Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,191 times

Advertisements

Calgary has the best winter in a long time this year. All of February we pretty much had highs above 6 degrees for the most part. All the snow has melted. February feels like April this year in Calgary. It could be an early spring, or it could mean a very bad April and March is in store for us. I hope it's the former of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Still a fail though if you compare it to a " real " skiers paradise.

The "IMO" is key. Some hate our weather, some don't mind it, and some love it. Personally I am a summer person, but without a contrast, it would just be another sunny day and things like going to the beach cease to become special. I do enjoy Spring and Autumn. Winter in Vancouver isn't bad, and I don't mind the rain.

A Vancouver friend moved to LA for work 30 years ago. He was a beach person, but no more, since as he says "you can pretty much always go, so I don't ". He also describes LA's weather as mainly boring...except when those heave rain storms hit. When he visits Vancouver, he always comments on how fresh the air is.
Haaar! Boy do I identify with your friend on the beach thing from years of spending as much time in the sun as was possible until advanced years and having pre-cancers removed each year got really old.

Now I'm supposed to wear long sleeves and pants on the golf course and that I absolutely refuse to go along with.

Lathering myself up with greasy sun-screen pretty much put a wet-depends on the wearing of a speedo.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Calgary has the best winter in a long time this year. All of February we pretty much had highs above 6 degrees for the most part. All the snow has melted. February feels like April this year in Calgary. It could be an early spring, or it could mean a very bad April and March is in store for us. I hope it's the former of course!
If climate experts are to be believed we are entering a prolonged period of very interesting pattern changes in our usual weather. We could very well witness droughts and worse hitting the southwest like nothing they've ever seen before.

I keep harping on the plentiful water supply we have in Canada but that too could change. Some very inventive solutions are going to be our challenge and petty bickering over latitude location will fade very quickly.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:10 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Toronto went down to -26.3C yesterday. My god that would shatter records here, and we are a cold part of the US. Yes, Canada is a total climate fail, besides the tiny region near Vancouver that has England type weather. Canada has not a single place warm in winter.

Are there young people in Canada that would like to up sticks and just move to a warmer climate without all the hassles of emigrating? I'm sure there are as it is a very common theme here to move to a climate you prefer. Canadians are stuck, for the most part, in very cold winter climates.

Here it is not unusual at all to meet people that have moved or are moving in the US to their fav climate. When I was in New Orleans April 2014 I met quite a few New Yorkers that chose New Orleans only for the climate. I guess that is just not a common thing in Canada given the total lack of choices. I do not envy Canada in that regard.

Canada has quite a few other things going for it, but climate is a total failure.

My region of the US is considered quite cold by the rest of the country. Here is what our coastal areas in the Mid-Atlantic look like in the dead of winter. I took these pics last weekend in Cape May NJ. What part of Ontario looks like this in winter? The coastal Mid-Atlantic looks nothing like eastern Canada in winter, despite some Canadian posters trying to equate our climate with Toronto.

I'm not sure what the heck would be green after -15F lol.

Camellias blooming in winter.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
ha nice - the Humidor full of Havanas that is.. You know I love you Chevy but you gotta expand the vacation horizon.. We're going to Indonesia next month

I wanna see you go somewhere further afield next trip
Fusion, I've been pretty much everywhere I ever wanted to go. Europe, the UK, Africa, Australia (including the outback), and all through the US. Fine places all, but I've been there.

Places I'd like to return to? San Francisco, certainly. Perth, Australia, definitely. London, always.

But I'm getting up in age, and I'm not as adventurous as I once was. An "all-in" to Las Vegas still lets me drink, gamble, see shows (I love standup comedy, and have seen some greats there), enjoy cigars, eat great food, and just enjoy the passing parade that is Fremont Street and the Strip. As you may recall, I'm a bibliophile, so I go to Bauman's Rare Books at the Venetian--you've seen the manager Rebecca on "Pawn Stars"--and maybe I'll buy something. I have before. (Actually, last time I was in Las Vegas, I returned with two rare books from Bauman's, and the CBSA agent at customs bonged his eyes out when I declared what they were.) Remember also that I have no SO, and Vegas doesn't care; I can travel there as a single and not have to pay a single supplement. Las Vegas works for me.

Looking forward to hearing of your experiences in Indonesia!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
You know what's really weird about this topic is that it's not possible for Canada or any other country in the world to be a fail in terms of its climate.

Every country is what it is. It is neither a failure nor a success in terms of climate. Every place is just a location where all sorts of different things live and evolve in accordance with that location's climate.

The only thing that can be considered a failure in terms of climate in any part of the world is the people and other living things who fail to evolve and adapt to any given climate they're in. If they can't adapt to a climate they have two options, they can move away or they can die. Something or someone else will happily take the failure's place and will adapt very successfully. The failures who are gone won't be missed because failures are a hindrance to all other successful things.

Canada has an abundance of living things - plants, animals, fish, birds, humans - who are all very well adapted to Canada's climate and have been adapted and adapting to it for hundreds of thousands of years. They are not failures. They are evolved beings.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Fusion, I've been pretty much everywhere I ever wanted to go. Europe, the UK, Africa, Australia (including the outback), and all through the US. Fine places all, but I've been there.

Places I'd like to return to? San Francisco, certainly. Perth, Australia, definitely. London, always.

But I'm getting up in age, and I'm not as adventurous as I once was. An "all-in" to Las Vegas still lets me drink, gamble, see shows (I love standup comedy, and have seen some greats there), enjoy cigars, eat great food, and just enjoy the passing parade that is Fremont Street and the Strip. As you may recall, I'm a bibliophile, so I go to Bauman's Rare Books at the Venetian--you've seen the manager Rebecca on "Pawn Stars"--and maybe I'll buy something. I have before. (Actually, last time I was in Las Vegas, I returned with two rare books from Bauman's, and the CBSA agent at customs bonged his eyes out when I declared what they were.) Remember also that I have no SO, and Vegas doesn't care; I can travel there as a single and not have to pay a single supplement. Las Vegas works for me.

Looking forward to hearing of your experiences in Indonesia!
I was kind of pulling your leg about it you go where you enjoy going and Bauman's is a gem. Keep in mind however that some of the places you thought you wouldn't be interested in going mayopen up a new world for you - just a thought to ponder.

As for age etc that is why my partner and I are travelling while we are young or 'youngish' I should say. First because time is not guaranteed to anyone and second because we want to go when we have the energy and motivation to do what we are passionate about.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
@ tom77falcons : the pictures you showed look strikingly (in terms of weather and vegetation, obviously not architecture) like Western/ Southwestern France in winter, which is more northerly as Cape May - at the same latitude as snowy, freezy Montreal actually.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are there young people in Canada that would like to up sticks and just move to a warmer climate without all the hassles of emigrating? I'm sure there are as it is a very common theme here to move to a climate you prefer. Canadians are stuck, for the most part, in very cold winter climates.
I think Zoisite used the key word Tom and its Adapt.. Whether young or old you adapt to the conditions you can't change. Weather is one of those things we can't change so we adapt. It is very common for people in Canada to

A) Get a passport
B) Go to Cuba/D.R or as Chevy does go to L.V or Florida for a week or two to get away from the winter

Would it be ideal for Canada to have somewhere warm or large areas of it to be warm, sure but I suspect that most people just adapt, accept and move on making the best of it.. Using terms like 'fail' is just silly.. It would be like me saying the U.S is a 'fail' against other western nations when it comes to gun violence and that you can't move to any large cities which have the low gun violence rates as Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver so thus the U.S is a 'fail' in that regard.. Its true but is it a way to discuss a matter in an adult fashion, I don't think so.

Anyway, Its also a matter of perspective because these sub zero temps in an average winter are a few months of the year. If it were all year i'd see why people would be going on about this stuff but a few months i'm just not getting what all the fuss is about.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
hahaha. I just don't get it either Nat.. I think most Canadians would love to shed our 4 months of winter but it is what it is not a thing we can do about it.. Beating this like a dead horse will do nothing to change the weather here so its a pointless exercise. Heck even Americans in the northern latitudes of the U.S aren't necessarily going to move south of the Mason Dixon line just because the weather is more agreeable. If that were the case NYC, Boston, Chicago etc would be ghost towns.
That is because the average person is not nearly as preoccupied with the weather as the average city-data forumer seems to be.

I have to say I don't really care much about the weather outside unless I have a specific outdoor activity planned. In those cases that might mean I want it to be hot and sunny (pool party) or cold (skating party) or snowy (skiing outing)…

Today is Monday. Kids going to school. Wife and I going to work. I don't really care if it's -10 or +5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada