Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I grew up and lived most of my adult life (to this point) in Alberta. You can get snow, literally, any month of the year. "Summer" is approximately 8-10 weeks long. Spring doesn't really start until mid-April/May, and you can start to feel the chill in the air by Labour Day.

No it's not -20 for more than a handful of days every winter, but six months of frozen brown, dead, dusty alternating with snow then slush and ice, then repeat.

I'm sure after that it must be pretty nice to see all the green vegetation you do in Houston and Galveston in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Scheize

Success!
No, it's ********.

Haha, it got edited. The correct spelling has two S's in place of the Z.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite
I don't know if I agree or not. It would depend on 'what' I was agreeing or disagreeing with and you haven't provided the 'what' as a point of reference. So ......

Can you please provide your personal definition of an 'agreeable' climate?

Can you please explain how Canada is negatively effected by its present climate?

Do you believe there are any positives to Canada's present climate?

Can you please explain how Canada's environment and all living things/beings would be impacted and be better if the climate was more 'agreeable' (as per your definition of agreeable)?
No, I can't explain, because you never for once admitted anything negative about Canada, so how can I convince anyone whose mind is already made up?

Canada is perfect, including its climate. The 8 month rain is Vancouver is delightful and the freezing winters in Montreal are beautiful.
I don't understand. You already agreed with my only other post in this topic, you even repeated some of the gist of it in one of your own posts. It was neutral, not about positives or negatives. And now you say I haven't admitted anything negative so you can't explain to me what is 'agreeable' for you?

Either you are confusing me with somebody else that you already disagreed with or you are unable to answer the above questions simply because you don't have the answers and aren't capable of answering regardless of whatever neutral, positive or negative opinions anybody else admits to.

That isn't good enough for me so if you can't define "agreeable" and you don't even know what it is that you are arguing for but insist on arguing anyway then why should anyone else pay attention to you?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
The climate in Canada obviously sucks everywhere. It is undisputable unless you are one of exceedingly few people who enjoy cold weather.

The only benefit I can think of that could have came from it was perhaps prompting some sort of pysche for having your **** together and being organized. Not really much time to slack off when you're developing a nation in frozen wasteland.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
The climate in Canada obviously sucks everywhere. It is undisputable unless you are one of exceedingly few people who enjoy cold weather.

The only benefit I can think of that could have came from it was perhaps prompting some sort of pysche for having your **** together and being organized. Not really much time to slack off when you're developing a nation in frozen wasteland.
The climate sucks all year round? I just find this post an extreme.. Winter sucks but I actually really do like weather in my neck of the woods in October, November, April, May and June to September its hot - the only time its a 'frozen' wasteland if you will is Dec - Mar.. Why is it that hard for someone to understand that there are people who actually do enjoy the weather 8 months of the year.. Is it required for every human being to love living in a year round 28 deg c climate - no thanks not for me!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The climate sucks all year round? I just find this post an extreme.. Winter sucks but I actually really do like weather in my neck of the woods in October, November, April, May and June to September its hot - the only time its a 'frozen' wasteland if you will is Dec - Mar.. Why is it that hard for someone to understand that there are people who actually do enjoy the weather 8 months of the year.. Is it required for every human being to love living in a year round 28 deg c climate - no thanks not for me!
Of course not all year round. It's obvious that the point of this thread is if the winter and transitional months are difficult to deal with - and they are. But either way. you really are pretty much guaranteed 5.5 months of bad, cold or windy or rainy weather, regardless of where you are in the country. November to March is never fun in Canada.

I think Toronto has a great summer, and tolerable fall and spring, but can you imagine living in Calgary or Ottawa or Edmonton, or anywhere else (almost) during those times? Summer days that reach around 22 degrees aren't even really that warm, and often they're punctuated by 18 degree high days. That's all you get before winter starts coming.

Spring in most places north of southern ontario or BC is treacherous and unreliable. It is not a smooth transition at all, and I think people get more upset about how often they feel 'tricked' by the loosening weather, when they see it get suddenly maddeningly cold over and over again, more often than they feel upset about the dead of winter.

If you blink, you miss fall.

It just sucks. It's not even a balanced or mild four seasons. Atlanta would have that, for example.

BUT, it's just weather and it's okay to admit it sucks. It's not such a big factor that I would write off Canada. I wouldn't blow it off for by far most Western countries. It's just one crappy aspect of it is all. I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to admit that it's not a strong point.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:

I think Toronto has a great summer, and tolerable fall and spring, but can you imagine living in Calgary or Ottawa or Edmonton, or anywhere else (almost) during those times? Summer days that reach around 22 degrees aren't even really that warm, and often they're punctuated by 18 degree high days. That's all you get before winter starts coming.
The Alberta cities may be different but summer in Ottawa and Montreal is basically the same as Toronto and highs average between 26 and 28C as they do in Toronto. You get 22C highs sometimes but not that often and no more often than in Toronto. 18C highs are quite rare - as rare as in Toronto.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Of course not all year round. It's obvious that the point of this thread is if the winter and transitional months are difficult to deal with - and they are. But either way. you really are pretty much guaranteed 5.5 months of bad, cold or windy or rainy weather, regardless of where you are in the country. November to March is never fun in Canada.

Spring in most places north of southern ontario or BC is treacherous and unreliable. It is not a smooth transition at all, and I think people get more upset about how often they feel 'tricked' by the loosening weather, when they see it get suddenly maddeningly cold over and over again, more often than they feel upset about the dead of winter.

If you blink, you miss fall.

It just sucks. It's not even a balanced or mild four seasons. Atlanta would have that, for example.

BUT, it's just weather and it's okay to admit it sucks. It's not such a big factor that I would write off Canada. I wouldn't blow it off for by far most Western countries. It's just one crappy aspect of it is all. I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to admit that it's not a strong point.
Well I will agree to having some Toronto bias here - generally for us October, November, April and May aren't all that bad.. I'm being serious I do enjoy the weather for the most part during those months which is why I was careful to say in my neck of the woods..

Summer is fine but tbh Jesse - 4 months straight of hot weather really is about all I can handle.. I actually love going to Europe in the winter months.. I've been to Istanbul in February and I enjoy the weather 12 deg c daytime high is all I need. Not too cold and perfect for going to see the sights without oppressive heat or hordes of crowds either!

I've been to Morocco and aside from cool nights even in January the daytime is quite hot and I've spoken to people there who tell me in the summer it is just oppressively HOT.. Same thing with Bangkok - you go outside at times of the year and its almost literally a blast furnace - The Songran festival incorporates a lot of water for good reason lol .. I would say these aren't necessarily strong points either if you are the type that doesn't appreciate year round Hot and humid weather where there is very little in seasonal relief..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I will agree to having some Toronto bias here - ..
Yeah but you always do it in the nicest way!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Alberta cities may be different but summer in Ottawa and Montreal is basically the same as Toronto and highs average between 26 and 28C as they do in Toronto. You get 22C highs sometimes but not that often and no more often than in Toronto. 18C highs are quite rare - as rare as in Toronto.
Not really. I checked climate charts that say average highs in July between those three are about 26, while daily means are around 21-22. So yeah, that's not really that warm at all in the bigger picture, especially considering average highs aren't exactly representative of true daily temperatures. July is the hottest month and its extremes just manage to get into the temps that are truly beach-y feeling.

Toronto I think differs because of the humidity situation. It definitely feels hotter than other cities because of it, even if it's technically not much warmer purely in degrees. I know humidity makes people feel uncomfortable but I feel like it is the essence of summer to sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada