Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this may be a weird question, but I'm sort of desperate at this point.

Is there anyone around who knows a website that gives basic, RELIABLE information regarding Canadian law? I have an issue regarding criminal law and general jurisdictional issues. (This has to do with Brisitsh Columbia.)

I know, full well, as an "American lawyer" that there are few simple answers, but I'd just like to be able to find a site that gives a run-down, or links to specific laws and court decisions.

I know that I can check google, but I'd like to know if there's a site out there that either people have used or have heard is reliable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Most Canadian federal criminal offences are contained within the Criminal Code of Canada.

Try the following 2 sites:

CanLII

Electronic Frontier Canada -- www.efc.ca

Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM

UGH...here's what I get when I search BC law on the CanII site:
  • British Columbia legislation is not published by CanLII at this time because of the policy of the government to restrict publication of its current unofficial consolidation to a subscription service called...
Figures, right?

All I want to know is the law regarding "the ability of the Crown" to get me to either testify (or, more likely just give a statement), if I'm not a Canadian citizen. I'm, unfortunately, involved with someone who has gotten into trouble, and it's pretty apparent that the RCMP (as the local police in his city) are trying to track me down.

I have no issues with speaking to law enforcement, but I'd just like to know what I'm getting into with it, and what their rights (and mine) are about it.

I'm prepared to be served with papers when I try to come through the border....LOL. I just want to know what happens after that. Just the lawyer in me coming through...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM

41 posts, read 128,317 times
Have you tried "e-Laws"? Don't know if it will help but it has quite a bit of info.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Thanks Rosie. I'll definitely check it out. My friend spoke to his lawyer today, and hopefully he will have some good news for me tonight. Gah, I just hate not knowing what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada