Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,530 times

Advertisements

I think it was John Diefenbaker who said that he wasn't anti-American. Just very pro-Canadian.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
I've observed a couple of things as an American living in Canada. Here are soe thoughts based on my experiences here (all generalizations and probably apply to only a small number of people)...
  • Canadians want to feel equal to Americans
  • Americans don't really care about Canadians
  • Many Canadians disagree with American politics
  • Many Canadians disagree with Canadian politics
  • Canadians like to visit the US
  • Only a few Americans have made the trip up here
  • When the US dollar was strong, Americans could take a cheap trip up here
  • Now that the US dollar is weak, there is little reason for an American to visit Canada
  • Almost all Canadians know the exchange rate between the USD and CAD
  • A very small number of Americans know, or care, how the Canadian dollar exchanges
In the end, I think Canadians wish they were more recognized by Americans. Without knowing for sure, I suspect Mexicans wish the same

Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 PM

14 posts, read 70,085 times
This is interesting and depends on where you live and who you know. We live approx. 6 hours (depending on traffic) from the Canadian border. In our state there were not many problems between the two nations and a lot of traffic back and forth. It was nothing (until recently) for people to spend the day shopping over the border.

I married a man from Ontario. I can tell you that there are no diferences in a man from Canada and one from the states! *grins* He's opinionated, tries to be bossy and hides the remote... So well he's asking us where it is. ROFL He's not fond of our politicians, but he's no fonder of the ones in Canada either. As for hockey, don't bother asking him as he despises all sports... He likes his computers, adores his famliy (including the animals), and wants a safe, secure home for us all. Sounds like any man from anywhere to me.

He says "It's no different here than it is in Canada, people are people."

Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
As an American, I wish our country would look more to Canada on some of the things that they do better than us. I think of Canada has a more level-headed and compassionate country. They don't have the stress of being a Super Power and are able to use more energy and resources taking care of their own. I like that. My Canadian work colleagues have more vacation, better maternity, access to good and free healthcare, money to spend to travel and more time to travel and seem to be an educated bunch. They don't have near the population we do but seem to be willing to pay their taxes to better everyone in their society. They have a sense of security that we don't. I think much of that has to do with their healthcare system. In my eyes, Canada is a gentle giant North of us. They have the ability to like us and our country, while at the same time, disagree with our politics. That's something we could learn from.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
I've observed a couple of things as an American living in Canada. Here are soe thoughts based on my experiences here (all generalizations and probably apply to only a small number of people)...
You very eloquently wrote what I was trying to suggest in my previous post. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk View Post
I think it was John Diefenbaker who said that he wasn't anti-American. Just very pro-Canadian.
John Diefendbaker was definitely anti-Ontario though.

He killed the prosperous (private owned?) AVRO company that directly employed tens of thousands of Ontario residents,
which used to indirectly boost the economy for at least a few hundred thousand other Ontario residents.

His famous reasoning was "How does the AVRO company near Toronto benefit Saskatchewan wheat-farmers?"

About as retarded as the U.S.A. outlawing Hollywood-movies because they don't benefit Iowa corn-farmers.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
Quote:
  • Now that the US dollar is weak, there is little reason for an American to visit Canada
  • A very small number of Americans know, or care, how the Canadian dollar exchanges
In the end, I think Canadians wish they were more recognized by Americans. Without knowing for sure, I suspect Mexicans wish the same

America is a self-centered country. I know that a dollar is equal to a CAD, I know about Canadian politics, I've visited Canada, but I am one of a few.

I would VERY MUCH agree. We are blind. It is time we open our eyes.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
America is a self-centered country. I know that a dollar is equal to a CAD, I know about Canadian politics, I've visited Canada, but I am one of a few.

I would VERY MUCH agree. We are blind. It is time we open our eyes.
Don't misread my post. There is nothing wrong with American's being "blind" to other countries, including Canada. Sure, keeping up with world events make you a more well rounded person. However, very few significant events happen up here. Since there is little reason for an American to visit Canada, there is really no need to keep up with Canadian currency values, politics, or anything else.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM

32 posts, read 26,391 times
All US Americans that I've met in person have been very nice folks, can't say the same for some that I have met on the internet tho', not all just some....

Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 PM

403 posts, read 1,324,907 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree with most of the American generalizations. Since I'm not Canadian, I can't speak for the generalizations you made about them. Most Americans I know do know the exchange rate between the USD and the CAD, and most would like to, or have been to Canada, and it has nothing to do with cost. But then again, most Americans I know are not ignorant of the world, contrary to popular belief. We can find our own country and even other countries on a map. Gee, I must hang out with a smart crowd . Anyway, I don't view Canada as our attic that we've forgotten existed. It's its own country and I look forward to exploring more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada