Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

I've heard some horror stories about interracial dating and being an interracial couple in Canada that involves a South Asian male with a white female. Now I've heard that white men with women of minority groups are commonly accepted throughout the country and as are back men with white women couples but couples involving South Asian men with white women receive a lot of hatred throughout the country.

I am South Asian (Gujarati) and my fiance is of Danish descent. Used to photograph models for a living and I met my fiance that way. She fits the western beauty ideal, tall blonde and beautiful. Now given the racism towards South Asian males in Canada and how we are generally look down upon throughout Canadian society, I am sure that a couple like my girlfriend and I would probably be unheard of in the country for the most part. I am certain that I will run into a lot of openly racist comments for being with my fiance and people will single us out in many parts of Canada.

Toronto and Vancouver are areas I've heard where racism towards South Asian males is awful on a social level. A lot of people look at South Asian males in disgust and they are the group it is okay to be racist towards.

Are there any places in Canada where my fiance and I would be able to live in peace without having to deal with any harassment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Not sure where you are getting your impressions of rampant racism toward Asians but i can assure you its virtually non existent in Montreal and from my many stays in Toronto its not been an issue i've ever seen, I've only been to Vancouver a dozen times in the last 10 years and havent seen this racism you speak of.
Rather than read resources that may have an agenda for this type of behaviour whats been your actual experience in Canada as i'm sure before going through all the immigration procedures you'll be wanting to make an exploratory trip to your potential new home.

Welcome to the forum Kamj92

Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Asian and white couples have not been uncommon in Alberta for decades. One of my best friends is Chinese with a white wife and although they are relatively new to the city they have many, many friends. In the larger cities of Alberta mixed race couples are common, in Vancouver I don't think anyone would even notice. 3 astern cities I am less familiar with.

That is not saying that Canada does not have more than its fair share of bigots and jerk as well. Some of them use city data and might chime in. Of course as an old white man married to an almost old white women I am only speaking from observation not experience.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:25 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
When you say you don't want to be harassed are you talking about from other South Asians or everyone else? Cause it seems to me South Asians seem to have as much of a problem with interracial dating (if not more) than other people do.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamj92 View Post

.... <snip> .... Are there any places in Canada where my fiance and I would be able to live in peace without having to deal with any harassment?
Yes, pretty much any city in Canada.

Kamj92, I think somebody has been filling your head with a lot of tripe. Where have you been getting those stories from?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I don't know where in the world you heard such nonsense. I've never come across any specific, special bigotry of that sort, and that's a pretty narrow category to be bigoted towards.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I don't know where in the world you heard such nonsense. I've never come across any specific, special bigotry of that sort, and that's a pretty narrow category to be bigoted towards.
As previously posted, the most harassment the poster will ever face in Canada will very probably be from his own race. Canadians (sic) do not give a rip who, or even WHAT, Asians choose to marry.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:43 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
I think, the guy is trolling.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamj92 View Post
I've heard some horror stories about interracial dating and being an interracial couple in Canada that involves a South Asian male with a white female. Now I've heard that white men with women of minority groups are commonly accepted throughout the country and as are back men with white women couples but couples involving South Asian men with white women receive a lot of hatred throughout the country.

I am South Asian (Gujarati) and my fiance is of Danish descent. Used to photograph models for a living and I met my fiance that way. She fits the western beauty ideal, tall blonde and beautiful. Now given the racism towards South Asian males in Canada and how we are generally look down upon throughout Canadian society, I am sure that a couple like my girlfriend and I would probably be unheard of in the country for the most part. I am certain that I will run into a lot of openly racist comments for being with my fiance and people will single us out in many parts of Canada.

Toronto and Vancouver are areas I've heard where racism towards South Asian males is awful on a social level. A lot of people look at South Asian males in disgust and they are the group it is okay to be racist towards.

Are there any places in Canada where my fiance and I would be able to live in peace without having to deal with any harassment?

From Toronto. No idea what you are talking about. This city is really multicultural. This no big deal her. I would imagine that this would be more of an issue in a small town? (I am assuming as I have never lived in one). Can't comment on any other place specifically in Canada, but I would be surprised if it was a issue in any major city in Canada.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I'm from the Maritimes... I know of a south Asian man who married a redhead in my old neighbourhood, they raised kids and I think they did fine. No lynch mobs or anything of the sort... I smell a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada