Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,304 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I had a DUI in U.S. from 2001 (almost 15 years ago). I have heard mixed stories about people NOT being allowed into the country because they had a DUI. Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Are you driving or flying?

Old 12-10-2015, 04:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
It can get complex and in many cases for an old offense can come down to a judgement call by the border guard you talk to,fortunately they have relaxed the DUI laws over the past few years.However you might want to call the actual border you plan on crossing at and speak with an agent. In the meantime you can research your options=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...ada+with+a+Dui
From what i read you shouldnt have a problem with a 15 yr old DUI however some CBSA agents can be cantankerous .

Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
In Canada, being convicted of driving while drunk is a Criminal Code offence, in all parts of the country.

We view it as a serious offence, not a minor one.

Be aware that the Canadian Border Services Agency has complete access to all US criminal databases, and finding your conviction will only take a few minutes of computer searching. The date of the conviction is not relevant, it is still on your record.

As was said previously, the CBSA officer that you deal with at the point of entry has personal discretion about the decision to admit you, or deny you entry to Canada. Bear in mind that only a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident has a "right to enter Canada " all others are subject to inspection and possible rejection for a wide range of reasons.

Jim B.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Are you driving or flying?
I will be driving in with someone else.Does it make a difference if they are driving vs. me?

I've heard others say there is no question of DUI if you fly in.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Don't go by what you've "heard".

The Canadian customs/border agent will still scan your passport and perhaps ask you those questions of "have you ever been arrested" and what will your answer be with the guy perhaps looking at your DUI on his screen while waiting to see if you answer with veracity or obfuscation.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhazel View Post
Hi,

I had a DUI in U.S. from 2001 (almost 15 years ago). I have heard mixed stories about people NOT being allowed into the country because they had a DUI. Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting?
Where you convicted of the DUI? If not then they will not be able to find out about it.

It's doubtful that the questions will be any more than "Are you here for business or pleasure?" But if in the unlikely event that they bring you into the building and ask you if you have been arrested for any crime, say no!

If for some reason you are prevented from entering, you should just go try another entry point.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
But if in the unlikely event that they bring you into the building and ask you if you have been arrested for any crime, say no!

If for some reason you are prevented from entering, you should just go try another entry point.

Sorry Josh but this is terrible advice. if you get caught lying to a CBSA officer you will be denied entry for sure, as for trying another point of entry? an alert will be given on the border guards computer that you have very recently been denied entry,they'll definitely want to question you vigorously as to why you are now making another attempt to cross the border.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sorry Josh but this is terrible advice. if you get caught lying to a CBSA officer you will be denied entry for sure, as for trying another point of entry? an alert will be given on the border guards computer that you have very recently been denied entry,they'll definitely want to question you vigorously as to why you are now making another attempt to cross the border.

I did exactly what I described when a friend of mine was refused entry while we were trying to get to Montreal. We were stopped at the main port of entry on I-89 in Upstate New York, we were a bachelor party in a panel van so I guess we aroused suspicion. Anyway, we went into the inspections building and were questioned one by one and asked if we had ever been arrested, I said no but one of my friends admitted to a DUI that had occurred more than a decade prior (d'oh!). After a 4 hour ride from Boston, we were denied entry.

This is the kicker. The border inspector (a youngish attractive woman) who interrogated us told us to follow her outside so that she could direct us to the turnaround for us to head back south, as she was gesticulating with her arms of how to turn around, she told us to "try another border crossing". We went back to Alburg, VT and went through the border crossing booth with nary a sideways glance.

FYI to the OP, your passport will not have information such as past DUIs on it. As long as you are not currently wanted by American or international law enforcement you'll be fine.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Here we go again:

The Inspection Experience | ezbordercrossing.com

And sublinked:

Prior Criminal Offenses | ezbordercrossing.com

See that line: "or an alcohol related driving offense" they put that in there so you can be told by someone to just ignore it and lie about it.

QUOTED: "That long forgotten youthful indiscretion, or an alcohol related driving offense, may very well bar entry into either country. Many a hunter or businessman has landed at a Canadian airport, only to be sent back out on the next flight because of a 10 year old drunk driving offense or a Vietnam era civil disobedience conviction. In 2010, Canada denied entry to 6,948 Americans because of prior criminal offenses."

How is it, do you suppose they get access to the database with that information made available to them.........why my goodness, it's by scanning their passports and having just one more keystroke to perform.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-11-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada