Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am voting for this person!
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party 15 31.25%
Tom Mulcair, NDP 10 20.83%
Elizabeth May, Green Party 3 6.25%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois 6 12.50%
Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM

380 posts, read 430,529 times

Advertisements

This poll (while not scientific) certainly represents the scientific polling we've seen throughout this campaign with no party standing out for the other in terms of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
AH representative government.. You so smart Nat

though wouldn't Harper have had his minority governments all along (including 2011) because the Cons received the highest number of representative votes of the parties in question?
I haven't done the math, but in Proportional representation, they may not have. From the deepest corner of the internet.

"This voting system is a little more complex, and has few different models.

In one, a voter casts a ballot for a party, as opposed to voting for a prospective MP under a party banner as the current system prescribes.

Once all the votes are counted, parties are awarded a number of seats in proportion to the percentage of votes each received.

A second model, called “mixed member proportional” model is a hybrid system that combines the above with some single-member ridings. Several years ago, Elections Ontario proposed the province adopt this system, but it didn’t pass a referendum.

As described by the electoral body, the system would allow voters to cast one ballot for a candidate in their riding and a second ballot for their preferred party. The first vote determines, more or less, who sits in the legislature based on the second ballot which determines how many seats the party will fill.

In the end, if a party ends up with fewer seats than it should have based on its overall popularity, they would get some “top up” members from an already established party list.

Confused? Yeah, that’s one of the criticisms of this system.

But the praise – that it’s a fair system – often outweighs the criticism. If a party gets 30 per cent of the popular vote, it will get 30 per cent of the seats in the legislature.

To look at the last federal election again, Stephen Harper’s Conservatives won 39.6 per cent of the popular vote, but earned 166 of the 305 seats (54.4 per cent), and therefore a majority government.

The official Opposition NDP, by contrast, won 30.6 per cent of the popular vote and only 103 seats (33.8 per cent)."

Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I haven't done the math, but in Proportional representation, they may not have. From the deepest corner of the internet.

"This voting system is a little more complex, and has few different models.

In one, a voter casts a ballot for a party, as opposed to voting for a prospective MP under a party banner as the current system prescribes.

Once all the votes are counted, parties are awarded a number of seats in proportion to the percentage of votes each received.

A second model, called “mixed member proportional” model is a hybrid system that combines the above with some single-member ridings. Several years ago, Elections Ontario proposed the province adopt this system, but it didn’t pass a referendum.

As described by the electoral body, the system would allow voters to cast one ballot for a candidate in their riding and a second ballot for their preferred party. The first vote determines, more or less, who sits in the legislature based on the second ballot which determines how many seats the party will fill.

In the end, if a party ends up with fewer seats than it should have based on its overall popularity, they would get some “top up” members from an already established party list.

Confused? Yeah, that’s one of the criticisms of this system.

But the praise – that it’s a fair system – often outweighs the criticism. If a party gets 30 per cent of the popular vote, it will get 30 per cent of the seats in the legislature.

To look at the last federal election again, Stephen Harper’s Conservatives won 39.6 per cent of the popular vote, but earned 166 of the 305 seats (54.4 per cent), and therefore a majority government.

The official Opposition NDP, by contrast, won 30.6 per cent of the popular vote and only 103 seats (33.8 per cent)."
I suck at math. Let me know the news...good or bad LOL

Old 09-30-2015, 12:45 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
I think despite what the polls say the NDP will be winning a majority government. Most people don't like Harper or Trudeau but can tolerate Mulcair. Plus you wouldn't believe the levels of crowds around the NDP kiosk at my University.

Last edited by GM10; 09-30-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I think despite what the polls say the NDP will be winning a majority government. Mos people don't like Harper or Trudeau but can tolerate Mulcair. Plus you wouldn't believe the levels of crowds around the NDP kiosk at my University.
It really is a tough call. I saw crowds around Trudeau the times he's been in Vancouver. Not sure how to measure that against how a whole country feels.

I agree thought, that polls are becoming useless. They seem to be faltering more and more in their predictions, most likely because the way people connect today is so different than 10 years ago.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
I think despite what the polls say the NDP will be winning a majority government. Mos people don't like Harper or Trudeau but can tolerate Mulcair. Plus you wouldn't believe the levels of crowds around the NDP kiosk at my University.
I think that would be awesome.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
That is very unlikely to happen.

The crowds? As if that's an accurate indication of support.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That is very unlikely to happen.

The crowds? As if that's an accurate indication of support.
I tend to agree. If anything the Conservatives will likely end up with a higher percentage than the polls are showing right now as there tends to be a bit of "sleeper" Conservative support out there. Basically, it's not seen as "cool" to vote for them so many people don't advertise that that is who they support. Whereas it's more "cool" to be Liberal or NDP.

None of this reflects my personal preferences BTW.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 PM

380 posts, read 430,529 times
The NDP have been seeing their numbers fall in the polls in recent days. The Liberals and CPC are neck-and-neck right now.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I tend to agree. If anything the Conservatives will likely end up with a higher percentage than the polls are showing right now as there tends to be a bit of "sleeper" Conservative support out there. Basically, it's not seen as "cool" to vote for them so many people don't advertise that that is who they support. Whereas it's more "cool" to be Liberal or NDP.

None of this reflects my personal preferences BTW.
Huh? Considering that the it's usually the immature, IE youth, that worry about a " cool " factor, and the youth don't vote in strong numbers, I find your statement rather amusing.

If I was going to apply ones coolness concerns in regards to voting, I'd say those people would choose the Green Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada