Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,444,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Not necesarilly, IMO. Many Canadians do not want to be mistaken for Americans when they travel. When I lived in Australia I found people there would always ask if I was Canadian first before American. Perhaps they got used to Canadians getting annoyed at the question. I have a maple leaf flag on my suitcase to help differentiate mine from the dozens of other black suitcases.
Well I guess I travel a little differently from most on this board. When I am in another country I try my best to blend in with the locals, try to learn as much of the basic language as possible to function and would never be caught dead with a flag hanging from anywhere.

For example when my wife and I are in Barcelona, we make sure to dress like the locals, learn basic Catalan and we blend in perfectly, so much so that when we sit down for a meal they always bring us a menu in Catalan. Now there is a neighborhood in Barcelona named El Raval that is in my opinion has the best collection of local dive restaurants in the city, this is also an area that many tourists have wondered into at night and been mugged and attacked. We walk around there freely and everyone thinks we are locals so we sit down and eat great, while all those Flag wearing tourists are stuck eating in La Rambla in all the tourist traps. I prefer not to be a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I agree that in general Canadians are much more progressive than Americans. They care more about the welfare of their fellow citizens.
You know what I think? I think that people are inherently selfish and there is no difference between Canadians and Americans in that regard.

I also find reading the study released by the Fraser Institute each year where they compare charitable donations each year between both nations. Every year Canadians pale in comparison to Americans when it comes to Charitable giving (Manitoba rated as Canada’s most generous province but data shows Americans are far more generous)

Now do I think that Americans "care" more about the welfare of others in comparison to Canadians? Well as you see about I believe all humans are selfish to a certain extent. I just wanted to note that your statement is absolutely incorrect and unfair.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,307,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
I also find reading the study released by the Fraser Institute each year where they compare charitable donations each year between both nations. Every year Canadians pale in comparison to Americans when it comes to Charitable giving (Manitoba rated as Canada’s most generous province but data shows Americans are far more generous)

Now do I think that Americans "care" more about the welfare of others in comparison to Canadians? Well as you see about I believe all humans are selfish to a certain extent. I just wanted to note that your statement is absolutely incorrect and unfair.
How is it unfair? In the 1960s the citizens of Canada made the decision to take care of every Canadian. Americans are still talking about their "boot straps."

Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM

482 posts, read 2,410,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I was just asked if I've ever seen a moose in Toronto! Gasp!

Not necesarilly, IMO. Many Canadians do not want to be mistaken for Americans when they travel. When I lived in Australia I found people there would always ask if I was Canadian first before American. Perhaps they got used to Canadians getting annoyed at the question. I have a maple leaf flag on my suitcase to help differentiate mine from the dozens of other black suitcases.
At least in South America, they specifically tell Canadians to tear off those backpack flags so that they are not targeted by every pickpocket within a 10 block radius.

Putting a Canadian flag on a backpack is just asking for trouble as far as I am concerned. Why advertise that you're from a richer country? Not very street smart, IMHO...

Old 06-07-2009, 04:18 PM

858 posts, read 2,228,189 times
In 2006, I went to Switzerland and my friend there said that pretend you're Canadian, so locals won't think you're an obnoxious American electing Bush for the second time. I was a little embarrassed to go aboard because my President was a monkey.

I just came back from Canada, and I liked Canada so much that I bought a pin of a Canadian flag and pinned it to my bag. I was that proud of Canada. I also got a pin of Obama in red/white/blue colors and pinned it to my bag as well. I noticed several souvenir shops carry Obama t-shirts and pins. So, this is a good sign.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
minibrings:

No offense, but I think he felt that, flag out of the back pocket was boorish.

Flag on the suitcase I can agree with.
ohhh back pocket.. you're right.. that is odd..
on a suitcase it works help me figure out which one is mine.. though if on an air Canada flight it will be a little more difficult as there are tons of bags with maple leaf flags!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:12 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
At least in South America, they specifically tell Canadians to tear off those backpack flags so that they are not targeted by every pickpocket within a 10 block radius.

Putting a Canadian flag on a backpack is just asking for trouble as far as I am concerned. Why advertise that you're from a richer country? Not very street smart, IMHO...
There is a difference between travelling in Europe and South America. I personally do not put any flag on my backpack and on my body. I've travelled well enough to know how to dress when walking around cities. On my suitcase - there is one to help me find it at baggage from the other black suitcases as I travel from the airport to my hotel in a taxi anyway. I do not walk around cities lugging my suitcase.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
How is it unfair? In the 1960s the citizens of Canada made the decision to take care of every Canadian. Americans are still talking about their "boot straps."
The citizens of Canada brought about this legislation? I think you need to go back and read a bit more on how single payer was enacted in Canada.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,307,373 times
Quote:
The citizens of Canada brought about this legislation? I think you need to go back and read a bit more on how single payer was enacted in Canada.
Do a little research on Tommy Douglass and you will see what the Canadians think of him.

I have a feeling this thread is going to get locked. I think they're tired of Americans bickering about health care.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Do a little research on Tommy Douglass and you will see what the Canadians think of him.

I have a feeling this thread is going to get locked. I think they're tired of Americans bickering about health care.
I know who Tommy Douglas is and yes he was a beloved politician and Canadian. I still do not see how supporting a politician means that the Canadian people made a decision to establish Universal Health Care. This was a piece of legislation that was fought out between politicians and special interest groups like any other throughout the world. The general public did not have an opportunity to make any decision.

Finally, I am not American just to clear that up.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-08-2009 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: personal attack removed

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Well I guess I travel a little differently from most on this board. When I am in another country I try my best to blend in with the locals, try to learn as much of the basic language as possible to function and would never be caught dead with a flag hanging from anywhere.
I do the exact same thing, and actually avoid the flag-on-the-backpack crowd like the plague. Although I do hope they’ll continue to sport the flags: it makes it easier to spot them and run the other way!

When I am abroad I always try and learn the everyday basics (yes, no, please, thank you, where is, how much, etc.) of the local language as well, in addition to "I am sorry, do you speak French or English?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada