Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM

112 posts, read 83,686 times

Advertisements

Heh friends need a clue ...
Would it be not better to study in Britain and gain this wonderful british accent there ? That how does Canadians react to british accent or to east european one really matters a bit i guess ? Right ?

Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijki View Post
Heh friends need a clue ...
Would it be not better to study in Britain and gain this wonderful british accent there ? That how does Canadians react to british accent or to east european one really matters a bit i guess ? Right ?
I think you need to ask yourself the question "Do I want to learn slang and accents or do I want to learn "proper" English that is the official English language?"

Depending on where in Britain a person is, I understand that the Brits use a lot of different slang terms that are like speaking dialects different from proper English. Do you want to learn slang terms and accents that other people in other English speaking places won't understand? I don't think Canadians care about other people's accents because so many different accents already exist everywhere in Canada anyway (because of new immigrants), but English speaking Canadians do care about understanding the English words that are being used.

I think with regard to the English language and people who speak it that ANY accent is not as important as knowing and understanding the vocabulary being used by the speakers. English is spoken in many countries and I think that each one of all those countries have certain uncommon terms and slang words that they use that are not officially "proper English" and which are only spoken as a unique part of the vocabulary of each individual country. Slang terms and slang spellings can cause a lot of confusion for people just starting out to learn a new language.

If I was studying in another country just learning English as a second language I would want to study it in a country where the people speak (and spell) mostly common "proper English" without using a lot of additional uncommon terms and slang words that other English speakers from other countries wouldn't know or understand, and which the learning of will put more burden on me to understand proper English language.

So - while hearing or speaking in an accent might be quaint and desireable, it's not as important to me as understanding the words I'm using and being confident that other English speakers are understanding exactly what I'm saying. I can always learn new slang terms and learn how to speak in different accents at a much later date - AFTER I have mastered the language as it should be properly spoken and written.

Canada is one of the countries I know of where traditional, proper English is spelled and spoken without too much regional slang or unusual terms being used (and not too much lazy spelling and shortcuts) that would confuse a new student of English.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:37 AM

Is it good, to your opinion to practice english this way - watch a interesting movie with english subtitles and then prepare ourself to the discusion and talk about that movie via skype ? Simulate IELTS interview ?

Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM

Have seen about temporary workers program in Canada without a chanse for imigration ... Can some body tell me more about that please ?

As far I know thats some sort of modern temorary slavery program - the workers are living like 5 till 10 person in one small room ,under very bad conditions, getting payd badly , must do extra overtime unpayd work, and may not complain generally , about anything ...ah ! and they have no chanses to become a citizen ! Never !

For how long is that program ? 2 or more years ? What must I pay for that program ? Well if they want no more as 5000 for registration maybe it is something for me ...

Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Have seen about temporary workers program in Canada without a chanse for imigration ... Can some body tell me more about that please ?

Heres the governments website=
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you need to ask yourself the question "Do I want to learn slang and accents or do I want to learn "proper" English that is the official English language?"

Depending on where in Britain a person is, I understand that the Brits use a lot of different slang terms that are like speaking dialects different from proper English. Do you want to learn slang terms and accents that other people in other English speaking places won't understand? I don't think Canadians care about other people's accents because so many different accents already exist everywhere in Canada anyway (because of new immigrants), but English speaking Canadians do care about understanding the English words that are being used.

I think with regard to the English language and people who speak it that ANY accent is not as important as knowing and understanding the vocabulary being used by the speakers. English is spoken in many countries and I think that each one of all those countries have certain uncommon terms and slang words that they use that are not officially "proper English" and which are only spoken as a unique part of the vocabulary of each individual country. Slang terms and slang spellings can cause a lot of confusion for people just starting out to learn a new language.

If I was studying in another country just learning English as a second language I would want to study it in a country where the people speak (and spell) mostly common "proper English" without using a lot of additional uncommon terms and slang words that other English speakers from other countries wouldn't know or understand, and which the learning of will put more burden on me to understand proper English language.

So - while hearing or speaking in an accent might be quaint and desireable, it's not as important to me as understanding the words I'm using and being confident that other English speakers are understanding exactly what I'm saying. I can always learn new slang terms and learn how to speak in different accents at a much later date - AFTER I have mastered the language as it should be properly spoken and written.

Canada is one of the countries I know of where traditional, proper English is spelled and spoken without too much regional slang or unusual terms being used (and not too much lazy spelling and shortcuts) that would confuse a new student of English.

In any event, you can't really formally learn the slang version of any language. Even in the slangiest place in the Anglosphere (which I am not even going to try to identify!) if you take English classes you'll be learning a fairly standard version of English.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
if you take English classes you'll be learning a fairly standard version of English.
It wasn't the English CLASSES that I was thinking of with regard to slang and accent. I was thinking of the locations / environment that the OP would be residing in and the speech habits picked up from other people residing in the same environment.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It wasn't the English CLASSES that I was thinking of with regard to slang and accent. I was thinking of the locations / environment that the OP would be residing in and the speech habits picked up from other people residing in the same environment.

yepp , i agree . we all are like a sponges...

Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 AM

Do englisch Canada or Quebeck have some continental immigrants quotas ? I am trying to get more information to rise up my chances .

Where can I find the lawyers with ukrainian , polish , czech , slovak, german ect. roots, which are working in Canada, and might give me a ( not to expensive ) consultation how safely to pass the whole immigration process as a student ? Any one an Idea ?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Do englisch Canada or Quebeck have some continental immigrants quotas ? I am trying to get more information to rise up my chances .

Where can I find the lawyers with ukrainian , polish , czech , slovak, german ect. roots, which are working in Canada, and might give me a ( not to expensive ) consultation how safely to pass the whole immigration process as a student ? Any one an Idea ?
As mentioned already, there are no quotas based on country of origin. Everyone is evaluated based on a variety of skills. Being white, black or brown, European, from country X, Y or Z are not things people are evaluated on.

So the quota is just a number and counts everyone from everywhere in the world.

For all of Canada the total every year is around 250,000, maybe a bit more. Of that 250,000 there are about 50,000 that go to Quebec. The other 200,000 go to the other provinces, mostly Ontario, BC and Alberta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada