Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I tend to share the view that generally these things will work themselves out naturally, though I am probably not as unquestionably convinced of it as some people on here.

I mean, most immigrants and their descendants have ended up ''coming along'' over the past century. Of course there have been a few exceptions along the way.

Each wave of immigration (counting refugees as immigrants here for the sake of the discussion) is unique in its composition and in its moment in time.

It could very well be that certain waves that we are seeing today end up being an exception that will confirm the rule, and that large numbers of them start challenging Canada's shared values system.

I doubt that that is going to happen over the medium to long term, but when I see stuff like the protests against Ontario sex ed at schools like Thorncliffe Park in Toronto, let's just say I am not willing to claim victory just yet.

It's a good thing to keep an eye on.
I agree with your comment Acajack. Weren't some of the French attackers born in France, a democratic country? Weren't the two terrorist attacks committed here in Canada last year carried out by Canadian born muslim terrorist? Definitely something to keep an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXYRwhpSzE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Some people will jump on anything that is different in others - if it isn't Muslim extremism, it would be something else. When Mennonites came, their pacifism was used against them in the editorials of the day.
I agree that there are people who resent anything or anyone different from them and/or what they're used to. But isn't Muslim extremism a legitimate concern (I'm talking in in general terms, not in relation to Syrian refugees? Or, are you saying that xenophobes will use any excuse, be it "Muslim extremism" or another community's pacifism, to justify their bigotry? THAT I agree with.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-24-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree that there are people who resent anything or anyone different from them and/or what they're used to. But isn't Muslim extremism a legitimate concern (I'm talking in in general terms, not in relation to Syrian refugees? Or, are you saying that xenophobes will use any excuse, be it "Muslim extremism" or another community's pacifism, to justify their bigotry? THAT I agree with.
Your second line.

I have a number of conflicting ideas about Muslim extremists. I think my thoughts are more focused on the tinderbox I believe that region to be, than Islam in particular.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Irony is a part of human life.

It's highly plausible that a fairly sizeable portion of the refugees are followers of Islam in certain ways which are incompatible with Canadian societal values (and maybe even laws in some cases), and don't really see a link between these beliefs and the violence that is tearing apart their country of origin.

That too is ironic.
I think you have to look at the environment they are coming from which reinforces incompatibility with a more liberal and open minded view.. They are forced to be in the closet so to speak. Give them an environment where you let them know the closet door can be opened.. Environment has a way of shaping things.. I know plenty of muslims who are no more or no less conservative than multigenerational white bread anglos.

We also have to look at the fact that these individuals are going to be in shell shock for years adapting to society in Canada. Although my partner isn't a muslim, I do have personal experience living with someone who has had challenges adapting to life here. Sure its a safe and secure environment but it doesn't mean it won't be hard. They're going to be very busy trying to make a new life. I think they will find a new harmony between their ways and the ways of their new home and I don't think that is always a dangerous mix - often I think it is a beautiful one but yes, sometimes its a volatile mix.. With that said, should we all stop flying because every once and awhile a plane crashes.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-24-2015 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
there are other issues, canada is a country that values gender equality and supports gay marriage. how are you gonna deal with people who come here and want to teach their children that women are second class citizens and being gay is wrong and should be illegal, all because its part of their religious and cultural believes.
We've been a country of immigrants and refugees now for many decades. If you look at those decades people have increasingly embraced equality so I don't think 25000 Syrians refugees or continued policies of admitting 250K immigrants/refugees per year will derail human rights in our land. I think we have a stronger foundation than that. I think by the time there would be a dent people start to embrace the environment they live in and respect difference by and large.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:55 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that actually makes sense. It is not like we have a deadline to meet. Doing it right is more important than rushing to fulfill timeline of a promise.

Can we accept single straight males now? I hope so. Discrimination based on sexual oriential (or marital status) is not legal in Canada, I thought.
Why does it bother you so much to not accept straight males? What happened to women and children first?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:07 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Of the 25,000 refugees arriving before the end of February, 10,000 will be privately sponsored. Single men who are privately sponsored will not face restrictions.

Refugees deadline pushed to February; emphasis on families, vulnerable women, LGBT | CTV News

My guess is that many of those who are being privately sponsored have been in the pipeline for a while, and there has been a lot more time for the vetting process.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
How do you sleep at night? This is the kind of extreme right wing thinking that has no place in Canada.
WTF? I am a progressive leftist.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 PM

196 posts, read 216,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Then bring in Mexican people or Philipinos. None of what you say addresses that Muslims are not as valuable immigrants groups as someone like a Mexican who can assimilate without the problems associated with a religion that calls for death to unbelievers and homosexuals. Tell me why are we not immigrating all the refugees that flee to the U.S. from Central America? What makes this group more deserving than all of refugee groups in Africa and South America?

Is there anyone who can make a direct answer instead of beating around the bush?
Because right now there is a dire humanitarian crisis going on with the Syrians. We as a country have decided to answer the call in this time of need. Why not be more selective about immigration? That doesn't address the situation unfolding in the middle east right now -which also happen to coincide with our needs to maintain our population.

In terms of assimilation and integration, we are not Europe. Do you see what's happening in France in Quebec? I very much doubt the children of these immigrants will become intolerant zealots after having grow up in Canada among a hodge podge of various cultures.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Why does it bother you so much to not accept straight males? What happened to women and children first?
because it is based on discrimination.
We are not allowed to discriminate women, but men's lives are not worth less either.

Women first is so 19 century chivalry. You can't demand gender equality but at the time time ask for women first. It's double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada