Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times

Advertisements

Specific demographic attractiveness of Florida.

Golf for between $20-30.00 on lush courses you couldn't get into the parking lots in Canada for less than $50.
Restaurants up the wazzoo with a variety of cuisine to challenge anything anywhere.
Literally thousands of retirement enclaves designed specifically to cater to the over 55 crowd with amenities to suit.
Theater and arts festivals running non-stop. Got tickets to see Jackie Evancho next week.
Custom car cruises every single week.
Nowhere interesting is more than a 3 hr drive. Just returned from 4 days playing the PGA owned courses "King and Bear" and the "Slammer and Squires" at the World of golf complex in St. Augustine. Absolutely beautiful courses and scenery.
A plethora of like minded people interested only in enjoying each other's company without all the drama of "keeping-up-with-the-jones's".

As I think of more I'll get back to you but I'm tired from the drive back from St.Augustine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,862,917 times
Full disclosure: the point of the OP was that my family is heading down in early February, and I'm glad the crowds might be a bit smaller. Plus better hotel deals.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,393,698 times
Puerto Vallarta was surprisingly full of Canadians when I visited a month ago. I can't believe that they outnumbered Americans! I thought the dropping loonie and the distance would prevent this from happening. Was it really that cold!?!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,862,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Puerto Vallarta was surprisingly full of Canadians when I visited a month ago. I can't believe that they outnumbered Americans! I thought the dropping loonie and the distance would prevent this from happening. Was it really that cold!?!
Perhaps Puerto Vallarta is much cheaper than Florida??

Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,281,766 times
We vacationed in Mexico last winter. There were many Canadians in the resort, but I haven't seen them at the beach at all. Finally realized they were all congregating at some pool far away from the beachfront and all the action and noise. The "Canadian" pool was always dead quiet and full of people laying on their towels reading books and sipping beer whole day long. Why spend all that money to go to the ocean resort and then spend your vacation laying at the pool ? Might as well just rent a room at a hotel somewhere in Arizona desert, probably way cheaper and you skip all that humidity.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:25 AM

283 posts, read 257,375 times
I would be surprised if there *wasn't* less Canadians coming to Florida... The Canadian dollar is basically collapsing, it's down to $0.70 US now.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,947 times
I guess Canadians have gone on A BOAT somewhere else.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,679,522 times
Any one know of any good apartment rental sites for Florida?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
We vacationed in Mexico last winter. There were many Canadians in the resort, but I haven't seen them at the beach at all. Finally realized they were all congregating at some pool far away from the beachfront and all the action and noise. The "Canadian" pool was always dead quiet and full of people laying on their towels reading books and sipping beer whole day long. Why spend all that money to go to the ocean resort and then spend your vacation laying at the pool ? Might as well just rent a room at a hotel somewhere in Arizona desert, probably way cheaper and you skip all that humidity.
I'm thinking you didn't give this one a lot of thought?

Mexico is FAR cheaper than some (any) hotel in the Arizona desert.

Most Mexican resorts are situated near the ocean, so in that regard, perhaps the ocean was not the numero-uno priority for everyone but rather simply the climate and amenities?

Canadians deciding to forego the "noise" and "action" of the beach scene is perhaps related to a "maturity" thing........just say'n.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,338,621 times
Stay-cation this year, due to the low dollar. We'll see about next year... I have a feeling that if I get to go anyplace warm, it will involve research, strategy, timing, and luck on a last-minute deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada