Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM

299 posts, read 316,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Interesting. Thanks for responding. Some of your issues or concerns or whatever you want to call them may be specific to Toronto. I'm in rural Manitoba and we have had a large influx of both Russian and Russian-German immigrants through the provincial programme over the last 15 or so years. Many find their way to our house for various reasons. I would have to say that the majority seem to be very happy and find it much like Russia. They never complain about the weather.

But I have found many to be very racist and that's one of the things they learn not to be.
Maybe it is Toronto, I haven't really been else where in Canada so I can't judge, I've heard people from Newfoundland are super friendly.

And yes, majority of Eastern Europeans are racists and anti Semites unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 05:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
EuropeanAnna, I read your very first post on the board from when you first registered as a member. So reading about your social problems gave me a better idea of where you're coming from. You aren't the first single newbie to Canada that has had the same complaints and posted about it on City Data. I think there may be many single adventure and mate seekers who, because of the two countries' proximity to each other, come to Canada expecting the people will naturally be aggressive, loud, exciting, exuberant, flamboyant, very outgoing and entertaining like what they hear or know about people in USA. Then they're disappointed and bored stiff when they realize Canada is not all party hearty like USA and kicking themselves in the butt because they didn't do enough research about what Canada is really like before they came.

On the other hand, I've never seen any complaints from families with children who come to Canada. At least not yet. I think that's because they do a lot more research about the country before they come because they're thinking of their children's futures, they're not in party mode looking for social excitement and entertainment. Certainly socializing is important to them but they're looking for a culture that has a reputation for offering much more important things, like being a safe haven where there's peace and quiet, safety, stability, reservedness, politeness, respectfulness, tolerance for them and their children. And more of other things that singles just don't have to care about because they don't have family responsibilities weighing on them.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:20 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
Maybe it is Toronto, I haven't really been else where in Canada so I can't judge, I've heard people from Newfoundland are super friendly.

And yes, majority of Eastern Europeans are racists and anti Semites unfortunately.
But, I will reiterate a point I made a while ago, and that is that the first generation comes with a history and that's to be expected. To be a Canadian to me, and others around me, means that you obey the laws of this country, but not that you have to give up your culture. There are many older Canadians who barely speak English, not that I am recommending that, but the history of immigration to the Canadian west was in bloc settlements by ethnicity. That allowed people to retain their culture and language to a very great degree. And some groups, like my people, Russian Mennonites, had a 'privilegium' similar to what they received when they first came to the Russian Empire at the invitation of Katherine the Great, which promised them schools in their own language.

I hear as much Russian in the stores here as I do German and English.

I know it's difficult sometimes for immigrants to decide where they fit in, especially if their idea of culture is something homogenous but Canada is one of the countries that has made that work fairly well, imo.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
EuropeanAnna, I read your very first post on the board from when you first registered as a member. So reading about your social problems gave me a better idea of where you're coming from. You aren't the first single newbie to Canada that has had the same complaints and posted about it on City Data. I think there may be many single adventure and mate seekers who, because of the two countries' proximity to each other, come to Canada expecting the people will naturally be aggressive, loud, exciting, exuberant, flamboyant, very outgoing and entertaining like what they hear or know about people in USA. Then they're disappointed and bored stiff when they realize Canada is not all party hearty like USA and kicking themselves in the butt because they didn't do enough research about what Canada is really like before they came.

On the other hand, I've never seen any complaints from families with children who come to Canada. At least not yet. I think that's because they do a lot more research about the country before they come because they're thinking of their children's futures, they're not in party mode looking for social excitement and entertainment. Certainly socializing is important to them but they're looking for a culture that has a reputation for offering much more important things, like being a safe haven where there's peace and quiet, safety, stability, reservedness, politeness, respectfulness, tolerance for them and their children. And more of other things that singles just don't have to care about because they don't have family responsibilities weighing on them.

Good post, Zoiste. I haven't read Anna's posts beyond what is on this forum but I do find it helpful to know where people are coming from and what their expectations are.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I definitely agree with this, I should have visited few times and do more research before moving here, my mistake, but it is what it is.

And yes if I was family oriented or about to retire id stay here. Toronto is definitely a great place to have a family and raise kids.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with this, I should have visited few times and do more research before moving here, my mistake, but it is what it is.

And yes if I was family oriented or about to retire id stay here. Toronto is definitely a great place to have a family and raise kids.
I'd suggest to you that if you are able, and since you are here now, you should do some exploring around Canada before you give up on it. Each province is different, and each town and city possesses an individual character and culture of its own. You may yet find that there is a place for you where you fit in and can be content.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

Judging a whole country by one city? Really?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Judging a whole country by one city? Really?

Yes because I've been in Toronto for 2 years now and there are people from all over Canada living here

Old 11-29-2015, 06:47 PM

242 posts, read 242,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyy View Post
Honestly, the whole "hockey" and "beer swigging" part of our supposed Canadian culture has always made me cringe. I don't like hockey, I'd rather attend a Broadway play or the opera instead. I hate Tim Hortons, I don't drink beer, and I don't subscribe to any of the stereotypical Canadian traits. I don't speak with a Canadian accent either, I prefer to sound more American.

I just feel like "Canadiana" gives me a ton of culture cringe
What you have is a common problem in Canada called the inferiority complex of Canada. Suffers are highly sensitive to smallest criticisms and jealous of Americans to the point of being funny but always copy them and then deny it. Sad but true don't kill the messenger!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
What you have is a common problem in Canada called the inferiority complex of Canada. Suffers are highly sensitive to smallest criticisms and jealous of Americans but always copy them and then deny it. Sad but true.
I often get the feeling that there is a group of francophones hoping for their own nation, who somehow think they will get closer to their dream by denigrating the rest of Canada. Another kind of inferiority complex it seems to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada