human nature to enforce your own standards of living/culture/way of life on any place you inhabit....This is true for all cultures and humans in general.....The difference is that people (including other Whites) call Whites/Europeans out on it, but when people call out Arabs, Pakis, Blacks, Chinese when they do it it's "raccisss"....

That's why I don't care when people whine about Gentrification and "Historic Black Neighborhoods" in Harlem and Brooklyn being taken over by Hipster White kids and Hispanics....There used to be tons of "Historic Italian and Irish" neighborhoods all over NYC and they got taken over by others as well....Now Blacks are dealing with the exact same thing...That's the way of the world....Everything is only temporary....nothing lasts forever...

Say what you want about the British and the French imposing their values/way of life on the First Nations, but they DID turn Canada into the great 1st world nation that it is today....and that should be respected...

Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 PM

82 posts, read 71,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
It's depressing to me how Canada and Europe have taken such an anti-minority, anti-poor turn in the past 5 or 10 years. I used to envy and look up to them, but now I feel like America is probably the best place to be. Which is really pathetic and sad considering people haven't really become any more tolerant here, it's just our peers have become worse.
It is immigration. I think the top quality immigrants take the USA first and only look for Canada if they do not make the team so to speak. There are Chinese who bring low quality values like they are very racist against anyone who is not white or Chinese.

It doesnt always mean that it is mostly white people answering this poll question racistly. Many immigrant people are racist too and they become mad that Canada isnt the same one they immigrate to many years ago.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
"hongcou"????
That troll (who is now banned) started to say hongcouver then changed it to Vancouver. It's a slur that some bigots and ignorant xenophobes use to refer to Vancouver when they're snivelling about Asian immigrants who came to BC from Hong Kong.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
It is immigration. I think the top quality immigrants take the USA first and only look for Canada if they do not make the team so to speak. There are Chinese who bring low quality values like they are very racist against anyone who is not white or Chinese.

It doesnt always mean that it is mostly white people answering this poll question racistly. Many immigrant people are racist too and they become mad that Canada isnt the same one they immigrate to many years ago.
Spot on. I am sure a lot of "new" Canadians joined the survey and they must be so selfish to think that way.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
The appeal of fresh salmon (or anything else), netwit, is that is is here for the taking, free, and in abundance. I believe that's true of any locale, and particularly those areas that aren't close to so-called civilization.

Growing up in Scotland we ate loads of mussels, whelks, trout, lobster, and crab because that's what was available.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Well, no, that's not the appeal of salmon - most people actually seem to like it!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I never stated that Canadians are above Timmy Ho's. I merely pointed out that Tim Hortons is no where near as popular in downtown Toronto as it is in somewhere like Sudbury, and that is likely because downtown Toronto has unlimited choices for superior coffee.

However, you continue to persist that saying so is some kind of elitist statement for whatever reason, and insinuate that ALL Canadians *must* love Tim Hortons EVERYWHERE!!!! Seriously, your brand loyalty for Timmy Ho's is pretty die-hard for someone who claims that he neither likes nor drinks their coffee products.
Normally I disagree with everything you say, but this is, from my experience, pretty correct.

Sudbury is loaded with crammed Tim Hortons, but Sudbury is also shy of change or anything new or slightly sophisticated. It's probably the same all over non-metro areas. It's certainly it is the case in Northern Ontario.

When I make trips to Toronto, I hardly see Tim Hortons (especially in the inner city) and they are obviously way outnumbered by Starbucks and probably even Second Cups, not to mention all the independent places.

Filtered coffee is cheap anywhere you get it. Why would you go to Tim Hortons even if you couldn't differentiate between brews? To save 40 cents? The atmosphere is weird and unattractive and reminds me of a retirement home, whereas any other cafe knows it needs to be attractive for people to want to stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here are the figures for 2013 in dollars. From Stats Canada

BC 179
AB 182
SK 140
MB 109
ON 207
QC 247
NB 163
NS 148
PE 152
NL 159
Canada 201
This is pretty much useless information unless we could either see kilos consumed by province, or the differing market values by province.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada