Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The French paradox?
LOL....you mean Quebecois paradox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:04 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL....you mean Quebecois paradox.
Well, in this case I think French might actually be appropriate, since we're talking about French genetics. French origin people are generally ''smaller''. And of course we also drink half the red wine bought in the country, so I guess that must help too.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
As a kid I loved KD! I hadn't had it many years, so about 10 years ago I decided to have it for old times sake.

Yuck. I couldn't finish it. I was actually disappointed that I didn't like anymore and I kind of wish I did, which is bit odd, I admit.

However.....NOW that I see how you prepare it, I may try it again.
Oh man, does this bring back memories of cooking KD on a hot plate in our college apartment and adding hamburger meat and some seasoning. Amazing how the three of us would look forward to that evening meal and come up with ways to fabricate our own hamburger helper recipes. Equally amazing was the cheap wine we bought by the gallon to drink with that meal...aaah, the 60's. We had it made.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, in this case I think French might actually be appropriate, since we're talking about French genetics. French origin people are generally ''smaller''. And of course we also drink half the red wine bought in the country, so I guess that must help too.
Well, when they are young. LOL

As for red wine..I can find a stat that Quebec drinks more red wine than the ROC...but it doesn't split it into domestic and imported.

I know BC wines are huge in BC with specialty stores selling nothing but BC wine.

Trying to find the Stats for BC, only could fine BC drinks the most white wine in Canada....

This wiki link, so not sure if accurate, and is old from 2006 is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoho...ages_in_Canada

Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh man, does this bring back memories of cooking KD on a hot plate in our college apartment and adding hamburger meat and some seasoning. Amazing how the three of us would look forward to that evening meal and come up with ways to fabricate our own hamburger helper recipes. Equally amazing was the cheap wine we bought by the gallon to drink with that meal...aaah, the 60's. We had it made.
Cheap wine in glass jugs with a handle. Andrew wines in BC comes to mind. Koolaid tasting, but potent enough.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Any Canadian cook worth their salt will know that KD's popularity in Canada is not just because it's cheap (which it is not) or easy to prepare comfort food (which it is) or that it's junk food (which it is not).
KD isn't junk food??? The stuff consists of cheap white pasta, processed cheese and is prepared with butter and milk. It's cheap crap that runs you around $1 a box at your local Freshco, and is popular with young families and college kids exactly for this reason (it's cheap price also saves the latter more money for beer when buying the weekly groceries).

Seriously, I have no idea what is more ridiculous... Bestowing the virtues of a diet of Krap Dinner as if it is some kind of "superfood", or the people commenting that don't seem to think that obesity is just big a problem in Canada as it is in the U.S.

As for Canadians eating healthier than Americans... Give me a break. I have no idea where you live or work, but here in Toronto the vast majority of my coworkers openly wonder how I manage to find the time to cook my own lunch as they regularly eat from fast food joints - with Popeye's and Pizza Pizza being two of the most popular choices.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

As for red wine..I can find a stat that Quebec drinks more red wine than the ROC...but it doesn't split it into domestic and imported.

I know BC wines are huge in BC with specialty stores selling nothing but BC wine.

Trying to find the Stats for BC, only could fine BC drinks the most white wine in Canada....

This wiki link, so not sure if accurate, and is old from 2006 is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoho...ages_in_Canada
Oh, I think you read it as Quebecers drink more red wine because they're "French" (sic)... which might be true to a point (contemporary* influence from France), but what I meant more was that drinking red wine helps decompose and neutralize fats...

*I say "contemporary" because up until the 1970s, Quebec was a beer and hard liquor kind of place.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 AM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:

[/url]
For wine in general (not red specifically), the Canadian average is 15.7 liters per person, Quebec is at 22.7. The second highest is BC, at 16.9 l/pp. Ontario is at 14.1.

Source: Vin Québec, original data from StatCan

Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
I agree three things make American women less attractive

1) being fat - and the political correctness BS is supposed to tell people being fat can be "beautiful" too. Sorry, no. Fat is not healthy, against human nature and very few people will think fat girls are physically pretty, no matter how you advertise to embrace it. If you have a BMI over 24, you are fat.

2) they way they are dressed. I don't know why so many young American women like to dress in that sloppy or even trashy way as if that's "character". Jeans with holes, dark lips, tattoos, piercing, clothes too short that half of your butt-cheeks are revealed, cheer leader tank tops showing the shape of the nipples, flipflops on the streets, baggy shirts - that's not trendy or cool, that's just trashy. Why don't people realize clean skin and hair and clothes that actually fit and covers property is attractive? The desperate seeking of "character" or "coolness" is ugly.

3) the way they talk. I am repelled by girls who obsessively use the word "like" in every fr**king sentence, or too many rising tones. I simply can't stand it. It is a reflection of bad upbringing. Huge turn-off.

This doesn't apply to American females only. Many Canadians women do just the same.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 AM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree three things make American women less attractive

1) being fat - and the political correctness BS is supposed to tell people being fat can be "beautiful" too. Sorry, no. Fat is not healthy, against human nature and very few people will think fat girls are physically pretty, no matter how you advertise to embrace it. If you have a BMI over 24, you are fat.

2) they way they are dressed. I don't know why so many young American women like to dress in that sloppy or even trashy way as if that's "character". Jeans with holes, dark lips, tattoos, piercing, clothes too short that half of your butt-cheeks are revealed, cheer leader tank tops showing the shape of the nipples, flipflops on the streets, baggy shirts - that's not trendy or cool, that's just trashy. Why don't people realize clean skin and hair and clothes that actually fit and covers property is attractive? The desperate seeking of "character" or "coolness" is ugly.

3) the way they talk. I am repelled by girls who obsessively use the word "like" in every fr**king sentence, or too many rising tones. I simply can't stand it. It is a reflection of bad upbringing. Huge turn-off.

This doesn't apply to American females only. Many Canadians women do just the same.
You do realize you just described most of North American youth?

And I would think the people you despise would dismiss you and just say you are a lame old guy anyway.

Other than the fat thing you described pretty much every pretty popular young girl in north america. And a lot of them are going to be wildly successful. They would just have to dress 'properly' for their job and do whatever they feel at night. You probably work with people you just described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada