Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 05:48 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh he's a CBC type. He would have known most of them I am sure.

But your average Canadian? That would have been funny.
I watched the hilarious video you posted. So it isn't only Americans he targets as being clueless. And I doubt that those people would have been much use on the questions I listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
AJ, I am a she.

They are wolves known as sea wolves, but are a very unique subspecies of the grey wolf, they are fishing wolves that inhabit the coastal regions of BC. They hunt for Sitka deer, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, edible seaweeds in addition to other wolfy kinds of foods. They are as comfortable in the ocean as they are on land and are known to swim several miles at a stretch to get from one island to another and to and from the mainland. Sometimes they will visit villages and towns on the islands and mainland, occasionally to steal farm dogs or small livestock. They look rangy but are incredibly strong and are very powerful, enduring swimmers. They normally inhabit the Great Bear Rainforest and northwest coastal regions but have sometimes been seen in southern BC swimming around the Gulf Islands between Vancouver and Victoria.

Here's a bit of info about them, with beautiful pictures of them:
Thank you. I always learn something here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I watched the hilarious video you posted. So it isn't only Americans he targets as being clueless. And I doubt that those people would have been much use on the questions I listed.

I posted Guy Nantel. Not Rick Mercer.

Nantel has never targeted Americans. Mercer of course has. Mercer afaik has never targeted Canadians.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 AM

Is it me or is it telling that the Quebec guy started at home with Quebecers with his questions whereas the Anglo Canadian guy started immediately with Americans?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
With regard to Mr. jbgusa's "pop quiz", I got all the answers except Nos. 7, 8, 9, and 11 -- and learned all of them, except for Riel and the metis, by the time I'd graduated from college; (I can name most of the PM's post-Diefenbaker). Admittedly, the circumstances of one's education and where one grew up are a factor, but Americans, particularly those who grew up in the Northeast or near the Great Lakes, aren't as ignorant as is sometimes depicted -- and the gap will continue to narrow.
You got most of that right. I grew up and have lived in the New York City area, with short detours for college and law school to upstate New York and Boston. Thus my media has always had good Canadian coverage. I learned about the post-Diefenbaker PM's, therefore, as they obtained and left office (Turner and Campbell were never elected so I didn't use that term).

As far as the PM who talks to dogs, I am Jewish and since PM King as well as Roosevelt were willfully inactive on Jewish survival I made it my business to learn about them. As far as the proposed combined Prairie provinces I subscribe to Canadian Geographic and learned those facts that way. As far as Berlin, Ontario I learned that and other facts by participating on the now-defunct CBC boards.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I posted Guy Nantel. Not Rick Mercer.

Nantel has never targeted Americans. Mercer of course has. Mercer afaik has never targeted Canadians.
Interesting. I'll look for more comments when I get back from Temple. 9:00 a.m. services.

By the way the first Canadian I met was my first Hebrew school teacher. She was at the time Montreal's one (I believe) Jewish resident.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Interesting. I'll look for more comments when I get back from Temple. 9:00 a.m. services.

By the way the first Canadian I met was my first Hebrew school teacher. She was at the time Montreal's one (I believe) Jewish resident.
Montreal has had tens of thousands of Jews for over 100 years.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:43 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Hahahaha like Rick Mercer when he went down to the USA and convinced people to sign a petition for Canada to stop leaving their senior citizens to die on the Arctic ice floes???

One person who signed it, Mike Huckabee, is now running for President.
Your little anecdote is incorrect, Mike Huckabee congratulated Canada on preserving its national igloo.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I was only partially kidding. Quebec's separatist government(s), preceded by the nominally pre-separatist era of the 1960's has succeeded in drastically reducing and aging Montreal's Jewish population/.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Longer then that, actually! Jews arrived with the first British/American troops, there's been a robust community in Montreal ever since.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Longer then that, actually! Jews arrived with the first British/American troops, there's been a robust community in Montreal ever since.
Yes and thanks for chiming in.

Ezekiel Hart was elected to the assembly to represent Trois-Rivières in the early 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada