Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Think it's glamorous to be on the ocean in California, like SF is? The water is 48 F year round there, which is why SF is never warm.
You mean 58 F, right? The ocean water in SF never averages under 53 F (12 C) even in the winter, up to 60 F (16 C) in the summer. It's not "warm water" but you are exaggerating about how cold it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 PM

430 posts, read 835,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You mean 58 F, right? The ocean water in SF never averages under 53 F (12 C) even in the winter, up to 60 F (16 C) in the summer. It's not "warm water" but you are exaggerating about how cold it is.
Yes, 58 F. Which is cold enough for a wet suit, you wouldn't want to just jump in and swim like I did on the Fourth of July. I'm from Virginia, where it's often more like 75 F (24 C).

Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Also: Seattle is noticeably less rainy than Vancouver. To compare Vancouver's weather with sunny and warmer SF is laughable. We are talking about 7 months of rain vs 11 months of sunshine here.
C'mon now, sunny San Francisco? Have you ever spent a foggy and chilly June summer day in San Francisco? Seriously Seattle and Vancouver weather in the summer can actually be better much of the time. San Francisco is right on the Pacific coast, it's not known as being warm and sunny, the summer temps are actually similar between the three cities, San Francisco gets better weather in the fall, though winter can be rainy if not at PNW levels(though not since the drought).

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 09-23-2015 at 11:06 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For those who think I should get off my butt and just move, well I am doing what I can and I'm researching various options but it's going to take me many years to realize this goal due to a combination of my personal circumstances and immigration roadblocks. That's what I'm most frustrated about unlike an American or a Brit who can just pack their bags tomorrow and be on the next plane to a warmer destination to live provided they have the funds to do so.
Oh well - life is going to throw you all kinds of roadblocks that will always frustrate.. That is a given, how you respond to it and what you make of your life in the present and the goals you work towards in the future is what counts.. Otherwise you're just going to have a frustrating life.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-23-2015 at 11:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
While you may fantasize about warm sunny days at the beach sitting under palm trees it doesnt sound like its going to happen on a full time basis so you may as well learn how to dress for winter conditions=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...r+cold+weather

Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
C'mon now, sunny San Francisco? Have you ever spent a foggy and chilly June summer day in San Francisco? Seriously Seattle and Vancouver weather in the summer can actually be better much of the time. San Francisco is right on the Pacific coast, it's not known as being warm and sunny, the summer temps are actually similar between the three cities, San Francisco gets better weather in the fall, though winter can be rainy if not at PNW levels(though not since the drought).
SF does have some micro climate, but the east side is a lot sunnier. Plus, you only need to go to Oakland or south bay to enjoy all the sun you want (30 minutes drive or by transit), on the other hand, Vancouver has nothing sunny nearby.

No matter what, to say Vancouver weather is "not that different" from SF is completely hallucination.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That was just one example. Palms Springs isn't humid and I get tired of the weather there after awhile.
you were not tired of the weather. You were just home sick. You keep mention you want to go back to Vancouver only because it is somewhere you are familiar with, that's all.

Plus, Palms Springs doesn't exactly have the greatest weather.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
So, you think SF has 11 months of sunshine? Try almost zero months of sunshine in the city proper, where I lived for years. Unless you are in a freakish microclimate, it's fog for most of every day, and there is never any summer except for about a month around October when you can actually wear one layer of shirt and not freeze in the wind just walking down the street to get some groceries. Granted, if you just get out of the city as far as Fremont or the airport or especially Palo Alto, you are in a very nice climate that is often sunny. But that's not San Francisco. Think it's glamorous to be on the ocean in California, like SF is? The water is 48 F year round there, which may contribute to the fact that SF is never warm.

And Boston being 5 degrees warmer than Toronto is nothing. I grew up in a place that is 5 degrees warmer than NYC, and I don't really notice any difference in my lifestyle in the Northeast versus Central Virginia. To really change your lifestyle, again, in my opinion you're going to need to go somewhere drastic from Toronto, like the west coast or the South. Moving to New York from Toronto is like me moving back to Virginia from New York. Not a lifestyle changing event, at least not insofar as the climate.
yeah, we all know about the SF microclimate and the famous fog, how is that important? SF proper is tiny - equivalent to the city of Vancouver. Take the subway for 20 minutes and you are in the middle of sun. Is it so hard? Can you do that in Vancouver? Can you go to Richmond and bask under the sun? Plus, SF is still a LOT warmer than Vancouver, in any season.

5 degrees makes a big difference. I don't know why you are in such denial. I agree it won't have a "lifestyle" change, being 5 degrees warmer often means the difference being able to walk comfortable outside, or being stuck in doors all the time. Plus 3 and minus 2 feels completely different.

For example, Montreal is about 5 degrees colder than Toronto, anyone who has lived in both cities would know the difference.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
you were not tired of the weather. You were just home sick. You keep mention you want to go back to Vancouver only because it is somewhere you are familiar with, that's all.

Plus, Palms Springs doesn't exactly have the greatest weather.
Homesick no. I've been travelling alone since I was 17. I have been away from home for months and never was homesick, my trips to Europe come to mind.

I was tired of the constant heat and desired cooler weather.

Palms Springs is just he type of place that people take about when they are looking for warmer climates.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
yeah, we all know about the SF microclimate and the famous fog, how is that important? SF proper is tiny - equivalent to the city of Vancouver. Take the subway for 20 minutes and you are in the middle of sun. Is it so hard? Can you do that in Vancouver? Can you go to Richmond and bask under the sun? Plus, SF is still a LOT warmer than Vancouver, in any season.

5 degrees makes a big difference. I don't know why you are in such denial. I agree it won't have a "lifestyle" change, being 5 degrees warmer often means the difference being able to walk comfortable outside, or being stuck in doors all the time. Plus 3 and minus 2 feels completely different.

For example, Montreal is about 5 degrees colder than Toronto, anyone who has lived in both cities would know the difference.
Wrong.

Here are some average highs for both cities in Fahrenheit

May: Vancouver 62 S.F. 64

June: Vancouver 67 S.F. 66

July Vancouver 72 S.F. 66

August Vancouver 72 S.F. 67

Vancouver BC Average Temperatures by Month - Current Results

San Francisco Weather: Temperatures by Month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada