Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I beg to differ. I used to be a new Canadian. I was eager to improve my English. At that time, there was no need to do the equivalency, a translation of my diploma was OK. Still, took a year-long program in a college to get some Canadian diploma, in my field. Often such short courses are better than sitting for three years complaining that nobody would hire them.

What's more, after 19 years in Anglo Canada, I have moved to Quebec (with zero French) and am undergoing anew the proverbial adaptation. Quebec requires to do equivalency of diplomas, so you do it, - what is the big deal? The wait may take a month, three months, six month, a year, but you will get it. Again, is it better to sit and complain? I see young- and middle-age newcomers from Arab countries (where French is widely spoken) - they take the same courses as me, to get a Canadian diploma and to break into a profession.

I don't get it. If I, in my late 40s, am able to learn French from nothing, what keeps these new immigrants from doing the same?
I too used to be a new Canadian. I had to learn both languages, but only used one on a daily basis.

I wonder if post-secondary technical schools specifically target new immigrants for income. Newcomers are happy to wash the burger joint floor for months to save enough to enrol in a technologist course, with a promise of work, and stats support that the graduate is working, but the omitted point is that the certified (not diploma) technologist is still washing floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:35 PM

Seriously. What's going on that new immigrant families are now housed in motels for weeks? That's not what used to happen, but, then again, immigrant is different from refugee. Should refugees be viewed as immigrants if the Canadian gov't has screened and selected them for immigration?

Old immigrants rented and saved money to buy. Then they built a city and a country, one with rich culture.

Is Canada Refugee program delegating where people will live and sometimes it takes a few weeks - therefore the lengthy motel stay? If so, I like that. We wouldn't want to see a repeat of Paris and Belgian enclaves.

Last edited by Lieneke; 02-26-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
Why would anyone vote for him since he had these plans for Canada.
Why support Foreigners to take away Canadians jobs and resources.
Put own Citizen first.
there are no positivies bringing in refugees

Justin is the new Angela Merkel 2.0
RIP Canada
Trudeau like all liberals, capital "L" or otherwise does what feels good, not what makes sense.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default The motel thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Seriously. What's going on that new immigrant families are now housed in motels for weeks? That's not what used to happen, but, then again, immigrant is different from refugee. Should refugees be viewed as immigrants if the Canadian gov't has screened and selected them for immigration?

Old immigrants rented and saved money to buy. Then they built a city and a country, one with rich culture.

Is Canada Refugee program delegating where people will live and sometimes it takes a few weeks - therefore the lengthy motel stay? If so, I like that. We wouldn't want to see a repeat of Paris and Belgian enclaves.
The motel situation has been going on for years. This in not new. There are motels in south Scarborough where the government has been doing this for years. To my understanding it still beats living in the living conditions these refuges were living. It is usually for a few months at best. I do not see this as a big deal. The places sure beat where I was living when I was a student. As I use to tell myself... it is just temporary ... and guess what it was. Being new somewhere is never easy. I don't think the government really dictates where they can stay? I new refuges from Iraq that went threw this process and went from the motel, to finding a place to rent and they deciding to related to Alberta and this all happened in a year or so.

On another note I would much rather these motels be temporarily housing refugees then being rented out by the hour (if you know what I mean).

Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM

Another sad day in Europe with ISIS lunatics bombing Brussels. Canada needs to protect its' people, land, and quality of life. I don't believe for a moment that ISIS lunatics were not able to seduce overworked Canadian immigration screeners with sad stories.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
For some time i was rather compassionate about the plight of Muslims but i'm starting to change my mind and starting to view Muslims with some measure of suspicion and trepidation as theres a certain element within their culture that really likes killing people.
I;m now not so sure bringing tens of thousands of these refugees to our country is the right course of action,while my logic says the vast majority of these refugees are not terrorists i'm sure with this many people the seeds of discontent are coming with them..
My sympathies to the friends and families of those murdered in Belgium today.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
I think the key to defeating ISIS is intelligence, not bombs. Most of the Syrian refugee families seem very grateful to Canada and are invested in ensuring a safe future here for their children after the horrors they have been through. I wouldn't be surprised if some might learn information through relatives, friends and acquaintances worldwide that they make sure gets passed on to authorities. Some might become involved in the intelligence community themselves. I guess we'll never know.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think the key to defeating ISIS is intelligence, not bombs. Most of the Syrian refugee families seem very grateful to Canada and are invested in ensuring a safe future here for their children after the horrors they have been through. I wouldn't be surprised if some might learn information through relatives, friends and acquaintances worldwide that they make sure gets passed on to authorities. Some might become involved in the intelligence community themselves. I guess we'll never know.
There certainly didnt seem to be any forewarning from any family or friend regarding this mornings atrocities.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:11 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default I believe this is more likely ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There certainly didnt seem to be any forewarning from any family or friend regarding this mornings atrocities.
This the problem to me ... people can continue to just look for the bad in anything and then try to block out the good and the hope. I do think we need to be aware of both, but we need to sell and push the good. When people feel integrated, equal and valued members of society the chances of them wanting to become terrorist decrease. I know many Muslim people living in Toronto and most of them would 100% report any thing just like most other Canadians that would pose a threat to this country because they know and feel this is their home and they are just as important and valuable to this country as anyone else. Some times when these conversations are held we need to remember that someone readings this who is Muslim or Syrian may also interpret this as wow why do people think this way about people like me? They don't know me but they assume I am teriorist and am not Canadian as them. It can be interpreted as a symbolic slap in the face. The boarder society does not embrace me, but the pposite side of the spectrum (ex the extremist) are trying to pulling me in and make me feel like I am valuable, can make a different and belong. Often these extremist fill these voids for people that feel isolated, not valued or decrimated against by the broader society. The boarder society needs to be more conscious of trying to fill this void in a positive way before these lost people get sucked in to a negative situation.

Last edited by klmrocks; 03-22-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This the problem to me ... people can continue to just look for the bad in anything and then try to block out the good and the hope. I do think we need to be aware of both, but we need to sell and push the good. When people feel integrated, equal and valued members of society the chances of them wanting to become terrorist decrease. I know many Muslim people living in Toronto and most of them would 100% report any thing just like most other Canadians that would pose a threat to this country because they know and feel this is their home and they are just as important and valuable to this country as anyone else. Some times when these conversations are held we need to remember that someone readings this who is Muslim or Syrian may also interpret this as wow why do people think this way about people like me? They don't know me but they assume I am teriorist and am not Canadian as them. It can be interpreted as a symbolic slap in the face. The boarder society does not embrace me, but the pposite side of the spectrum (ex the extremist) are trying to pulling me in and make me feel like I am valuable, can make a different and belong. Often these extremist fill these voids for people that feel isolated, not valued or decrimated against by the broader society. The boarder society needs to be more conscious of trying to fill this void in a positive way before these lost people get sucked in to a negative situation.
The guy who ran down the Canadian soldier in St-Jean was reported to the police by the imam at his mosque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada