Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 10:00 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Does anyone remember the Iroquois scalpers on the B-side of the Kelloggs' cereal box? Was it the Frosted Flakes box - Iroquois scalping the white-skins pop-out stand-up figures? That was 1960s Canada, but the product came from Kelloggs USA.

Were the Iroquois scalper stories on the back of the cereal boxes only distributed in Canada, or did that image of Canada land on the breakfast tables of people across the USA as well? Were the scalping Iroquois in the USA too?

Is that why USA people more than half a century later are wondering about foreign countries? Feed the hungry stories tell us about Africa. Is that how people in the USA view Canada - a cereal box story?
Hilarious! Well, in a pathetic kind of way. I don't remember that at all, so maybe it was a Canadian thing.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't recall that Kelloggs one of scalpers, but Post Honeycombs cereal that was produced in Canada had their own version - it was called the Cowboys and Indians Game and featured 8 piece sets of free plastic toys inside the box, of Cowboys and Indians all displayed pointing guns or knives or bows and arrows. Post and Kelloggs weren't the only companies that were selling stuff like that. See pictures:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cowbo...d0Q9QF6BAgEEDg

I don't recall plastic cowboys and Indians in cereal boxes specifically, but we did have them as toys in the USA. As a matter of fact, my younger brother unearthed a plastic cowboy brandishing a tomahawk while working in my mother's backyard. It was likely my older brother's toy. I remember he had a set with a fort with snap-together fences.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
I remember those little plastic toys as well! I wonder how much influence cereal box information had on perceptions that children formed about other peoples and countries.
I think all the "western" mentality type of 'shoot em up, kill em all' movies and TV series shows being produced in that era had far more influence on viewers perceptions than any cheap toys in cereal boxes, candy packages or laundry detergent packages ever had.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think all the "western" mentality type of 'shoot em up, kill em all' movies and TV series shows being produced in that era had far more influence on viewers perceptions than any cheap toys in cereal boxes, candy packages or laundry detergent packages ever had.

I agree. The TV was full of western dramas and there were a lot of western movies at that time, too.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
That is about the Lieutenant Governor of one province. I'm wondering if perhaps you are confusing a province's Lieutenant Governor with the nation's Governor General, and confusing a single province and its provincial government with the whole nation, the crown, the federal government and Parliament.

Canada gained authority to declare war in 1931 and Canada's government has only ever made declarations of war during WW 2, those 6 declarations being made against 6 individual countries. I think you should read the following, which is an explanation of the purpose of that letter for royal assent that you posted above. The same copy of that letter is also shown, plus there is explanation about the procedure each time Canada made a declaration of war against another nation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declar...e%20government.

I am well aware of the difference between Crown representation at the federal and provincial levels, but you obviously missed the point:

"ruled that the powers of reservation and disallowance of vice-regal offices were “subject to no limitation or restriction"

Vice-regal means representing the Crown. This would include the GG. No limitation. And note the reference to "reservation", because I'll refer to it in a bit.

But you do raise a good point about the Statute of Westminster which I hadn't caught - Canada won the right in 1931 to declare war without the requirement for the UK Parliament to do so on its behalf (and the UK Parliament can't interfere in Canada's parliamentary decision).

This differs from 1914 when the UK Parliament declared war and Canada therefore automatically declared war as well.

Note that I said Parliament. Not the Crown.

So after the UK Parliament declared war on September 3rd, Canada waited a week to assert its independence from the UK parliamentary decision. Can't fault them there, especially as Parliament was in recess on the 3rd.

I wanted to make sure that the Statute of Westminster didn't refer to the Crown, so I read through the full text. It's pretty short.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...9310004_en.pdf

References to the Dominion having absolute power over the Crown? None. Just that the Dominions can make their own laws apart from the UK government.

If the King, via the Governor General, said "No Canada, you may not declare war", based upon Supreme Court precedent as well as the Reserve Power of the Crown, that would be that. Again, this is purely hypothetical given Canada's support for the UK, and also likely a moot point because by the time the Crown would have responded Canada would already have been at war.

Here's a link to what Reserve Power means. It's important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_power#Canada

In the US, the Constitution and the division of power between the Supreme Court, Congress and the President covers this off. In Canada, the Crown has a balancing power, just in case.

So my original answer stands. The Crown could have said "no".

And I had read previously the comment from Leonard Brockington about Royal Assent for this declaration, it's not incompatible with what I said about the King having final authority. Of course Canada would want their Sovereign and Head of State to approve it on their behalf. And such approval was a foregone conclusion.

But there is a darker side to reserve power - the Crown via the GG can dissolve parliament and ask for a different party to form a government.

This actually happened in Australia in 1975. The Crown can exert reserve power as Head of State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_A...utional_crisis

"On 11 November 1975, Whitlam intended to call a half-Senate election in an attempt to break the deadlock. When he went to seek Kerr's approval for the election, Kerr instead dismissed him as Prime Minister and shortly thereafter installed Fraser as caretaker Prime Minister."

Don't think it can't happen today? It did in BC in 2017 by the LG over the Clark provincial government.

So it could happen at the federal level in Canada. There may be no reason for it to ever happen, but it could.

Last edited by markjames68; 11-27-2020 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 05:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The interesting thing about your Ukrainian comment is that I'm of the generation where we all called each other names, French, Mennonites, Ukrainians and it was never seen as racism or even meant as racism.
Race is not the same as culture, language, religion, nationality or ethnicity, though. People so often make that mistake these days.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,185 times
Quote:
I sent my son to the USA for a week and he came back saying he never wanted to return because it is so materialistic compared to other countries. It wasn't his first trip out of the country, but it was the first where he said not again.
I don't believe that the United States is significantly more materialistic than Canada.

Quote:
As for people giving teeth to live in the violent, aggressive, mob-style, social-disrupt environment of the USA, I would caution regarding stupidity and direct towards respecting others, other nations and Commonwealth Nations. Canada is a Commonwealth country, not a USA province.
This sounds like a "you problem" rather than a "them problem".

Quote:
The USA has held a position of power by virtue of having Canada stand side by side with the USA, but somewhere along the way the USA got it wrong and has insulted Canada for the last 4 years. Can the USA do better to retain a relevant position in world politics, or is the USA a stand alone goof? The global community is fed up with me-me-me too dishonesty.
Yeah, let's permit the anomalous rule of the orange fool to define our relationship with the United States. That's a great idea.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:12 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

The interesting thing about your Ukrainian comment is that I'm of the generation where we all called each other names, French, Mennonites, Ukrainians and it was never seen as racism or even meant as racism. Sometimes I wonder if I imagined that and then I remember Hunky Bill. Then I wasn't sure I remembered what I thought I remembered about Hunky Bill, native son of Manitoba, and so I Googled him https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5246712
I remember this as well. Not sure if it was better but it was sure different. And not necessarily less "tense" than today.

And you could easily have a friend that you'd always tease about their origins, and yet be willing to risk your life for them by walking through a raging fire to pull them out of harm.

This is and was pretty common for our generation.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Race is not the same as culture, language, religion, nationality or ethnicity, though. People so often make that mistake these days.
True. But the impulse behind Polish jokes or Ukrainian jokes can be the same as whatever drives racism.

ETA: it's good to see you maclock. Hopefully you've been well.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I remember this as well. Not sure if it was better but it was sure different. And not necessarily less "tense" than today.

And you could easily have a friend that you'd always tease about their origins, and yet be willing to risk your life for them by walking through a raging fire to pull them out of harm.

This is and was pretty common for our generation.
True. What was the point of a hockey game if you couldn't call the opposing team the swear words in another language that they themselves had taught you at a Manitoba social?

I think, though, that almost everyone recognized when something was meant in a funny way and when it was meant in a malicious way. And when it had gone too far, the way someone might tickle you and for the first seconds it's funny, and after that it's intended to make you cry.

And I think when teasing was done among equals there was also a difference between that and 3 people picking on another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada