Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 138,721 times

Advertisements

Newfoundland was a colony of the British Empire for most of its history. However, it was a self-governing Dominion from 1907 to 1934, and had responsible government from 1855 to 1934. It was never part of Canada until a close referendum in 1949.

So do Newfoundlanders ever think about leaving Canada? Even if it's not feasible, do people still dream about back when the island was not associated with Ottawa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
Newfoundland was a colony of the British Empire for most of its history. However, it was a self-governing Dominion from 1907 to 1934, and had responsible government from 1855 to 1934. It was never part of Canada until a close referendum in 1949.

So do Newfoundlanders ever think about leaving Canada? Even if it's not feasible, do people still dream about back when the island was not associated with Ottawa?
They do, there's still prominent nationalist and separatist undercurrents in St John's, the city where Confederation was most unpopular, but which was outvoted by the rural areas who resented the status quo built by the St. John's elites. The tricolour flag is flown by nationalists and separatists in Newfoundland rather than the official provincial flag, and there's a history of contentious provincial/federal relations. If there was ever a moment where reconciliation was possible, it'd be now with the Liberals in power after sweeping every Newfloundland riding, with a Liberal provincial government in power to boot. As a Canadian and a federalist, I hope we can make this federation work and a better, more functional rapport will emerge, but if it can't and it comes to it, Newfoundlanders know they have the option of returning to independence as laid out in the Clarity Act and I'd wish them nothing but the best if it came to it. It'd be rough to do though, so many Newfoundlanders have family on the Mainland and interprovincial integration and interdependence has developed in a number of areas. Being part of Canada gives Newfoundland a measure of stability that was tough to achieve with a small population and mostly primary economy. As poor as Newfoundland still is in many communities, it's come a really long way and was very impoverished at Confederation. Becoming a province was by no means all positive and Newfoundland has gotten the short end a few times, but it also benefited in many ways and that's important to consider. Either way, the decision will be up to them.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 12-13-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Interesting article - When Britain took back Newfoundland - looking at the stats, it seems like after Britain rescinded Newfoundland's responsible gov't, they didn't really do a huge amount in improving the island's economic state, and it kind of recovered "naturally."

Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Would the workers in Fort McMurray then need passports to work there?

I cannot see how it would be in their best interest to leave Canada nor would I like to see that happen even though I still have not made it there yet. It is very high on my bucket list though.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Judging by Wikipedia, almost every province of Canada has a separatist movement (but that's how Wikipedia is- if it's to be believed, every single province, state, and territory in the world has a separatist movement just because some guys on the internet got a Facebook group and a flag). But I'm curious if Newfoundland has a distant second one to Quebec. Or if it's Albertan/Western Canadians.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Judging by Wikipedia, almost every province of Canada has a separatist movement (but that's how Wikipedia is- if it's to be believed, every single province, state, and territory in the world has a separatist movement just because some guys on the internet got a Facebook group and a flag). But I'm curious if Newfoundland has a distant second one to Quebec. Or if it's Albertan/Western Canadians.
I think it has to be considered the second-most "serious" independence movement in Canada except for Quebec's.

Newfoundland definitely is culturally distinct and the feeling of apartness from the rest of (Anglo-)Canada is obvious and genuine.

Separatist movements in places like Alberta are more similar to those in places like northern Italy (Padania/Umberto Bossi) where the main issue is: "we want to keep more of our money!" and isn't really anything culture-based. (Even though they sometimes try and spin it that way.)

Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM

And Venice too, right?

Newfoundland is more Irish-ish than Anglo-, right? I've heard the culture is like a mix of Irish and French.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
And Venice too, right?

Newfoundland is more Irish-ish than Anglo-, right? I've heard the culture is like a mix of Irish and French.
In spite of the reputation, Newfoundlanders are actually more English than Irish in origins.

But I think the reason the accent and culture are so Irish-influenced is because the capital and largest city St. John's is much more Irish than the rest of the province. Since a huge chunk of Newfoundland culture originates and radiates from St. John's, it influences the entire province and gives everything the legendary Irish aspect.

As for French, it's there for sure in the history but the influence is probably quite small these days. Almost "recessive" in a sense.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:55 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am looking forward to driving around Newfoundland in late Summer. My research indicates that the Hotels and B&B's that make it into the tour books are quite pricy. Are there any relatively low cost places to stay in the out ports and other small towns?

I have no knowledge or opinion on the politics of Newfoundland or Canada so I have no comment on Separation or not.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
When a province does separate, how many hours do we wait to invade and take it over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada