Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I almost burst into laughs when I see "trudeau units" as if Canada is the only weird country that uses the metric system. Why not "Hollande units" or "Cameron units" or "Abe units"?

And it is from some American prodigy who attended law schools at the age of 21.
I think he was being sarcastic but in doing so, he's being a million times more silly than Canada is silly (and therefore the object of his mockery) for using the Metric system.

If there is anything silly about Canada's approach to weights and measures, it's that we still haven't fully implemented Metric in all aspects of life, and that imperial measures still linger and dominate in so many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 AM

14,396 posts, read 11,819,547 times
Quote:
of course not, but that doesn't prevent many people who live in NJ to claim they are from New York when their permanent address apparently shows a different state.
Oh, okay. The New York metro area does include parts of New Jersey as well as other states, so those people are not necessarily lying.

I don't live in Los Angeles, not even in the same county, but officially I am in the "greater Los Angeles metro area."

I don't expect anyone who doesn't live here to have heard of my little town. If I'm in Michigan or Idaho (or Canada) and someone asks where I'm from, I may say "Los Angeles" just because it's easier and I know it's a place they've heard of. Of course, I know I don't actually live in Los Angeles proper.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,589,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Ill-informed, misguided, non-factual, unsupportable...need I go on?
Suit yourself.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just pointing out that an opinion, by definition, cannot be right or wrong.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 AM

35,324 posts, read 17,223,966 times
Quote:
I almost burst into laughs when I see "trudeau units" as if Canada is the only weird country that uses the metric system. Why not "Hollande units" or "Cameron units" or "Abe units"?

And it is from some American prodigy who attended law schools at the age of 21.
For the record that was my colleague. I graduated at 25.

As far as "Trudeau Units" my position is not laughable. Canada is definitely a separate country but there is no doubt about it is physically joined to the U.S. over the longest peaceful and inhabited border in the world. Having different measure system is more a recipe for chaos than anything else. Just because Old World countries do something doesn't mean that the New World countries should join.

And there was no response to my statement about winter, only about my nomenclature.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:46 AM

35,324 posts, read 17,223,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, okay. The New York metro area does include parts of New Jersey as well as other states, so those people are not necessarily lying.
Operationally the New York Metroplitan

Revised Delineations of Metropolitan Statistical Areas, Micropolitan Statistical Areas, and Combined Statistical Areas, and Guidance on Uses of the Delineations of These Areas published by the Office of Management and Budget (link) defines an area consisting of "New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ -PA." Other definitions on a real estate site (link) defines the area as including all of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania as the relevant area. I personally consider the area as being northern and central New Jersey down to New Brunswick and Morristown on the south and southwest, north to Westchester and Rockland counties (and increasingly Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia and Orange counties) and Connecticut's Fairfield County. All of these areas have a majority or plurality of people that work in New York City or firms with strong New York City connections. Significantly, Newark's Liberty Airport handles much of New York City's air travel.

So I agree that parts of other states really have to be considered part of the New York area.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

As far as "Trudeau Units" my position is not laughable. Canada is definitely a separate country but there is no doubt about it is physically joined to the U.S. over the longest peaceful and inhabited border in the world. Having different measure system is more a recipe for chaos than anything else. Just because Old World countries do something doesn't mean that the New World countries should join.

And there was no response to my statement about winter, only about my nomenclature.

This sounds a lot like American exceptionalism. The U.S. is not another planet - it's on the same planet as the rest of us. And there is more to the world than just the U.S.

And BTW, the U.S. is slowly and subtly moving to Metric in more ways than the anti-Metric crowd down there realize.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,761,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Weird argument. Are Australia, New Zealand and the entire South America old world to you?

I know Canada excessively relies on the US, which is the worst thing about Canada IMO. We should do more business with other countries. And I am glad I don't have to use the inches and pounds any more - which does sound backwaterish for me.

You still displays this "If the US is doing, others should follow" mentality. There are many aspects of the US that's not appealing and others simply don't want to follow.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 AM

854 posts, read 587,983 times
No.

To be honest, the only Americans who know anything about countries outside of the US are exceptional in many respects. Even to be well-travelled as an American makes you exceptional, given that only 1/3rd of Americans even own a passport. And that is the way it should be, with regards to Canada. Anything less than that I find... vaguely threatening. I really don't want the average American knowing too much about us tbh.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,761,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

If there is anything silly about Canada's approach to weights and measures, it's that we still haven't fully implemented Metric in all aspects of life, and that imperial measures still linger and dominate in so many places.
yes, I hate and am puzzled when people keep using pounds and square feet in many situations. Can't we just put an end to it?

At least nobody is using Fahrenheit, which is a big relief. Maybe I should call that "Obama degrees"?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,628,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I know plenty about Canada, I just know very little about their politics and from what I know about my fellow Americans here in the Northeast, this is extent of most of our ignorance.

I would also add that, judging by this board, many Canadians are incredibly ignorant about the US. In my almost 50 years, I have never met a single bible thumper.
There is of course ignorance on both sides, but the ignorance is different in my experience.

Some Canadians might not know the inner workings of your political process, or which state borders which state, they do know a lot about you through media, and the fact that most Canadians have travelled to the US. Not too mention over generalizations about certain aspects of US society.

However, we know you have electricity, we know you have cars, roads, malls, airports etc. Having Americans
( and I can pretty much guarantee most Canadians can tell some sort of story ) ask you

" Do you have airports in Canada " "beaches? But you live in Canada?" " Canada? That's that state just above Minnesota isn't it? "

All of the above I have experienced.

Now this of course does not mean ALL Americans. I have met Americans who know more about the world and Canada than I do. It's jus the extreme stories that seem to stick around.

I do think though, that with the internet, things are getting " better ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada