Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 09:34 PM

486 posts, read 445,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
For Canada, global warming might actually be a good thing
Global warming is not a good thing for Vancouver. If global warming happened in Vancouver which it probably already is. The winters will be very snowless which sucks and the summers to be very hot and dry with temperatures reaching 38° and a drought practically like a desert. Then it would turn into some semi arid climate with short mild winters and long hot summers. The summer to be quite miserable like no rain. In Vancouver we need lots of snow in the winter because if there's no snow in the winter in the mountains have less snow in the winter that means that the snow cannot mount and that's why the summer of 2015 was a drought and we saw like no rain for 3 weeks. Yeah I know it rains a lot in Vancouver that's the point if there's no rain in Vancouver for three weeks then there's a problem. If there's no snow in the winter the news also problems or Vancouver.

OK Summers won't be that bad in Vancouver because the ocean does moderate the temperature so they won't be like 32° maybe but I live further in land I live about 100 km east of Vancouver and trusting the summers are probably get up to 38° here. Although if global cooling happened it probably get them -30 where I live. I definitely would want colder and snowier winters.

Although since you live in Ontario you probably want warmer winters. A perfect winter would be for the both of us. British Columbia sees temperatures below -15 and a huge blizzards while Ontario temperature stay around 0° with mild and sunny weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post
Global warming is not a good thing for Vancouver. If global warming happened in Vancouver which it probably already is. The winters will be very snowless which sucks and the summers to be very hot and dry with temperatures reaching 38° and a drought practically like a desert. Then it would turn into some semi arid climate with short mild winters and long hot summers. The summer to be quite miserable like no rain. In Vancouver we need lots of snow in the winter because if there's no snow in the winter in the mountains have less snow in the winter that means that the snow cannot mount and that's why the summer of 2015 was a drought and we saw like no rain for 3 weeks. Yeah I know it rains a lot in Vancouver that's the point if there's no rain in Vancouver for three weeks then there's a problem. If there's no snow in the winter the news also problems or Vancouver.

OK Summers won't be that bad in Vancouver because the ocean does moderate the temperature so they won't be like 32° maybe but I live further in land I live about 100 km east of Vancouver and trusting the summers are probably get up to 38° here. Although if global cooling happened it probably get them -30 where I live. I definitely would want colder and snowier winters.

Although since you live in Ontario you probably want warmer winters. A perfect winter would be for the both of us. British Columbia sees temperatures below -15 and a huge blizzards while Ontario temperature stay around 0° with mild and sunny weather.
Regarding the bolded parts, I think you meant to say 3 months, not 3 weeks, yes??

But it was actually more like 4 months that Vancouver and the lower mainland and many parts of interior BC got no rain, not only 3 months. Water restrictions were in place for 5 months, nearly 6 months.

What you described for perfect winters is wrong, it would be the opposite of perfect because the environments and wildlife in all the provinces are already adapted to what the climate and inland water conditions are now. If the climate conditions changed to what you suggested it would cause economic, agricultural and environmental disasters.

In the west in BC, if the lower mainland, the islands and the coastlines got blizzards and temperatures below -15 it would be an environmental disaster for all the west coast marine life, river and lake life, the rainforests and all other vegetation, and all the coastal wildlife on land that depend on the milder winter temperatures to survive. Literally a disaster. Elsewhere in the province, in the higher elevations of the interior south and north, up the far north coast and in the eastern and far northern regions of British Columbia they already do sometimes get blizzards and winter temperatures that are below -15 and much, much colder at times. But it isn't as environmentally disastrous in those regions because it's not all rainforest in there and the wildlife and forests there are more adapted to harsher conditions.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-17-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post
There is a climate like that. Amsterdam.
Amsterdam is a little too warm. The average high is around 5 degrees in January and it doesn't get enough snow. I was thinking something similar to southern Ontario, just shorter and less extreme. Perhaps more of northern Europe is close to it.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Amsterdam is a little too warm. The average high is around 5 degrees in January and it doesn't get enough snow. I was thinking something similar to southern Ontario, just shorter and less extreme. Perhaps more of northern Europe is close to it.
Berlin and Munich have snowy winters but aren't like -20C

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Regarding the bolded parts, I think you meant to say 3 months, not 3 weeks, yes??

But it was actually more like 4 months that Vancouver and the lower mainland and many parts of interior BC got no rain, not only 3 months. Water restrictions were in place for 5 months, nearly 6 months.

What you described for perfect winters is wrong, it would be the opposite of perfect because the environments and wildlife in all the provinces are already adapted to what the climate and inland water conditions are now. If the climate conditions changed to what you suggested it would cause economic, agricultural and environmental disasters.

In the west in BC, if the lower mainland, the islands and the coastlines got blizzards and temperatures below -15 it would be an environmental disaster for all the west coast marine life, river and lake life, the rainforests and all other vegetation, and all the coastal wildlife on land that depend on the milder winter temperatures to survive. Literally a disaster. Elsewhere in the province, in the higher elevations of the interior south and north, up the far north coast and in the eastern and far northern regions of British Columbia they already do sometimes get blizzards and winter temperatures that are below -15 and much, much colder at times. But it isn't as environmentally disastrous in those regions because it's not all rainforest in there and the wildlife and forests there are more adapted to harsher conditions.

No, it would have been 3 weeks. No one in the history of Canada has gone three months without precipitation except possibly Rea Point, Nunavut which can go 7 months in a row without measurable precipitation, though it does get a trace of snow almost every single day during those cold winter and spring months. Rea Point can get less than 1 inch of precipitation in an entire year!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Meh. A mm here one day, a mm there another day ..... for a full 16 weeks, from May to the end of August, ..... I won't quibble but none of that is what I call rain for Vancouver, it's nothing more than an occasional little bit of spit that did nobody any good. The increase in rain shown for August is what happened when we got that big rain and wind storm right at the very end of August and that storm effected the entire province.

Total Precipitation over the Last Year (monthly data) for Vancouver

Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Meh. A mm here one day, a mm there another day ..... for a full 16 weeks, from May to the end of August, ..... I won't quibble but none of that is what I call rain for Vancouver, it's nothing more than an occasional little bit of spit that did nobody any good. The increase in rain shown for August is what happened when we got that big rain and wind storm right at the very end of August and that storm effected the entire province.

Total Precipitation over the Last Year (monthly data) for Vancouver

Wow May is dry

Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
May was dry this year and so was summer, but Summer is very dry in Vancouver. It has one of the driest summers in Canada on average.

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data

Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
May was dry this year and so was summer, but Summer is very dry in Vancouver. It has one of the driest summers in Canada on average.

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data
Oh that makes sense. The average temperatures and precipitation recorded at Vancouver international airport. I live in the Fraser Valley and the winters here are quite a bit colder than Vancouver due to the Fraser Valley being further in land and being higher up in elevation. In The Fraser Valley we can get below zero quite a bit in the winter in the summer temperatures are in the 20s. It also gets much more rain and snow here than in Vancouver.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
I think global warming is a big super positive for Canada. Sure some people in Vancouver many not like it, but guess what, you just have to move up the coast in BC and you could have what Vancouver used to be.

The rest of the country would see it as nothing but positive I would suspect. Except for maybe some of the coastal towns due to flooding, but Canada has a large % of it's population over 100ft, so sea levels aren't that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada