Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Funny how those thoughts creep into your head from time to time. I suppose it would come as no surprise they increase in frequency the older you get?
I'd be lying if I said what happened to my mom wasn't a reminder of my own mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We need to be ever vigilant to enforce government maintenance of our system.
Agreed - our biggest weakness about the system could be complacency that it will always be there and that is will always be of high quality. These things take work and as you say, maintenance and i'll throw in continuous improvement.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She had a heart attack, it took 5 days to be transferred from one hospital to another, and three years later she still has the same pain but it is clearly not a heart attack.

I have to wonder why, if the 15 pills do not make any difference, is she still taking them?

What would all these hospital and doctors visits cost, and would this care be possible, without National Health Care? Is there some belief that medical doctors in another country would be able to diagnosis the cause of the pain, and, if so, why not consult with one of those foreign doctors?
Its a different pain. All of her unnecessary visits must have cost NHC some money but her pain has still not gone away. I think many doctors game the system by having many unnecessary office visits and tests. My wife needed PT and the wait was 15 months. Not all of Canada lives in large cities like Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Calgary etc where better care is available.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:37 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Its a different pain. All of her unnecessary visits must have cost NHC some money but her pain has still not gone away. I think many doctors game the system by having many unnecessary office visits and tests. My wife needed PT and the wait was 15 months. Not all of Canada lives in large cities like Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Calgary etc where better care is available.
In my province, physical therapy is only paid for by the government if it is done in a hospital setting. Whenever I’ve had physical therapy, I’ve paid for it myself and been partly reimbursed by private insurance. No waiting at all to get appointments.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 PM

207 posts, read 748,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Total cost isn't "$0.00", there's big time taxes paying for all of that medical infrastructure. You yourself pay taxes that support the healthcare system. None of it is free.

Many Canadians also carry Blue Cross, SunLife, employer's medical/dental benefits, etc., so if Canada's health care system is so lavish and so generous, why would carrying private insurance even be necessary in this country?

I got a small wrist fracture a year ago after falling, and also needed four stitches to my chin. Total wait time in the hospital after arriving in the ER: 12 freaking hours. Got there at 2pm in the afternoon, left at 2am. Yay Canada... oh, but I was sent a bill for the ambulance ride in record time. Ambulance trips are paid out of pocket... Next time I'll save money and insist on taking a taxi, if I'm not unconscious.

What you said explained everything

Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In all honesty I can't speak to the system in rural areas because I don't nor do my family live in those areas. Most Canadians live in large cities. It isn't to say we shouldn't care about care in smaller/rural communities but i'm not just blindly a part of the Canadian Healthcare Defense league. I have had numerous and intimate encounters with the system seeing both my parents through life threatening cancer surgeries and I can say, when it counts it has been there for them - 100%. I have also had good personal experiences as well. That is something you can't take away from me and my family, nor can I take away your experiences with yours. That said, don't be so dismissive of those who actually have had positive experiences with it. People wouldn't be so open to sharing them like I did if our system failed them. If you think about that, i'll think about your experiences and I wish your mother in law well!
Exactly.

I've posted many time the experiences I've had with our system regarding my mother and a friend who had cancer.

All positive, with good outcomes. I can't imagine having to manipulate through insurance companies etc, especially for the amount of care my mother has gotten.

For the record

Both hips replaced.
Brain Tumour
Breast cancer in both breasts
Kidney cancer ( her latest)
Cataract surgery in both eyes
Homecare

I'm probably forgetting some, but in each and every case I have had nothing but good to say.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly.

I've posted many time the experiences I've had with our system regarding my mother and a friend who had cancer.

All positive, with good outcomes. I can't imagine having to manipulate through insurance companies etc, especially for the amount of care my mother has gotten.

For the record

Both hips replaced.
Brain Tumour
Breast cancer in both breasts
Kidney cancer ( her latest)
Cataract surgery in both eyes
Homecare

I'm probably forgetting some, but in each and every case I have had nothing but good to say.
Great to hear Nat! I she is doing well considering the above. One thing I NEVER thought of before my mom got sick was how important homecare is! It makes a huge difference. I'm surprised people are on waitlists for homecare - once mom was released from Hospital there was practically an army of homecare providers coming to the house. It was really difficult to manage and coordinate from a scheduling p.o.v actually but in retrospect - the homecare aspect was instrumental in her recovery.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Great to hear Nat! I she is doing well considering the above. One thing I NEVER thought of before my mom got sick was how important homecare is! It makes a huge difference. I'm surprised people are on waitlists for homecare - once mom was released from Hospital there was practically an army of homecare providers coming to the house. It was really difficult to manage and coordinate from a scheduling p.o.v actually but in retrospect - the homecare aspect was instrumental in her recovery.
Thanks. Glad you mum is doing better.

Yes, an army LOL When it first started...the physio person with a set of exercises and also making sure the wheelchair cushion was correct for her, the person making sure bars, handles, etc where installed properly.
The 4 that come every day to assist her in eating and bathing, plus of course company.

Then every 3 months a person comes in to check any medication issues and makes sure everything seems up to par, or if there are any complaints.

There is a charge for all this, but it's minimal really.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Glad you mum is doing better.

Yes, an army LOL When it first started...the physio person with a set of exercises and also making sure the wheelchair cushion was correct for her, the person making sure bars, handles, etc where installed properly.
The 4 that come every day to assist her in eating and bathing, plus of course company.

Then every 3 months a person comes in to check any medication issues and makes sure everything seems up to par, or if there are any complaints.

There is a charge for all this, but it's minimal really.
- the company part Is big.. If your mom is anything like mine she loves to talk

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
- the company part Is big.. If your mom is anything like mine she loves to talk

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...
Yes she loves to talk, but lately her mind is drifting to the past. She is not bonkers yet, but she does say some odd things.

The other day she stated " Mama hasn't phoned me in a long time ". I wasn't sure how to handle that, so I just went for the truth and explained her mother had passed away 8 years ago.

That story has now changed to " Mama drove to Quebec and died ". Ok, I let that one go

Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yes she loves to talk, but lately her mind is drifting to the past. She is not bonkers yet, but she does say some odd things.

The other day she stated " Mama hasn't phoned me in a long time ". I wasn't sure how to handle that, so I just went for the truth and explained her mother had passed away 8 years ago.

That story has now changed to " Mama drove to Quebec and died ". Ok, I let that one go
Yeah my mom also drifts away at times. The other day when we were driving to a DR's appointment she said is the 'oven' on. I said, mom we're in the car and no it isn't the car heater isn't on either - it is the sun beaming down on you. She also mimics some of the actions of people on TV. Nothing crazy but if a news commentator is nodding her head she'll do the same. I think it is a combination of meds and the fact that she went a long time in a delirious state. Its hard to completely recover from all that stuff, especially the older one gets. Sometimes it can be funny but it is a bit jarring as well though i'm obviously still glad she is here and i'll take all the time I can get. I'm pretty sure it is the same with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada