Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times

Advertisements

I am bracing myself for a Trump presidency, and I swear if that happens, I am fleeing the US. Don;t be surprised if you have millions of US citizens doing the same, if it comes to that...

So I've read over the years that Ontario has many nice cities that are relatively affordable for a family of four, two incomes. Any solid suggestions? We have two boys, one is in college and one is in grade school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM

26,807 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Mod cut.

Note though that Americans do not get to jump ahead of the queue in front of other nationalities for immigration to Canada.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-09-2015 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM

498 posts, read 542,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveMe2015 View Post
I am bracing myself for a Trump presidency, and I swear if that happens, I am fleeing the US. Don;t be surprised if you have millions of US citizens doing the same, if it comes to that...

So I've read over the years that Ontario has many nice cities that are relatively affordable for a family of four, two incomes. Any solid suggestions? We have two boys, one is in college and one is in grade school.

Thanks!

I'm trying to flee Canada, Alberta... because we have a left winged clown running the country in Ottawa and a communist in Alberta. The economy of Canada will disappear in 5 years, why would you want to move here? Do you like the thought of being unemployed ..maybe welfare? What makes you think you can just move to a foreign country..I have a home in AZ yet I'm not allowed to stay there for more than 6 months a year.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
Mod cut.

OP, this is the first place you've got to look: Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Next would be looking for communities based on your professions. Narrowing down cities should only come after that! I also wouldn't narrow the search down to only Ontario, there are great places to live with excellent opportunities in the other provinces as well. Good luck!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-09-2015 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Old 12-10-2015, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
If Trump does win which i find a highly unlikely scenario your efforts at immigration to Canada could take up to 2 years and thats if all goes well.
Also if you are successful in your immigration and do manage to acquire equivalent jobs in Canada the high taxes up here are not going to be to your liking.
What exactly is it that you think Trump is going to do if elected that is so egregious that you are willing to abandon your country?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,437,626 times
To the OP....

Every time that an American posts this type of thread, we Canadians point out what should be obvious......

You cannot simply "move to Canada " it doesn't work that way.

You have to APPLY, and be investigated by the Canadian Government. You must qualify, by virtue of your post secondary degree, plus a minimum of 4 years of directly related working experience in your field of training. OR be a certified trades person in a construction or industrial skilled trade.

In addition, you must have at least one year's worth of saving in the bank , to support yourself when you arrive here, with your employment visa in your hand. Plus pass a medical exam in your own country, at your expense, have a 100 percent clear criminal records check and no outstanding debts or bankruptcies in your past credit history.

You will be competing with hundreds of thousands of other applicants, from all over the world. The only possible advantage that you will have over others is having been educated in English. The scoring system that is applied here requires a minimum score of 67 points, anything lower is tossed in the garbage can. The higher your personal score, the better your chances to be selected. If you score 75, the ones who score 85 will be selected before you are. Consider it the most important job application of your life.

IF you are approved to come to Canada as a Permanent Resident, you will have to live and work here for a minimum of four years, before you can apply to be considered for citizenship. That citizenship application process takes about two years to complete from the date of your application for it. The usual time line....from the first Immigration application being submitted, is about two years. Add the four years as a PR, then another two years to complete the citizenship application process, and you are looking at about 7 to 8 years , to become a citizen of Canada..........and that is if everything goes smoothly.

It's not an easy process, for a very good reason. We want people who are well educated, who want to live here for life, and who value what Canada is.

Jim B.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:24 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,141,867 times
The usual drill from Jim B.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If Trump does win which i find a highly unlikely scenario your efforts at immigration to Canada could take up to 2 years and thats if all goes well.
Also if you are successful in your immigration and do manage to acquire equivalent jobs in Canada the high taxes up here are not going to be to your liking.
What exactly is it that you think Trump is going to do if elected that is so egregious that you are willing to abandon your country?

I thought you would know Canada better than simply throw words like that? You need to be more specific about what kind of taxes are you talking about, and if that refers to income tax, which income brackets. My friends in NY or CA pay essential the same tax rate as I do here in Ontario.

I agree about your comments about Trump. He is very unlikely to be elected (when was such a big mouth dramatic politicians ever elected in US history?), and even if he did, he wouldn't do the stupid things he says. He might be full of sh*t, but he is neither stupid nor insane. He would have a country to run at that time.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:10 PM

213 posts, read 226,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I thought you would know Canada better than simply throw words like that? You need to be more specific about what kind of taxes are you talking about, and if that refers to income tax, which income brackets. My friends in NY or CA pay essential the same tax rate as I do here in Ontario.

Bingo. I've lived in Toronto and live currently in NYC, and the tax burden for someone in a middle bracket is roughly similar in both places. But of course in Canada you get a much higher quality of public services than you do in the US.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,141,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Bingo. I've lived in Toronto and live currently in NYC, and the tax burden for someone in a middle bracket is roughly similar in both places. But of course in Canada you get a much higher quality of public services than you do in the US.
1. While it may be true that you pay as much income tax in NYC as in Toronto, you probably earn more in NYC in this tax bracket, correct?

2. As for the level of public services, are you comparing NYC versus Toronto or the US versus Canada? Because if you compare public services in the US versus Canada, while it may be true that the level of public services is higher in Canada overall, it would also mean that income tax in the rest of the US, other than NYC is also lower than in Canada, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada