Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post

...... Hopefully Vancouver will have a very snowy Winter in 2016. Like Europe and Eastern Canada/US did last year.
Don't get your hopes up about that snow, kiddo. We have a super El Nino happening this autumn and winter, right into spring of 2016. That means BC will be warmer and drier that it was last year, and last year was warmer and drier than I've ever seen it in nigh on 70 years. The warmer, snowless winter last year meant no snow-pack and is the reason why BC had a drought and level 3 water restrictions this year during spring and summer, the first time in recorded history (126 years for BC) that a true drought has happened in BC. Be prepared for the same to happen next summer, maybe worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM

486 posts, read 445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Don't get your hopes up about that snow, kiddo. We have a super El Nino happening this autumn and winter, right into spring of 2016. That means BC will be warmer and drier that it was last year, and last year was warmer and drier than I've ever seen it in nigh on 70 years. The warmer, snowless winter last year meant no snow-pack and is the reason why BC had a drought and level 3 water restrictions this year during spring and summer, the first time in recorded history (126 years for BC) that a true drought has happened in BC. Be prepared for the same to happen next summer, maybe worse.

What's the rest of Canada going to look like? Winter 2015 was cold and snowy in Europe. There was snow in Southern Italy . Berlin saw temperatures in the -20s and even -30C probably once. Berlin has snow in April. The Canals in Amsterdam froze up for the first time in years.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
just like I play the tennis or go swimming? How many of these are what I can do without leaving the city of Toronto?

Trust me, you aren't going to be swimming anywhere in the US South in winter, except FL. Maybe some warm parts of AZ and CA, but very few areas are warm enough to swim in winter.

Here is Atlanta in January 2015. Doesn't look much different than around here in winter. Lots of dead trees.

https://goo.gl/maps/MARciGreSur

here is Long Island, NY in winter. Tbh, it looks quite similar. And we all know how cold Long Island can get in winter.

https://goo.gl/maps/eSDoeaSy4ax

No swimming,no beaching, etc. You will not get summer weather outside of south FL in winter in the southern US. The Caribbean is a far better alternative for that.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Trust me, you aren't going to be swimming anywhere in the US South in winter, except FL. Maybe some warm parts of AZ and CA, but very few areas are warm enough to swim in winter.

Here is Atlanta in January 2015. Doesn't look much different than around here in winter. Lots of dead trees.

here is Long Island, NY in winter. Tbh, it looks quite similar. And we all know how cold Long Island can get in winter.

No swimming,no beaching, etc. You will not get summer weather outside of south FL in winter in the southern US. The Caribbean is a far better alternative for that.
Atlanta's January weather is actually called "spring" weather by many Canadians because it is the weather that they typically experience in April and May in the deep south of Canada (Montreal, Toronto, etc.). That "dead" look of trees without leaves and brownish grass lasts for the majority of the year in southern Canada.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post
What's the rest of Canada going to look like? Winter 2015 was cold and snowy in Europe. There was snow in Southern Italy . Berlin saw temperatures in the -20s and even -30C probably once. Berlin has snow in April. The Canals in Amsterdam froze up for the first time in years.
Your guess is as good as mine about the rest of Canada and the rest of the world but I'm thinking that both locally and globally there will likely be a few more extreme climate surprises and record breakers (again) that nobody is expecting. If you look online for global forecasts about this El Nino you'll see there are a lot scientists and meteorologists around the world are making all kinds of prognostications (because it's such a strong El Nino this time) but none of them are absolutely, positively sure about what to expect. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. It could be exciting.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:30 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

What about tennis? Soccer? Basketball? Bicycling? Walking for 30 minutes?
Swim is just one example.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
You can walk in the snow for 15 minutes and get the same work out.

Half glass full, botti.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:

Give it up Botti...they will never get it or maybe probably they pretend of not getting it...do not worry, the rest of the world does....

You can do a lot of fun outdoor stuff in Siberia too...ok I get it....

Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
FUN... Weeeeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Z9l55RFaM

Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:

Well I did work with a woman a few years back that was sent to Atlanta for work for a year. She said winter was not summer like, but was fine for playing tennis.

I prefer the coastal southeast like South Carolina. It looks much more summer like even in winter, though it is not summer temp wise.

Charleston, SC Jan 2015 nice but there will be no swimming or beaching lol.

I'm sure it beats Toronto though for strolling around.

https://goo.gl/maps/nJ6jB3ptZEJ2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada