Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 AM

428 posts, read 450,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Desperate? Do you understand how ridiculous it sounds to believe that there are not 'enough' 'white' Canadians? Like a Pole and a white Turk from Thrace, or a Russian, or a Georgian are supposed to be more Canadian than an Indian and a Guatemalan? It's as equally far-removed. This is nothing but racism.
I don't know why you are saying this, but I agree with you Jesse. You know those aren't my beliefs, right? I don't think I've even chimed on how I feel about the survey.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not "considered" white? by whom? You, the supreme judge of whiteness? Even the US census bureau consider Arabs "white".

Information on Race

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.

Not only Syrians white, the entire Middle East and North Africa are white.
In America Middle Eastern Muslims aren't considered white except by the official census bureau definition.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
So why do so many immigrants go from China to the US and work as illegals? You yourself admit to being college educated yet you prefer to live in a small apartment in Canada than in your native China....? Why?

Face it, the poorest ghetto in Chicago is better than average in China. The average welfare recipient in the US is richer than the average Chinese worker slaving away for 20 hours in a dangerous factory. I really could not care less about Chinese workers wages but the denial is really getting desperate. The whole world knows this which is why Chinese people risk it all to live in the West.

Oh and in the southern US very few places look like anywhere in Chicago. Having been to Alabama it looks like Anywhere, Ontario but with less population density and warmer weather.
Obviously, you have NOT traveled the backroads of rural Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee or Kentucky. The southern custom of setting houses well back from the road does a lot to hide poverty from the casual traveler on main (blacktopped) roads but doesn't change the fact that it's there.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, Barack Obama is "white" based on those definitions. In everyday Canadian culture middle eastern people are not white. This is just how it is. White means European here that is something you can learn. What is more strange is that you show a picture of a Syrian with blonde hair and blue eyes as if that isn't extremely rare.
Barack Obama does not self identify as "white", and half his ethnic origin is African, so he doesn't fit the definition at all. You are the one who is desperate here.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In America Middle Eastern Muslims aren't considered white except by the official census bureau definition.
then "considered" by whom? the *real* white Americans? And based on what kind of genetic criteria?

Some people just find it hard to accept they belong to the same race as the Arabs. LOL.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Barack Obama does not self identify as "white", and half his ethnic origin is African, so he doesn't fit the definition at all. You are the one who is desperate here.
So are North Africans, they are a mix of sub saharan Africans, Europeans, and Arabs. Obama can easily pass as anyone from Algeria or Morocco.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Really? What America is that? Maybe that's true in whatever backwater you reside in or among whatever crowd you hang with but even in my section of Redneck Heaven, Arab Americans are considered "white", mostly because they're indistinguishable from most other white folks.

Since most Arabs in the US do NOT go around wearing traditional Middle Eastern dress any more than most German Americans go around wearing liederhosen, I'd guess you've had contact with numerous Arabs and didn't even know it.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then "considered" by whom? the *real* white Americans? And based on what kind of genetic criteria?

Some people just find it hard to accept they belong to the same race as the Arabs. LOL.
Actually, I could not care less about race. I am more interested in culture. Race is a social construct.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:14 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
41% of Canada say there are too many non-white people in Canada, and just under half say there are too many immigrants. Almost 2/3 also want to ban religious wear called niqabs at citizenship ceremonies. Is Canada becoming less welcoming to immigrants or what? I admit I am really disappointed to see this. This type of racism shouldn't stand in a multicultural nation.

The EKOS poll: Are Canadians getting more racist?
Native Americans would disagree with him

Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
So are North Africans, they are a mix of sub saharan Africans, Europeans, and Arabs. Obama can easily pass as anyone from Algeria or Morocco.
your desperate attempt to make the "white race" more *exclusive* is rather pathetic. The Arabs and the Europeans are the same race, whether you accept it or not.

In reality, most Lebanese, Iranians look as white as Italians and Spaniards. heck, even many Indians look white.

You Keep trying..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada