Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Temperatures at that time of year in most the densely inhabited parts of Canada are above freezing but nowhere near warm. It's often grey and rainy, sometimes with freezing rain or sleet. Crap like that. There are no leaves in the trees, grass is brown or yellow.

In late November I am actually eager for it to snow.
I love that kind of weather, though. I do know what you mean about being 'eager for snow' that's how I am all winter long in Texas lol especially when they say it will snow, and it doesn't. But the 40s F are wonderful temperatures to me. Prefer it to the heat in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
[quote=botticelli;41366020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Cooler is fine and I can appreciate that many prefer it. I hate it when it is above 28C too. If the entire Canada has Vancouver's daily average throughout the year, nobody will say Canada has horrible weather. But the lower mainland is only a small part of Canada.

But this thread is about Canada in general, not Vancouver. I don't think anyone is longing for the 4-5 months of winter with 30 days below -15 degrees. This is what makes people think Canada has bad weather.
The quoting thingy seems off today on CD...it says Saturno on the feed, when you are responding to my post?

I know I wouldn't like 4-5 months of a Toronto winter, but here's the thing. It gets overblown to the point where people think and post, like Hobbs did, that places like Toronto have 8 months of winter. What is also overblown is that everyone in Toronto must be delusional to stay, and poor, poor them they are stuck.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all you said is fair and true, but the difference is, if an American hates the south, he can move to Minnesota or Illinois, and if one hates the cold north, he can move to California or New Mexico.

But a Canadian who hates cold long winters has nowhere to move to. Isn't it the topic under discussion here? Nobody is saying "hot is good, cold is bad", countries like the US offers a place for each one with difference preferences. Canada doesn't. Do you agree that or not? Or you are trying to convince people heat is bad, let's all embrace the coldness?

Yes, many southerners may wish a white Christmas, maybe for 3 or 4 days a year. It is fun and beautiful. But please ask them if they wish 50 snowy days and dangerous commute on the road every year, plus all the weather related flight cancellations. What do you think their respond will be.

Get real. We don't just have white Christmases. We have white December, January, February, and possible white March and white April. What do you think about that? Still want love white??
Yeah, doesn't bother me. I don't mind snow in March, as long as it'll melt in a week or so. Don't mind it in April for a day or two either. Nowhere in southern Canada has an April that is constantly white. A normal April has a handful of snow days only.

Heat is good for summer, cold is good for winter. Variety! 3 months is nothing.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:

Why even in your posts you mention the fact that currently it's warmer in Austin and SD than here? Is that suppose to some sort of enticement for me? To make me realize, " Alas, I'm a fool. I don't really like cooler weather, nice autumn days, rainstorms etc?" If only I had " choices " within Canada I would move to a warmer place like they do in the US. I mean, they have options and that is why the whole eastern seaboard of the US has emptied out and Americans are all living in Florida, Arizona, parts of Texas and SoCal. NYC, Boston's populations have seen the light and have gone.
Poor people in Toronto and Montreal. No choice, but to stay.

I did mention Austin and San Diego current temperatures to indicate what I personally consider nice and warm weather ...I know I will never convince you to leave Vancouver...I do not even try you are a true believer!!!

With you seems everything is binary..either 1 or 0 (like when someone use the expression that Vancouver has no economy....we do not mean everyone is on the unemployment roll).....having the possibility to move to a warmer place does not mean that an entire region would be left with no people...you ignore family, jobs and some, like you, that are ok with a colder weather.

People live in Siberia you know and some of them are rich enough that could move...that does not stop the fact that Siberian weather is not exactly generally considered pleasant....

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-28-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 02:27 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:

The quoting thingy seems off today on CD...it says Saturno on the feed, when you are responding to my post?

I know I wouldn't like 4-5 months of a Toronto winter, but here's the thing. It gets overblown to the point where people think and post, like Hobbs did, that places like Toronto have 8 months of winter. What is also overblown is that everyone in Toronto must be delusional to stay, and poor, poor them they are stuck.
To say Toronto has 8 months of winter is imbecile for sure.

I think I have been more than fair in talking about climate here. Cities like Toronto and Montreal have 5 months of great weather, 2 months of cool weather, 3 months of regular winter (March, Nov, and Dec) and 2 months of horrible Canadian winter that not many human being would say they don't hate.

On the other hand, it is just so fake for some people to say "it is just winter. It is just four seasons" as if the extreme low temperature doesn't affect our lives whatsoever, as if he spends 8 hours a day every day skiing.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:

8 months?? I spent less than 3 in Calgary one winter (and they had the Chinook at some point which did bring a bit of relief)...and that was WAY more I could handle......

This is no fun AT ALL for me......not even for one day...

I rather do this in summer in Florida

Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I did mention Austin and San Diego current temperatures to indicate what I personally consider nice and warm weather ...I know I will never convince you to leave Vancouver...I do not even try you are a true believer!!!

People live in Siberia you know and some of them are rich enough that could move...that does not stop the fact that Siberian weather is not exactly generally considered pleasant....

With you seems everything is binary..either 1 or 0 (like when someone use the expression that Vancouver has no economy....we do not mean everyone is on the unemployment roll).....having the possibility to move to a warmer place does not mean that an entire region would be left with no people...you ignore family, jobs and some, like you, that are ok with a colder weather.

No question I love Vancouver...but I never said I would never leave or love to live somewhere else for a few years. I love many other cities...even warmer ones
Anyway, I just think it's a silly statement to say that somehow a region with over 2 million people doesn't have an economy, especially with the most diverse port in North America and the 3rd largest.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I just think it's a silly statement to say that somehow a region with over 2 million people doesn't have an economy, especially with the most diverse port in North America and the 3rd largest.

Everything is relative...even Pocatello Idaho has an economy.....there are no places with literally no economy...it's just an expression meaning small economic footprint compared to its world class aspiration.

Vancouver is the only Canadian port in the Pacific...it is obviously one of the largest in Canada and in North America given current trade patterns.

But let's go back on topic, this is not the Vancouver board....

Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all you said is fair and true, but the difference is, if an American hates the south, he can move to Minnesota or Illinois, and if one hates the cold north, he can move to California or New Mexico.

But a Canadian who hates cold long winters has nowhere to move to. Isn't it the topic under discussion here? Nobody is saying "hot is good, cold is bad", countries like the US offers more places for each one with difference preferences. Canada doesn't. Do you agree that or not? Or you are trying to convince people heat is bad, let's all embrace the coldness?

Yes, many southerners may wish a white Christmas, maybe for 3 or 4 days a year. It is fun and beautiful. But please ask them if they wish 50 snowy days and dangerous commute on the road every year, plus all the weather related flight cancellations. What do you think their respond will be.

Get real. We don't just have white Christmases. We have white December, January, February, and possible white March and white April. What do you think about that? Still want love white??
Botti; this post is a departure from your previous tone and one I can agree with, at least to the bolded extent. I would offer to you the" fact" that contrary to another poster suggesting Americans don't move north in the summer months as being completely false. Those in the same position as retirees, do in fact move north in large numbers, with at least two of my community in Florida moving all the way into the Canadian maritime provinces to spend their entire summer before heading back in the fall.

There are many who are able, due to financial circumstances, who have that pattern of migration down pat, with Goldie Hawn and her husband being a notable among those thousands of Americans owning summer properties in Canada.

Here's a short list of the more famous ones being just one bite of the whole enchilada;
10 big-time celebrities who cottage in Canada | Cottage Life

Whanna bet against some of them coming up during the winter also?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:

Toronto has 7 months where daily mean is 10 degrees or colder, that is cold. And that is Toronto, part of the 10% of Canada that is actually inhabitable beyond the realm of a few hardy young men. No leaves on the trees, you can't grow anything outside, and unreliable sunshine hours - what do you call that? It ain't springtime.

What is delusional is to deny that Canada's climate isn't a major drawback to the country. Deneb78 is absolutely right, Canada is a fail in terms of it's climate. Even for winter lovers like me, it's always better to have other options on the table, and the winters in Canada are far beyond what's necessary to satisfy the need for snow and slopes.

Quote:
Hobbs to be fair, actually hasn't seen much of Canada at all. Toronto and bit of Quebec I believe. His understanding of the landscape is obviously terribly misinformed.
Ontario and Quebec account for about 2/3 of the population of Canada. If seeing (and living) where 2/3 of the Canadian population lives isn't enough to make a statement about Canada's climate, then I'm not sure what is. Beyond that, having been to Vancouver, Seattle, and Minnesota, it doesn't take much imagination to make an educated assumption about the climates of the Canadian plains (based on all I've seen and read, the climates there are even colder than southern Ontario or southern Quebec). Very, very few Canadians have seen "much of Canada", considering the vast majority of Canada is just boreal permafrost. I sincerely doubt that I have seen less of Canada than your average Canuck.

I must admit, I'm always flattered that the same four Canadian defenders consistently endeavor to frame me as a guy who knows next to nothing about Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada