Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:26 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It wasn't the English CLASSES that I was thinking of with regard to slang and accent. I was thinking of the locations / environment that the OP would be residing in and the speech habits picked up from other people residing in the same environment.

Yes, I can appreciate that but I still think that the classroom language level will trump anything on the streets.

I think the only situation where someone would be highly influnced by slang and become a slang speaker would be if they didn't attend any classes and went straight to work with, say, Cockney guys unloading lorries somewhere in London. And learned all of their English from them.

Speaking from experience, slang and such are much bigger factors here with French in Quebec and I'd say that by and large people who take French classes offered by the Quebec government don't really end up speaking a subpar French. They'll learn colloquial expressions for sure on the streets (and even in class as it's an important part of socialization).

But they certainly don't emerge as speakers of "joual" (the name for low-brow slangy Quebec French).

As I said, a guy who didn't speak a word of French and went to work immediately with a bunch of Québécois blue collar guys in Montreal on a loading dock and took no formal French classes would likely learn primarily joual, and those French language skills would be difficult to apply to an office setting (even in Quebec) or at a vernissage in Paris...

Old 12-22-2015, 01:45 PM

112 posts, read 83,667 times
I like to learn the languages not in the shool but in real world , its just cool

Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijki View Post
I like to learn the languages not in the shool but in real world , its just cool
It may be more cool but is it more useful?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 AM

Do anyone here knows somebody who graduated as an Health Care Assistant, Elderly Caregiver, Nursing Assistant ,or similar , who is an international student and could tell me more details about real world opportunities, for people with such a occupation, in getting a permanent resident status in canada ? After 1 year college program, in any State of Canada ... Thank you very much !

Old 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM

What about Sascatchewan , is it thruth that there are many germans ? Do they speak german there ?

Old 12-24-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
What about Sascatchewan , is it thruth that there are many germans ? Do they speak german there ?
I wouldn't get too excited about bratwurst, beer steins, blonde girls in cleavage-peeking Oktoberfest costumes, etc. in Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan is a big ethnic mix and yes there are a lot of people of German origin there but it's very predominantly English-speaking and Canadian/North American in culture now.

Country music, pickup trucks, ice hockey, Canadian football (similar to American football), curling, etc.

Saskatchewan also has a fairly significant Ukrainian cultural component. It shares this trait with Manitoba and Alberta as well.

But as for language, there really isn't anywhere in any Canadian province where the main societal language is anything other than English or French. Even though Canadians speak many languages of course, but the language of the police, courts, school system, government, businesses, etc. will almost always be English or French.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM

Acajack thanks .
But I hope that, at least on theyr folks party's, they speak in own ancient tongues ? Not ? Ukrainians, Germans, Aborigens ...

Old 12-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Acajack thanks .
But I hope that, at least on theyr folks party's, they speak in own ancient tongues ? Not ? Ukrainians, Germans, Aborigens ...
Some do, some don't. Most of them speak English with their families now. Most don't really know how to speak German, Ukrainian, etc. anymore.

They have been in Canada for 100 years or more in many cases.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:24 AM

To get a chance, for maybe become an permanent resident, in the future , one potential newcomer , like me , must spend about 35000 for 2 years college programm + 6000 for the lawyers assistance, and 24 000 for living and accommodation . Makes 65 000 .

Average salary in Ukraine is 2000 a year ...

Canadians must no have a fear about newcomers from Ukraine, by this student immigration rules, at all . Usually only kids of richis, like chinees communist funktioniers, can afford that ...

Old 12-25-2015, 08:08 AM

Well https://youtu.be/nbX6C_B_1U4 i see that Canada dont needs workers, actually , so probably the government just uses international students for bringing money inside the country such as study fees , lawyes fees , money for accomodation ect. and after graduation the system emits them as used handkerchiefs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada