Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Its like a 32 kilometer mall with indoor access to many highrise apartment buildings,if you live in one of them theres no reason to ever go outside, however it aint cheap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underg...City,_Montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are Canadian and you want warmer weather in the winter then your options are limited,
You could immigrate to the USA ,a course of action you cant be bothered to explore.if you change your mind =
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...sa+from+canada
You could become a snowbird and spend winters in Florida.
You could move to Florida as an illegal.
You could buy a higher quality of winter clothing.
Move to Montreal and live in the underground city.
It's not that I can't be bothered but I don't qualify. I've already looked into the matter for both Australia and the USA.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It's not that I can't be bothered but I don't qualify. I've already looked into the matter for both Australia and the USA.
Well gee; buff up your qualifications then.

Many Canadians love the climate variety Canada offers. Many of us spent a lifetime busily engaged in activities that are featured in every season with the occasional foray out to a beach in the winter to recharge the vitamin D batteries.

Patterning your life so as to take advantage of those things others would look upon as hardships is what life is all about.

Canadians had, at least for many decades, a reputation for being hardy or even tough as a significant aspect of our "unique culture". Sadly that has eroded with the proliferation of whiners now holding court.

My wife an I used to enjoy downhill, cross country and snowmobiling with a vengeance. Skated the Rideau on many occasions and dropped lines into Lake Nipissing at least once a winter. You've simply got to "engage" yourself using a completely different philosophy.

When we aged to point cold wet bums were no longer content to be thawed in front of a roaring fireplace while gorging on a bowl of homemade chili, we began to venture to warmer climes with saved weeks of vacation.

Now, in full retirement we snowbird for months at a time.

It's all age related stuff that you also will have the opportunity to enjoy if you plan and design your life in that manner and approach it without the "why isn't the world a warm and fuzzy place that welcomes me with open arms" approach.

Segueing into retirement planning; START NOW.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 AM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I don't think so. I wouldn't even call it an underground city. It's more like an indoors city, I think.
It's 32km of underground walkways and stores. I think it qualifies as an "underground city."

Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well gee; buff up your qualifications then.

Many Canadians love the climate variety Canada offers. Many of us spent a lifetime busily engaged in activities that are featured in every season with the occasional foray out to a beach in the winter to recharge the vitamin D batteries.

Patterning your life so as to take advantage of those things others would look upon as hardships is what life is all about.

Canadians had, at least for many decades, a reputation for being hardy or even tough as a significant aspect of our "unique culture". Sadly that has eroded with the proliferation of whiners now holding court.

My wife an I used to enjoy downhill, cross country and snowmobiling with a vengeance. Skated the Rideau on many occasions and dropped lines into Lake Nipissing at least once a winter. You've simply got to "engage" yourself using a completely different philosophy.

When we aged to point cold wet bums were no longer content to be thawed in front of a roaring fireplace while gorging on a bowl of homemade chili, we began to venture to warmer climes with saved weeks of vacation.

Now, in full retirement we snowbird for months at a time.

It's all age related stuff that you also will have the opportunity to enjoy if you plan and design your life in that manner and approach it without the "why isn't the world a warm and fuzzy place that welcomes me with open arms" approach.

Segueing into retirement planning; START NOW.
Great ideas for sure. The only problem is I'm heavily in debt and while I'm working on paying it down, it will take me many years to pay it off. I'm afraid I can't afford to go back to school to get more qualifications any time soon because I also have bills to pay. If only I could have been born an Australian instead *sigh*

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
We can sugar-coat things as much as we like and pretend the climate doesn't prevent Canada from achieving anything, but the truth is, our climate is the greatest handicap of this country.

Yes Canada is the second largest country in terms of territory but like 80-90% of the land is probably not arable nor inhabitable - let's not pretend it is not a bad thing. Climate prevents the north area to be developed and become urban centres, or even just national parks because even trees can't survive there.

Canada doesn't have climate diversity - that's another issue. Unlike other large countries like the US, Brazil, China or even Russia, we don't have any subtropical, not to mention tropical area. We don't have a single city or town that have agreeable weather overall (lower BC is still very cold not to mention wet by most people's standard). Seniors flock to Florida, spending money which would otherwise be used in Canada. Immigrants hesitate to come because the long winter is just scary to most of them. Canadian families have less to do for 4 months of the year because of this (let's not try to say we can ski through all these dreadful months, how often do you ski, like 4 days a winter? Not to mention how expensive it can be.)

We can all say "we love four seasons", but it is a huge understatement, a euphemism. NYC has four seasons. Paris has four seasons. Tokyo has four seasons. Having four seasons doesn't necessarily mean -15/-25C with high wind for 50-60 days of the year. The beaches and waterfront while vibrant during summer, are largely quiet or even deserted during other seasons. I don't really like Miami's weather, but in hot summers trees can still grow and the land is still green and lush, flowers can still blossom, but in freezing winter, you see nothing but bare tree branches and lifeless streets where a handful of people rush to somewhere indoors.

And I agree we are making the best of what we have. Despite the bad weather overall, Canada still offers a high quality of life and built some great interesting cities. That's pretty amazing to me; but if the weather were more agreeable, I can imagine Toronto and Montreal would become far better and busier cities, and God knows, maybe even the Prairies will have some great places to live.

I won't say Canada "fails" due to the weather, but the weather definitely hinders Canada from being a better and more agreeable place. It is the brutal Canadian winter than have deterred some many people who would otherwise love to move to and live in Canadian cities. Most people in the world are not familiar with, or used to the winters here.

I will say the climate is the greatest misfortune of Canada.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

What variety? show me anywhere in Canada with tropical, subtropical or Mediterranean climate? The US does. China does. Even Russia does. Canada doesn't.

One thing Canada lacks is climate variety. Everyone in the world knows it and you are still in denial.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Meh, I love the climate of my city, four distinct seasons without being too extreme. If I want tropical, I'll take a holiday, just like I'm doing next week to Mexico.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Meh, I love the climate of my city, four distinct seasons without being too extreme. If I want tropical, I'll take a holiday, just like I'm doing next week to Mexico.
Good for you.

however, when you take a holiday, you will spend the money in Mexico, not Canada. The Chinese and Americans don't need to fly to a different country to have a tropical winter vacation in January.

And you think Windsor's winter is not "extreme" because you are used to it. I am sure most Americans think Detroit's winter is abysmal.

Also, it is not great for those who want to live in a warmer climate.

Well, I know most Canadian will flatly deny that the bad climate and lack of choices do the country any harm. You guys should know being positive and being objective are two completely different things.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Good for you.

however, when you take a holiday, you will spend the money in Mexico, not Canada. The Chinese and Americans don't need to fly to a different country to have a tropical winter vacation in January.

And you think Windsor's winter is not "extreme" because you are used to it. I am sure most Americans think Detroit's winter is abysmal.

Also, it is not great for those who want to live in a warmer climate.

Well, I know most Canadian will flatly deny that the bad climate and lack of choices do the country any harm. You guys should know being positive and being objective are two completely different things.
You're right on the one hand, but I think a point you are missing is that you can do more diferent stuff over the four seasons in a given year without going anywhere than you can in a place with a year-round tropical climate.

A year-round tropical climate, or a temperate climate like Paris or DC might be the preference of a lot of people, but that's not really the point if we are talking about climate diversity.

Likewise, if you are nuts about skiing and want to be able to do it year-round then a place like Tignes in France might be ideal... There are people like that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada