Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No, I'm getting the point. True, I didn't fly to Yellowknife for the weather; it was a business trip. And it is equally true that some people fly to Miami in winter, for the warm weather.

But not everybody! Again, you and Deneb seem to be arguing that Canadians are just dying to get away from winter, and consider themselves poorer if they cannot. You do not understand that not everybody thinks the way you do. You have an opinion, as do those who disagree with you. Nobody is right, and neither are they wrong.

(And the insinuation that Yellowknife is snow-covered and cold in July is just plain wrong. You should visit it in summer--you'd be surprised.)
I didn't insinuate Yellowknife is snow covered in snow. I am not that ignorant.

I am not saying all Canadians are dying to get away and consider their lives miserable. No. My point is the Canadian weather is a huge negative factor for country (which is the topic of this thread), and people would prefer if there were better choices. On the other hand, others are pretending "The weather doesn't have any negative effect on my life. I love the Canadian weather as it is" - which is cliché and not credible.

Canada would be a much better place if the climate is more agreeable, do you agree or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
nobody is saying everyone, or most people live in Florida. Most people don't move for many reasons: to be close to family, not having enough money, access to healthcare etc. But ask your parents or grandparents if they prefer warmer climate, they would say yes. Ask them if they wish winter is shorter and warmer in Canada, they would say yes. They won't say "No way, we are Canadians! Without 5 months of winter I can't fully live my life!"
I cannot ask them; they're dead. But I can recall that they never, ever said, "I hate Canada's climate! I wish I could move to Florida! Waaah!" Which is what you and Deneb seem to be saying.

Quote:
There are many retirees who live in Florida half of the year nevertheless, for nothing but the warm weather. On the other hand, nobody moves from Florida or California to Quebec or Ontario because the weather is more desirable.
You sure about that? Maybe not in winter, but many Americans own vacation homes in places like Muskoka that they visit in summer.

Quote:
The UK and Germany are not as cold as most of Canada. That's the difference. Even a northern city like Edinburgh or Hamburg are still much milder in winter than Toronto and Montreal, not to mention southern cities.
Yes, they're all about like Vancouver, aren't they? And the UK and Germany can, and often do, get snow all over the country. Still no equivalent of Hawaii in the UK or Germany though.

Quote:
And like Canadians, plenty of British move to Spain. There are Spanish towns of mostly British people.
Yes, and the UK still has more British people than Spain. So, we're back to some citizens of a developed country that is not Canada moving to warmer climes. So if some citizens of developed countries prefer to move to warmer places, while the majority do not, then exactly how is Canada different?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:41 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:

There are many retirees who live in Florida half of the year nevertheless, for nothing but the warm weather. On the other hand, nobody moves from Florida or California to Quebec or Ontario because the weather is more desirable.

Well, jambo moved from Florida to Montreal for the cooler weather!

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM

^ I think we are talking about different things now. My point is that climate is a negative factor about living in Canada and that most Canadians would prefer a warmer climate. But I agree with you that that doesn't mean most Canadians want to move to warmer countries just for the sake of warmer weather. Some do, most don't because Canada is their home.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Gee, let's see. My Dad, a gentleman who made it to his late 80s, never lived in Florida or Arizona half the year. Neither did any grandparent (my grandmothers hit their 90s), or other elderly relative. They all happily lived in Canada year-round. I'm unconvinced that your proposition is "not uncommon at all."

You can cherry-pick examples all you like. In the end, anecdotes do not equal data.
Also, the northern tier of the U.S. has a similar climate to southern Canada and has more population than all of Canada, and totally unhindered freedom of movement with places like CA, FL and AZ. The population of this part of the US has had its ups and downs but it's far from emptying out. Many of the US's most dynamic urban areas are in this region in fact.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
No, I'm getting the point. True, I didn't fly to Yellowknife for the weather; it was a business trip. And it is equally true that some people fly to Miami in winter, for the warm weather.

But not everybody! Again, you and Deneb seem to be arguing that Canadians are just dying to get away from winter, and consider themselves poorer if they cannot. You do not understand that not everybody thinks the way you do. You have an opinion, as do those who disagree with you. Nobody is right, and neither are they wrong.

(And the insinuation that Yellowknife is snow-covered and cold in July is just plain wrong. You should visit it in summer--you'd be surprised.)
If people aren't dying to get away from winter then why do people even travel to places like Cuba and the DR in those all inclusive resorts? I don't have numbers but I'd bet that that industry is worth billions and a large segment of that industry is Canadians.

As far as snowbirds, i don't have exact numbers either but there are 70,000 people who are members of the canadian snowbird association and there are certainly probably many more who spend months at a time who are not members.

Germany and the UK don't have warm climates either but through the Schengen agreement, Germans and Brits can move to the Canary Islands in Spain and don't need a visa to live there unlike a Canadian who does need a visa to immigrate somewhere warm.

I realize a lot of what I'm saying is my opinion and you don't have to agree but judging from what I've seen and heard, a sizable number do agree with me.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
I didn't insinuate Yellowknife is snow covered in snow. I am not that ignorant.

I am not saying all Canadians are dying to get away and consider their lives miserable. No. My point is the Canadian weather is a huge negative factor for country (which is the topic of this thread), and people would prefer if there were better choices. On the other hand, others are pretending "The weather doesn't have any negative effect on my life. I love the Canadian weather as it is" - which is cliché and not credible.

Canada would be a much better place if the climate is more agreeable, do you agree or not?

Botti you are wasting your time, you are never going to convince some hardcore Canadians that their climate is a serious drawback for people used to live in less extreme weather, either they truly do not get it or they try to be happy with what they have and put a smile in their face...we had a similar discussion months ago in a thread named "Australia Or Canada?" read it you will find it interesting....I made exactly your same observation, nobody go to Yellowknife for the weather but many fly to Florida because of the weather

About the "snow tourism" point someone make....Yes the snow activities can be a lot of fun and I do like to ski......for few days then fly me back to a warmer place I call home....

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...ia-canada.html

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-22-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM

As for travel, it all depends what people want.

Do you want to do stuff or not?

For some people the allure of a warm place is simply that the outdoor temperature matches the indoor temperature.

For others it's to go to the beach and play golf.

Places like Whistler, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec City and Ottawa get millions of winter visitors every year precisely because they are cold and there are things you can do there because they are cold.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As for travel, it all depends what people want.

Places like Whistler, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec City and Ottawa get millions of winter visitors every year precisely because they are cold and there are things you can do there because they are cold.

Exactly my point...tourists generally go to Whistler and similar places in winter to do some specific activities for few days......but even northern locales are much more inviting to visit in summer rather than winter (for example Lake Louise and the Canadian Rockies in general)

You can still do a lot of outdoor stuff in warm places and enjoy the weather doing it....

Old 09-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Botti you are wasting your time, you are never going to convince some hardcore Canadians that their climate is a serious drawback for people living in less extreme climate, either they truly do not get it or they try to be happy with what they have and put a smile in their face...we had a similar discussion months ago in a thread named "Australia Or Canada?" read it you will find it interesting....I made exactly your same observation, nobody go to Yellowknife for the weather but many fly to Florida because of the weather
yes, that puzzles and frustrates me. Why can't people be objective about it for once?

We love our cold winter, really? Nobody is gonna buy that. Thousands are voting with their feet in the winter. Why do Canadians visit the Caribbean instead of Yukon in January?

And every time it is discussed, some say "I love four distinct seasons" - as if the only alternative of Canada weather is Los Angeles or Jamaica. Hundreds of cities are out there with four distinct seasons yet don't have extremely cold and long winters! Places as south as Washington DC still have four distinct seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada