Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is it really a Canadian film just because the guy who made it was Canadian?
LOL I have no idea. I was putting that question out there to the rest of you. There must be some criteria to determine this as for example I like a lot of films that tend to Mongrel Media. When searching their offerings they have the option of searching my country. So in order to sort that out there must be some criteria to determine under which country the movie falls. All this movie talk just reminded me of the Cinefranco film fest will be happening in Toronto in late March/early April. I have discovered some really cool movies at the festival that can be difficulty to find with the English Subtitles else where. I don't understand French well, but would watch a film in French without the subtitles, but prefer to have the subtitles there to ensure that I am getting the most out of the film and really understanding the context. I watched this one movie called MaRock after the film festival because I could not make it to watch it on the day it was playing with the English subtitles. The movie is mainly in French with some Arabic and went nuts trying to figure out what they were actually saying at certain points in the movie so now I try not to miss the shows I want to see.

If anyone one in Toronto wants to check this fest out here is the info

2016 Festival - Cinefranco 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
LOL I have no idea. I was putting that question out there to the rest of you. There must be some criteria to determine this as for example I like a lot of films that tend to Mongrel Media. When searching their offerings they have the option of searching my country. So in order to sort that out there must be some criteria to determine under which country the movie falls. ]

The country of origin of a movie is generally determined by the production company, so where the money came from.

At least officially. As a result there are movies labelled as ''Canadian" than most people think because many movies people think are American are in fact Canadian. But they are set in the US and deal with American themes.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
KLM raises a good question: how do we determine whether a movie is Canadian or not?

It may not be applicable to her question, but I do remember how we determined whether music was Canadian for purposes of "Cancon" on the radio: Stan Klees' "MAPL" system:

Music: Was the music composed by a Canadian?
Artist: Was the artist Canadian?
Production: Was the musical work produced and recorded in Canada?
Lyrics: Were the lyrics written by a Canadian?

Two out of four "Yes" answers made the musical work Canadian for the purposes of Cancon airplay.

Is there anything similar for films, including such a bright-line MAPL test for films?

Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
KLM raises a good question: how do we determine whether a movie is Canadian or not?

It may not be applicable to her question, but I do remember how we determined whether music was Canadian for purposes of "Cancon" on the radio: Stan Klees' "MAPL" system:

Music: Was the music composed by a Canadian?
Artist: Was the artist Canadian?
Production: Was the musical work produced and recorded in Canada?
Lyrics: Were the lyrics written by a Canadian?

Two out of four "Yes" answers made the musical work Canadian for the purposes of Cancon airplay.

Is there anything similar for films, including such a bright-line MAPL test for films?
I don't think it exists for movies, but I do remember that MAPL circle on 45s and LPs when I was a kid.

BTW, the top-grossing Canadian movie of all time is (or ar least was for a very long time) Porky's, which is a teen comedy about a bunch of guys (none of them Canadian) in Florida trying to get laid.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Its funny.. You could have a movie with mostly Canadian born actors, directed by James Cameron with songs by Celine Dion or Justin Bieber or any number of famous Canadian musicians, Produced and distributed by Entertainment One and yet totally and completely not be 'Canadian'. It could be set in L.A or NYC or even on a foreign planet and it would be just another Hollywood movie linked to the U.S.. The above scenario is entirely plausible

Safe to say you could use the reverse (not very plausible at all) substituting American artists and Production/Distribution companies but set in Canada and about Canadians and it would be infinitely more Canadian.

I guess the point is, if it isn't primarily set in Canada, about primarily Canadians with Canadiana as the essence of the story than can it really be 'Canadian'

Last edited by fusion2; 02-29-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its funny.. You could have a movie with mostly Canadian born actors, directed by James Cameron with songs by Celine Dion or Justin Bieber or any number of famous Canadian musicians, Produced and distributed by Entertainment One and yet totally and completely not be 'Canadian'. It could be set in L.A or NYC or even on a foreign planet and it would be just another Hollywood movie linked to the U.S.. The above scenario is entirely plausible

Safe to say you could use the reverse (not very plausible at all) substituting American artists and Production/Distribution companies but set in Canada and about Canadians and it would be infinitely more Canadian.

I guess the point is, if it isn't primarily set in Canada, about primarily Canadians with Canadiana as the essence of the story than can it really be 'Canadian'
I am not certain I would go that far but at the very least they shouldn't obsessively hide any references about Canada. Or pretend it is in the US.

No hockey or maple syrup mentions required!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I am not certain I would go that far but at the very least they shouldn't obsessively hide any references about Canada. Or pretend it is in the US.

No hockey or maple syrup mentions required!
All i'm saying is if a movie is 'Canadian' it should be primarily about Canada or primarily about Canadians for the most part. I don't really care if its Canadians who make it or not, though realistically its very rare that foreigners make movies about Canada and Canadians. Its either up to ourselves to do it in house or we'll just end up being another American city filmed here about Americans and perceived as America even if Ivan Reitman is the Director and Kiefer Sutherland is the star. You may get some American movies where in part they are actually meant to be in say Toronto or Vancouver but the central figure in the movie is American and the plot is centred in the U.S and we just make a supporting appearance like in The Sentinel or Shoot to Kill.

I guess to me a movie's national essense is based on perception as opposed to what goes on technically behind the scenes. Mike Myers may be Canadian, but if he is not playing a Canadian in Canada or connected to Canada in the movie how is that Canadian.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-29-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Hard Core Logo

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
All i'm saying is if a movie is 'Canadian' it should be primarily about Canada or primarily about Canadians for the most part. I don't really care if its Canadians who make it or not, though realistically its very rare that foreigners make movies about Canada and Canadians. Its either up to ourselves to do it in house or we'll just end up being another American city filmed here about Americans and perceived as America even if Ivan Reitman is the Director and Kiefer Sutherland is the star. You may get some American movies where in part they are actually meant to be in say Toronto or Vancouver but the central figure in the movie is American and the plot is centred in the U.S and we just make a supporting appearance like in The Sentinel or Shoot to Kill.

I guess to me a movie's national essense is based on perception as opposed to what goes on technically behind the scenes. Mike Myers may be Canadian, but if he is not playing a Canadian in Canada or connected to Canada in the movie how is that Canadian.
I couldn't be more in agreement!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I couldn't be more in agreement!
Thanks AJ.. Was just being honest.. I wasn't using an 'official' definition, just what I felt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada