Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Well, it doesn't follow protocols of naming airports after Prime Ministers. They're supposed to be dead first aren't they?

Yes. I believe it's actually an international UNESCO standard that you only name stuff after people once they are dead. But it's not always followed in Canada. I believe in Canada only Quebec really follows the UNESCO standard rigidly.

As for Calgary's airport, if it's named for anyone my guess is it will be named for Ralph Klein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM

2,520 posts, read 3,066,847 times
Can't they name it after Patrice Brisebois?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Can't they name it after Patrice Brisebois?
You seem to have this thing about Patrice Brisebois... we still see him all the time as he's now a TV commentator.

He seems like a nice guy. I always found the fans were a bit harsh on him.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,286,876 times
Hopefully they will have to wait a long period of time if naming is after a person after they have died but the Lanny MacDonald International Airport would be a nicer name. My favourite would be the Calgary International Airport.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes. I believe it's actually an international UNESCO standard that you only name stuff after people once they are dead. But it's not always followed in Canada. I believe in Canada only Quebec really follows the UNESCO standard rigidly.

As for Calgary's airport, if it's named for anyone my guess is it will be named for Ralph Klein.
I've never heard of this standard. Do you have a link? You're not thinking of World Heritage designations are you?

Also, why would Quebec be the only one in Canada to follow such a standard and not the ROC?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Somebody wants to rename YYC

Renaming Calgary airport after Stephen Harper

I dunno, it has a lot of baggage, showing up at Gate C-51 would be awkward, and a plane can't take off when it only has a right wing.

Think it would fly?

Sorry about the bad puns.
Bad puns are like candy to me

I think naming an airport, or anything except a city dump, is a horrible idea.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never heard of this standard. Do you have a link? You're not thinking of World Heritage designations are you?
Not everyone knows the exact organizations and standards (and even I kinda screwed up with the organization) but you've never heard of the (usual, but not air-tight) practice of not naming stuff for people who are still alive? I've known about this since I was a kid.

Here is the UN organization that Quebec refers back to on this:
UNGEGN - United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names

Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Man, George is going to be pissed off when they tell him he's dead...

Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

Of course there's everything named after Elizabeth II, globally as well as any country that has a monarchy will likely have something named after that ruling monarch.

I think you're pulling standards out of places. I know the US Mint won't put anyone on a coin if they're alive, and same with the USPS and stamps, but as far as a UN standard, I don't actually believe that for a minute.

Now that you posted, that's standards for geological naming, and even then, every country has their own standards. That group is just to ensure that everyone is agreed on what it's called, but not on how it's named. That, and they really need some help with their power-points. They suck.

Oh, and I totally second the Ralph Klein International Airport and Bar.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 10-28-2015 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: update

Old 10-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Man, George is going to be pissed off when they tell him he's dead...

Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

Of course there's everything named after Elizabeth II, globally as well as any country that has a monarchy will likely have something named after that ruling monarch.

I think you're pulling standards out of places. I know the US Mint won't put anyone on a coin if they're alive, and same with the USPS and stamps, but as far as a UN standard, I don't actually believe that for a minute.

Oh, and I totally second the Ralph Klein International Airport and Bar.
Well, no one is compelled to follow UN "standards" and of all the western countries the U.S. is the most likely to do whatever the hell it wants. That doesn't mean that UN group I referenced above didn't develop a standard of some kind on this. Even if compliance is voluntary.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Also, why would Quebec be the only one in Canada to follow such a standard and not the ROC?
I have no idea but in Quebec these days it's always said to be verboten to name something for a person who is still alive, and they said it's because of this UN convention that we've adhered to.

That doesn't mean that Quebec doesn't have lots of stuff named for people who are still alive, but these things were likely named before the said convention was arrived at.

As for the difference between Quebec and the ROC, well it's just my observation that in the rest of Canada lots of stuff still gets named for people are alive. I saw in St. John's Newfoundland a fairly new (unless I am mistaken) "Team Gushue Highway" which is named for a curling team that I am pretty sure are all still alive as they are fairly young.

My sense of the reason for this is that in general Canadians tend to be conformity geeks when it comes to going along with "international" conventions and other global stuff, and Quebecers maybe even moreso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada